DandC with local anesthetic only

Sealegs

Reaction score
Has Anyone else had a DandC with local anesthetic (on the cervix) only? I have a probable molar pregnancy, and so don't have a choice about the DandC; and I'm self-employed in America, which means I have to figure out how to pay for it myself. My insurance doesn't cover anything until I've spent 7,500 out-of-pocket. I can't afford to have it done in the hospital with general anesthesia. Can anyone tell me what their experience was being awake for a DandC?

I had a D&C with local anesthetic. Personally, I would never do it again if it were at all avoidable. Everyone has different pain tolerances, but I found it incredibly painful. I'm sure the local anesthetic worked, but I could still feel all of the scraping. It is not entirely unbearable, but like I said, I would do pretty much anything to avoid doing it that way again. On the upside, even though I found it painful, the procedure itself is relatively short (10-20 minutes maybe?) and I didn't experience any pain once the scraping was finished.

Thanks for your reply! Not exactly what I wanted to hear...but I was looking for an honest answer :)

I had one with minimal anesthetic Sealegs and it was totally fine. I'd had several surgeries in the past and I just didn't want to be put under again. It was kind of weird feeling all the movement from the surgeon working away, but it wasn't bad at all. He asked me at one point if I was alright, and I remember saying "I feel like I've got a plumber in there!" I don't think he was impressed.

Sorry for your loss.

Thank you, Mowat. It's good to hear another view. I wasn't that nervous about it until I started reading about other people's experiences with the procedure, and they ALL seemed to involve being put under at the hospital. Sorry your doctor didn't have a better sense of humor :)

Hi Sealegs,

I'm sorry you are having to go this situation, sending you big hugs.

I've had a D&C done under local and I won't lie to you - yes it hurt BUT it didn't last long at all and afterwards although I felt slightly dizzy (from the gas and air) I was absolutely fine and free to go home within about 2/3 hours.

The pain wasn't constant throughout the whole procedure, it was just very painful at certain times which lasted may a second or two...

As Mowat explained above, its a strange sensation as you could feel what was going on, but I was suprised as to how quickly it lasted.

They gave me the gas and air, which I absolutely hated but they told me when to use it eg, "take a deep breath now" and although I didn't like it I do believe that it helped.

Wishing you all the best.
xx

Floating Kiss, thank you for the hugs! I needed that. I had my D&C yesterday. It was extremely uncomfortable and scary, but I got through it. Considering the cost and the side effects of being put under, I'm sure I would do it that way again. They didn't give me any gas, just numbing medicine on my cervix; but they let my partner stay in the room and hold my hand, which helped a lot. Thanks for all of your replies!

sorry you had to go through this. Insurance in America can really suck. You are much braver than I. Heal fast dear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->