dealing with the loss of a pet

marley2580

Reaction score
We discovered today that our 12 year old dog has an inoperable tumour - odds are it's cancer and we're going to lose her at some point this year. How am I going to explain this to my kids? My 3 year old is probably too young to care that much, but my 5 year old will, won't she? When do I tackle it? Do I wait until she's close to the end? Or do I start laying the groundwork now? We've had pets die, even recently, but none as important as Willow. I'll be upset and they'll see that.

Sorry you have to go through this :hugs:... do what you feel is best... but personally, I would wait to say something. I think kids at that age don't comprehend time- I remember my friend telling her 5yr old they would go to the zoo tomorrow, and 5mins later he asked "is it tomorrow yet?". So I think waiting till you knows she's at the end would probably be best.

I'd just be honest- within reason and keep it age appropriate. Like you said, the 3yr old won't really get it... but the 5yr old will probably just need some extra comfort.

:hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->