darker lines mean hCG increasing- truth or rumor

S

scrubgrub

So every FAQ I read says that a darker pregnancy line doesn't mean your hCG levels are increasing. But I can't help but want to pee on some sticks to see, as my first scan was soooo light, I would hope this one would be darker...

so ladies. If I use the SAME brand of test... and FMU... would it be a good sign if they are darker. I know I see everyone here do it, but really does it show increasing, or is it just a fun thing to do?

I would say so...to an extent. Your urine could be diluted. I am no expert, but, with all my keeper pregnancies, the line has been darker...or at least got darker. When I was about to m/c, the line would def get fainter, or dissapear altogether. You are still in VERY early pregnancy tho, so I would not be surprised if it is not as dark as the control. I would only be worried if it got fainter.

Yes of course. I think I will test in a few weeks to just see. I'm just so early, but I don't want to get too excited (haha too late for that), as I MC at 7weeks before. So more just testing around then.

I know what you mean about being worried/anxious. After a m/c, it is understandable. :hug:

I did that experiment when we found out we were expecting. I used all dollar store tests and with FMU every 2 days. Yes they got darker :)

Me too - they are now so dark that they are darker than the control line. I can't believe that three weeks ago I had to squint to see them..

Good luck.

Hx

Mine have got lighter each day with m 3 M/C. I know all the leaflets say that the darkness isn't an indication of the amount of hcg, but as far as I can see, as long as you bear in mind how much you've drunk, the time of day you're doing it and all sorts of things like that, it just makes sense that the more hcg there is, the darker the line will be, to a certain extent! Altho sometimes it can just cause a lot of unnecesary stress!! Congrats btw! xx

Mine got darker too but I did have a dodgy test that was much fainter than the others and I thought I had a chemical. I ended up at the shop at 3.30am buying another test and it was the darkest test of the whole lot. Be warned some tests can show a different line thickness and colour even when they are the same brand.

Thanks. Nice to hear from both sides. I guess I'll have to play statistics and pee on a few sticks :lol: (not just a couple) and average out the trend from the result- lighter or darker. Results of course will be posted Would it change every 48 hours- as that's when everything should double?

Mine got darker too but I did have a dodgy test that was much fainter than the others and I thought I had a chemical. I ended up at the shop at 3.30am buying another test and it was the darkest test of the whole lot. Be warned some tests can show a different line thickness and colour even when they are the same brand.

Thats why I used the same brand. I bought ten tests at the same time and used them in the morning with FMU every 2 days. It did work. I tried one later in the day and it ended up looking like one of my earlier tests.

So I'm going in on Wednesday Nov 5 to do bloodwork with my doc. I feel soooo relieved.

I think that this is true. I've been using the same brand of tests and my control line is now so much darker - I've posted pics on another thread in this forum. And I've done a few. My lines were really really faint at 8dpo and they have gradually got darker and darker. I don't see how this can be a coincidence. I've also done a couple of a different brand and these have also got darker. I know they say that the control line can be different because of the amount of dye in a test but I'm not convinced.

I also found this on some website:

Frequently Asked Questions

If The Test Result Is Faint or Hard to Read, Does That Mean I Am Not Pregnant?
Pregnancy Test FAQ’s – How Do Pregnancy Tests Wo...
It’s normal for the result on the pregnancy test to be either fainter or darker than the control line. The reason it may be fainter could be due to less hCG in your urine, especially very early in your pregnancy. It may be darker if your pregnancy is more progressed. Occasionally the test may display a ‘shadow’ line when the positive result should be, disregard this if you cannot see it when holding the test at arms length away from you.

So couldn't find the original brand, but bought 2 U_check 99cent store brands. So here's today's FMU sample - much darker than last Fridays, and even the test I took last time I was pregnant.
https://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w238/wide_mouth_jar/1031080544b.jpg

https://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w238/wide_mouth_jar/1103080418a.jpg and here is todays.
The lines are definitely darker, and I would say darker than the control line. I've decided it doesn't matter if it's truth or rumor. There is something VERY satisfying about seeing a very dark line. :happydance:

Congrats, the first pic is a def positive and the second is a very very dark positive so congrats, I am sure your blood work will show very high numbers. Have a happy and healthy 9 months .

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->