David camrons bid to scrap housing benifits for unbder 25s WTF!!!

Yes I completely agree that young people need to have more experience in different places but I'm sure there are plenty more over 25's abusing the system for years. That should be tackled too.

And Mr Cameron whilst your at it, get rid of all these tax loopholes that has cost the treasury in excess of 40 billion. I'm sure that would help the deficit tremendously.

Tackling the under 25's will be just the start of it , get them sorted first then they will move on to the over 25's they've got to start somewhere

Since this news broke on sunday from speaking to people on here and outside in the workplace etc it seems the majority think this is the best idea cameron has had since he came into power I really hope this is the start of change and the sign of things to come for britain

I work (currently on maternity leave) and luckily I can pay my full rent. But I have friends that also work but do not earn enough to cover their rent and therefore they get some help with their rent. A lot of them are under 25 with a child. They are working, they are putting back into the system yet cameron wants to make it even harder for them to survive when they are already struggling?So they are being punished for trying their best to provide for their family? Not all people that recieve housing benefit are soley on benefits, in fact a lot of people that recieve it do work they just need a little help.

Also some people soley on benefits don't CHOOSE for that to happen, my best friend worked since she left school, paid taxes, rent etc. She then became pregnant and had beautiful twins, just before she was due to go back to work her son was diagnosed with the highest form of cerebal palsy. She is now his full time carer, his medical needs make it impossible for her to work and every week he has appointments, physiotherapy, speech and langauge etc. No job would be able to employ her because she would hardly ever be there. So what is she supposed to do? She hasn't chosen to be on benefits the choice was taken out of her hands.

I hate this black and white view cameron and his supporters have because in the real world it is very different. Well done Mr Cameron you are not only targeting potentially vunrable people on benefits you are also targeting hard working class people. Good for you!

I work (currently on maternity leave) and luckily I can pay my full rent. But I have friends that also work but do not earn enough to cover their rent and therefore they get some help with their rent. A lot of them are under 25 with a child. They are working, they are putting back into the system yet cameron wants to make it even harder for them to survive when they are already struggling?So they are being punished for trying their best to provide for their family? Not all people that recieve housing benefit are soley on benefits, in fact a lot of people that recieve it do work they just need a little help.

Also some people soley on benefits don't CHOOSE for that to happen, my best friend worked since she left school, paid taxes, rent etc. She then became pregnant and had beautiful twins, just before she was due to go back to work her son was diagnosed with the highest form of cerebal palsy. She is now his full time carer, his medical needs make it impossible for her to work and every week he has appointments, physiotherapy, speech and langauge etc. No job would be able to employ her because she would hardly ever be there. So what is she supposed to do? She hasn't chosen to be on benefits the choice was taken out of her hands.

I hate this black and white view cameron and his supporters have because in the real world it is very different. Well done Mr Cameron you are not only targeting potentially vunrable people on benefits you are also targeting hard working class people. Good for you!

I think you will find that it isnt so black and white and he will be targeting people who do not work at all, not those who are showing that they are contributing towards the state. And also your second point about your friend being a carer, again a completely different topic altgoether one that Cameron has said will be not be affected. Its very easy to fly off the handle and rant without listening and reading the details that are proposed in the first place. This whole idea of his is to get the people who can work out there working contributing towards the state, for the people who (and there are alot of them) abuse the system. Its to teach a lesson, to move Britain forward in a positive way. The people who are honest , innocent and claim benefits quite within their rights shall still be supported.

I think they should look more into the reasons behind youth employment rather than just tarring every young person who is out of work as 'lazy' the constant changing of qualifications necessary to get certain jobs mean that it can feel like goalposts are forever being moved and they never have enough experience or qualifications to get a job.

The number of homeless people has also gone up and would hate to see half baked proposals like this which would most likely make the problem worse.

I think they should look more into the reasons behind youth employment rather than just tarring every young person who is out of work as 'lazy' the constant changing of qualifications necessary to get certain jobs mean that it can feel like goalposts are forever being moved and they never have enough experience or qualifications to get a job.

The number of homeless people has also gone up and would hate to see half baked proposals like this which would most likely make the problem worse.

Why would they become homeless? They will go back to live with their parents and start to work. I think it will be fare to expect them to grow up, become responsible and start to earn their own money before they can start to produce children of their own.

If they are thrown out by parents/carers and have no-one to take them in or live in abusive household then they wont be able to move back home, not everyone under 25 just opts to leave howm becasue they want to.

^^ Very true I was thrown out at the age of 17 with a 6 month old baby x

I had to leave home at 18 luckily my OH took me in as I had nowhere else to go :flower:

I don't know why a Housing Benefit issue gets turned into an unemployment one. Most people claiming Housing Benefit are in employment! HB costs aren't high because of pisstaking claimants, they have risen because of the ludicrous costs of housing (and pitiful wages in basic jobs) - the only winners are private landlords who charge extortionate rents. Claimants don't gain anything from high rents. The benefit system has been helping prop up/inflate rents since without HB top-ups people would simply have to rent cheaper, and the market controls prices.

Divide and rule..... :nope:

Here is me not caring. I know it is rough, but suck it up. When I got divorced at 21 and pregnant, guess where I moved back to? My mom's house. It sucks and I hate it, but at 25 I'm moving out, my daughter has had a stable good life, and I'm almost done with university.

We were P-O-O-R and I never took anything from the government, except medicaid (health care for the LO).

My DF and I are going to be P-O-O-R in Denmark and we won't take help either.

Part of the reason I'm never moving back to England is the entitlement culture. Ridiculous.

*Note: I know sometimes things are terribad for some people in that have no family to turn to and things are going awfully. Then, and only then, would I ever think about taking some assistance from the government, but only for the shortest period of time that I could. Years is not a short time.

It's an interesting topic whenever benefits come up. I think Cameron (and a lot of the general public) need to realise that not everyone under 25 who is accepting housing benefit (or other benefits) is drinking alcohol, buying sky tv and sitting on their arses all day. What about people like a lot of us who are working hard or looking for jobs or losing hours because the work just isn't there? I read an article today that said for every one job in my city, 44 people apply for it on average. There just isn't the work there. Even McDonalds rarely has jobs going around here and we have four to choose from! Taking away one of the things that helps people survive is going to cause chaos.

On a slight side note, I think it's interesting too because when stuff like this idea comes out, you get a lot of people complaining about so-and-so living off benefits and getting to spend all day with their LO while they have to work so never get to spend as much time with their own child. Surely the option is also there for them to live off benefits and do the same? :flower:

That's what I mean.

It's all very well saying people should get jobs - where are these jobs?

It's all very well to say people on benefits should do voluntary work - but those willing to volunteer are not the workshy anyway, and surely if the work is there then it should be a paid position. (Mainly talking about things like the scheme where people were placed in supermarkets etc, or street sweeping etc - obvs not charity volunteering! :flow:)

But the thing that keeps getting forgotten - Only 1 in 8 people on housing benefit are unemployed! Most are working hard in jobs that pay too little to afford extortionate market rents.

Even the Daily Fail's own poll says No to these HB cuts!

https://johnnyvoid.wordpress.com/2012/06/27/daily-mail-readers-back-benefits-shock-poll-result/

Here is me not caring. I know it is rough, but suck it up. When I got divorced at 21 and pregnant, guess where I moved back to? My mom's house. It sucks and I hate it, but at 25 I'm moving out, my daughter has had a stable good life, and I'm almost done with university.

We were P-O-O-R and I never took anything from the government, except medicaid (health care for the LO).

My DF and I are going to be P-O-O-R in Denmark and we won't take help either.

Part of the reason I'm never moving back to England is the entitlement culture. Ridiculous.

*Note: I know sometimes things are terribad for some people in that have no family to turn to and things are going awfully. Then, and only then, would I ever think about taking some assistance from the government, but only for the shortest period of time that I could. Years is not a short time.

The thing about scandinavia is that you will pay for the benifits in your tax, for wxample i got a 1000 pound bonus for compleating a swedish course in less than a year, i had never paid swedish tax, but i still took the bonus, now i have worked for a year i have paid tax and what comes around goes around. the same when my baby is born.. me and my OH will take over a year off paid parental leave, yes its paid for by the gouvernment but we have in effect paid for it in our tax... same with child benifit. I think you will be supprised at how hard it is to not take any help in denmark whilst still paying the taxes to provide people with that help.

The thing about scandinavia is that you will pay for the benifits in your tax, for wxample i got a 1000 pound bonus for compleating a swedish course in less than a year, i had never paid swedish tax, but i still took the bonus, now i have worked for a year i have paid tax and what comes around goes around. the same when my baby is born.. me and my OH will take over a year off paid parental leave, yes its paid for by the gouvernment but we have in effect paid for it in our tax... same with child benifit. I think you will be supprised at how hard it is to not take any help in denmark whilst still paying the taxes to provide people with that help.

There is a difference between taking things you have paid into and living off of the government. If I just sat around taking kontanthjælp and never bothered to do anything to get off of it (not that that would be easy to do there anyway), that would be the equivalent of sitting on the dole or getting housing benefits and not changing my situation.

I'm pretty familiar with the system in Denmark and it works for Denmark, because in general they are responsible with it and it is a super small country.

I also know how the Swedish system works to some extent (I dated a Swede for several years before I met my XH and then when we got divorced for a few more).

but will you take nothing till you have paid taxes for enough years to cover what you take? I certainly want to contribute to the swedish system but i dont feel bad taking what i am offered. the thing is here is you cant do nothing and claim benifits (not that thats what goes on for all people in the uk, but for some people they do do nothing and claim benifits) you have to be studying or work experience.

for example if you move to denmark and have a baby the pregnancy care and birth will cost the danish healthcare system 1000's of pounds, i dont jude you for that, i am doing exactly that in sweden and there is no way i have contributed enough to cover my care and birth... but that is still taking money from the gouvernment, just in a different way than claiming housing benifit.

but will you take nothing till you have paid taxes for enough years to cover what you take? I certainly want to contribute to the swedish system but i dont feel bad taking what i am offered. the thing is here is you cant do nothing and claim benifits (not that thats what goes on for all people in the uk, but for some people they do do nothing and claim benifits) you have to be studying or work experience.

for example if you move to denmark and have a baby the pregnancy care and birth will cost the danish healthcare system 1000's of pounds, i dont jude you for that, i am doing exactly that in sweden and there is no way i have contributed enough to cover my care and birth... but that is still taking money from the gouvernment, just in a different way than claiming housing benifit.

Well my OH pays into the Danish system and has for the past 9 years or so, so that doesn't bother me (because the child would be his too). I wouldn't do a hospital birth anyway and was thinking about coming back to America to do a midwife HBAC (which will cost a couple of thousand) if they wouldn't let me there. Either way, I don't see how it is relevant. I took medical care for DD in America too when I couldn't afford it.

I wouldn't touch the Danish medical system with a 10 foot pole if I didn't have to, to be honest. :blush: I'd rather pay for private or just go back to America for routine stuff.

you should come to sweden to have a baby, its one of the safest places in the world to give birth!.. just over the bridge :)

the reason it is relevant to me is that its easy to say people taking housing benifits should suck it up if they loose that benifit but in the uk and sweden (at least) we take money in so many other ways, education, health care, public services. if you take the extreme veiw that you wont take anything in finacial help then you should take into account how much your family cost in other public areas, it costs alot more in healthcare and education of 1 child than a bit of housing benifit. my mum had me when she was 21 and she got housing benifit to pay a mortgage (it was in the 80's and you could get a mortgage bassed on housing benifit then) she was at uni and for me and my brother and my mum it was alot better to have our own home rather than live with my grandparents. it gave my mum a sence of indipendence and a step onto the property ladder, also my grandparents had paid very high tax their entire lives (high warning jobs) so why should they have to share their house with small children when they had been parents for 20 years allready. my mum is a teacher now and a big contributer to tax so i think that those years of help were a good thing. I do feel its not right for people to do nothing and be paid for, i think education and volentry work would be great for society and for the individual.

the thing about rejecting financial help is that you are not only rejecting it for you but also your child, im not sure about denmark but here they dont think any child should live in a poor family which is why there is so much support and so little poverty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->