Daily routines? AND what to do when out and about?

sophiecouldwe

Reaction score
im a complete novis when it comes to feeding so apolagies for the silly questions.

i would just love to hear some daily routines and what equipment i need?
AND
what you do and how you feed your little ones when your out and about?
thankyou :hugs:

Really early on we took a cold bottle from the fridge (kept it on ice) and warmed it up with hot water from a thermos. But we honestly found that too much work so bought cans of ready made and now take that along with a sterile bottle....much much easier in my opinion.

You'll want to get I'd say around 10 bottles, you go through a lot early on and it's best to have too many rather than too few. We bought packets that had 3 9 ounce bottles and 2 6 ounce bottles, but you can easily do with just 9 ounce bottles.

Rubber tongs (we used them to pull the bottles out of the water--but we used a pot on the top of the stove, never bought a sterilizer)

A kettle to boil babies water in

We also buy the ready made cans for when we are out and about, makes it much easier in my opinion!

As for bottles well we are still working on finding ones that work for LeeAnne but I would say about 10 bottles is good! We go through a ton and it was so much more work when you ran out!

We steralize our stuff just in a pot on the stove and use tongs to pull them out! I couldn't justify paying a lot of money for a steralizer when the stove did the same job!

*edit* Lots and lots and lots of receiving blankets! We only had about 6 before LeeAnne came but luckily were given a crap load thank goodness because we use them to burp and clean up her face and such..I go through about 10 a day (or so it seems) because LeeAnne spits up after every burp!

I always use the ready made cartons when we go out. They are more expensive but really easy to pack and use.

We also use ready made when out and about. We have 6 bottles but he only started totally bottle feeding about a week ago before that we were combination feeding.

My equipment is as follows:

I use the liquid concentrated formula you just add equal parts water into, it comes in cans. More expensive than the powder but I read in a magazine that this way the formula is sterile, the powder is not. I also don't have to fuss around about measuring or anything either.

Pot to boil bottles, nipples, rings, lids in (just any regular kitchen pot!)

I have 6 4oz bottles with the smallest slow-flow nipples I could find. I use glass bottles. This is enough for me, but if you want to go longer between boiling them, buy more!

I have closer to 10 8oz bottles but Elyse doesn't use those yet (however will be off the 4oz ones in a couple weeks, which is why I'm not rushing out to buy tons of 4oz bottles).

I have tongs to remove the bottles from the boiling water,

I have a sterile can opener from the dollar store I bought to keep separate for the baby's stuff.

I have a juice jug sort of container with a lid that I bought to be used ONLY for formula (I make the batch up in there, pour the concentrate in, pour the water in, shake it up--easier than stirring, and one can makes more than I need for the bottles right now so it stores the extra formula).

BIBS!! lots of bibs.. and receiving blankets (I use them for burping)..

Also when I feed her I keep a damp washcloth nearby to wipe her face when she's being messy and to get the formula out of the cracks of her neck if it drips down there.

u can buy little pots that store the milk powder and they fit into the bottles and i used to take a flask with boiled water and feed zane wen ever he needes it when he was younger. it tended to be every 3 hours from birth he wanted a bottle i started with 3oz after i stopped bf and went up 2 5oz then at 4 months i started weaning on baby rice at a certain time wen i felt he needed more than a bottle which for zane was at night so i didnt need to worry bout goin out n about.

now he got himself into a feeding routine which is breakfast cereal and maybe a bottle at 7 ish. bottle at 10 maybe then lunch (rice or jar of food at 1 then aother bottle at 4 then dinner at 7.

every baby is different and it is nerve racking when u go out for the first time but id suggest taking 4 bottles so ur covered and invest in milk storage pots which i love n maybe boil a kettle leave it 30 mins to an hour then add to a flask so its rthe right temp for wen ever baby needs milk.

hope this has made sence lol

When we're out and about, I take ready-made bottles, and park our butts up in the closest cafe, and I ask them to warm it up and I feed her there. Or if i'm in a rush and don't have time sit down, I give her it on the go, wedge it up in her pram against her blanket, and regularly take her out to burp her. But that's only when I really don't have time to stop. Which is not often, lol.

This is my best friend!
https://trus.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pG01-3730954reg.jpg
Holds enough formula for 4 bottles. Then I just bring a bottle and a bottle of water from home with me and mix the bottles up as needed! Our pediatrician reccomended NOT warming the bottles up, cause then that was how she was always going to want them. We just use water straight from the tap (per his reccomendation again) and run it cold. Never seems to have bothered her. She likes them room temp to cool. Certainly the easiest thing to do IMO.

we have the powder containers from mothercare, and take the pre-boiled water in the sterilised bottle, the measured powder in the sterilised container and the fisher price thermos, at the powder to the water and heat by sitting the bottle in the boiled water using the thermos. its pretty straight forward once you get the hang :D

edit - i do the same as donna - stop in a cafe to feed her, and have bibs/wipes/muslins in our change bag x

I have 9 9oz tommee tippee closer to nature bottles.
I find that gives me more than enough so i don't have to wake up and get straight to sorting bottles.

For out and about, I have the tommee tippee powder dispensers (pack of 6) that fit inside the bottle then just mix in as needed, as for warming bottles when out and about, i usually put the water in straight from the kettle just before going out, that way it has cooled to a nice temp by time she's ready for a feed.

For the first few weeks I just used the ready made cartons of milk, and warmed them up in a jug of hot water, was easier for the night feeds aswell.
Later on I used the milk powder dispensers and measured out the milk before I went to bed, and made the feed fresh upstairs with cooled boiled water from my thermos... and then cooled it down with a jug of cold water... Kept all this on my bedside so didn't have to leave my bed!
For going out I still use the ready made cartons for convenience really, and either ask for hot water to warm the bottle, or take the flask with me.

I had about 8 bottles at first in rotation, and use a cold water steriliser... I just make up the solution after her last bottle every night so everything is sterile for the next day.

My best purchase was this - https://www.johnlewis.com/230229463/Product.aspx?source=14798 - A godsend for storing hot water for feeds or to warm up bottles when I'm out!

i make my bottles up and store in the fridge i warm them up when he needs them. the temp of a bottle should be the same temp as body temp hun like breast milk temp our bodies arent room temp.
if i go out i take ready made in cartons and a couple of sterilesed bottles and separate the milk into two bottles they are about 50p a carton. i warm it up with a fisher price flask of hot water. takes two mins
bottles i have 4 4oz avent bottles and 4 9oz avent bottles may get more when he drinks more than 4oz.
i use cold water steriliser easy for keeping bottles sterilised and popping dummys in.
its all trial and error. bet your confused now arent you lol

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"