*** December Snowflakes 2012 *** 158 Snowflakes - 36 born so far!

Just got a call about my blood results. It's highly unlikely that my child will have Down syndrome or trisomy 18 (1/10000). However the neural tube result was like 1/388 and they said there was a problem with one of my analytes (? spelling?) that means something may or may not be wrong but they think it is unlikely.:shrug: I'm not sure whether or not I should be relieved or scared. I'm so confused. I see my OB on the 12th and he will have gotten these results as well so hopefully he can make it all a little more clear for me. Anyone have any clue what any of this means? I'm really starting to worry.

Just got a call about my blood results. It's highly unlikely that my child will have Down syndrome or trisomy 18 (1/10000). However the neural tube result was like 1/388 and they said there was a problem with one of my analytes (? spelling?) that means something may or may not be wrong but they think it is unlikely.:shrug: I'm not sure whether or not I should be relieved or scared. I'm so confused. I see my OB on the 12th and he will have gotten these results as well so hopefully he can make it all a little more clear for me. Anyone have any clue what any of this means? I'm really starting to worry.

Try not to worry hun. I'm sure everything will be fine. 1 in 388 is nothing. I think it's electrolytes not analytes. Actually I'm not sure, I could be wrong.

great video daydream these gender reveal parties are a brill idea, tho i dont think i could manage to keep quite long enough lol..

Thanks for all the team updates everyone so far :thumbup: I've added the storks by our names on the list.

Jumik - welcome & congrats hun :flower:

Lillylee - try not to be upset hun, I wouldn't of rushed off to hospital either. Take it easy, and eat breakfast next time before going on a cleaning rampage in the blinding heat :haha:

Stark - I understand how you feel hun, I would have liked a boy as OH says he doesn't wnat any more than 2 kids :( but I have all sisters and we all grew up the best of mates and it was so much fun (although gthere were the few arguements too!), and so I can't wait to see my girls grow up together. I'm sure it'll be the same for your boys :)

I had my very late 16 week appointment yesterday (missed the original date as I was on my holiday), and it was great. Got to listen to baby's HB and my fundal height was measured which is spot on for my EDD. I also called up that private scan place I went to to book in for my rescan after complaining about the scan I had @ 16weeks. Going to a different branch of theirs this Sunday, so excited to see baby again and how much she's grown in 3 weeks! Hopefully I'll get some amazing pics that I can share with you all this time x

Oh hun please try not to worry :hugs: I'd wait until you spoke to your OB, or even ring them for a chat if you are overly concerned. 1 in 388 risk doesn't seem that low to me, but I'm no expert of course. I didn't even know what that test was so just had to google it and still couldn't find much info x

Bean and ttc lolly thanks for responding. I'm in the US and for my 12 week scan when they check for down syndrome etc they took the first set of bloods and then at 16 weeks they took another set, no u/s that time. The chance of neural tube defect is 1/388 which means there is a chance that the neural tube didn't close correctly or something like that. The woman who called did say that they will need to do an extra scan at 32 weeks because of it but they will check it at the 20 week scan and the risk level may go down. And she definatly said analyte. I think it's just a sample of blood that they tested for something- whatever they tested for was slightly off. She said it could mean there is a problem with baby or it could mean that I'm going to have preeclampsia or early labor. It will all be rechecked and discussed At my next appts. I'm very worried and confused and I cried for a long time yesterday. I'm going to call today and see if they can better explain it to me as I'm really upset about it. Thanks for being the only ones to respond though. I really appreciate it.

:hugs: ImSoTired :hugs:

Call back if you want. It's their job to make it make sense to you.

Bean and ttc lolly thanks for responding. I'm in the US and for my 12 week scan when they check for down syndrome etc they took the first set of bloods and then at 16 weeks they took another set, no u/s that time. The chance of neural tube defect is 1/388 which means there is a chance that the neural tube didn't close correctly or something like that. The woman who called did say that they will need to do an extra scan at 32 weeks because of it but they will check it at the 20 week scan and the risk level may go down. And she definatly said analyte. I think it's just a sample of blood that they tested for something- whatever they tested for was slightly off. She said it could mean there is a problem with baby or it could mean that I'm going to have preeclampsia or early labor. It will all be rechecked and discussed At my next appts. I'm very worried and confused and I cried for a long time yesterday. I'm going to call today and see if they can better explain it to me as I'm really upset about it. Thanks for being the only ones to respond though. I really appreciate it.

sweetie I replied to you in our other thread in 2nd tri, onions, sweet potato etc. I said I'd probably try ring and see if someone can give you some answers. Really hope its just something and nothing x x x x x x

I know I got your reply toothfairy in the other thread. I thanked you for it. I have a calll into my doctor now and I'm hoping they get back to me soon. Maybe they can better explain it to me so at least I'll know the full extent of my risks so I won't be completely freaking out and confused come my next appt.

I know I got your reply toothfairy in the other thread. I thanked you for it. I have a calll into my doctor now and I'm hoping they get back to me soon. Maybe they can better explain it to me so at least I'll know the full extent of my risks so I won't be completely freaking out and confused come my next appt.

I've just seen your reply on other thread. Just didn't want you to think we were ignoring you! Xxx please let us know how you get on. Good luck xxx

Yep it's definitely analytes from what I saw on google.

Please try to remember (although I know how hard it is) that that ratio is just an estimate, hopefully your scan at 20 weeks will be able to give you more info :hugs:

Let us know how it goes when you speak to your OB x

Thanks girls I'll definately let you know. I am waiting for the doctor to call me back. I was just hoping that because this thread is so big that someone would have heard of it before and maybe had a similar result. Which of course has got me even more worried that no one has. I just hope I can relax and make it to the appts without driving myself crazy with worry.

Awww hun :hugs: well I didn't even know we had a test for it here in the UK, so that may be why none of the UK ladies replied. We have the down syndrome combined testing, and maybe it's done at the same time as that :shrug:

I'm sure everything will be fine though. I had an issue with my HIV blood results when pregnant with DD and I was so distraught and scared. Of all the tests to come back maybe showing something that was the LEAST one I'd expected :wacko: my results kept coming back inconclusive and I remember being so distressed. I had to have more bloods taken to be sent to a special testing place and wouldn't get the results back for 6 weeks, and they were the longest weeks of my whole life. Turns out it was all fine in the end, just a very rare thing to happen to some ladies where their bloods aren't compatible with that particular test :shrug: of course, it happened again this time too but they had it on my records that it had all happened before. Very scary, but just another thing to test and frighten us. You and your precious cargo will be fine :hugs:

Wow I didn't know so many tests exist for pregnancy. I have to do a blood test soon too but I think it's just the basics.

Is anyone carrying really small and gets worried? My stomach is barely there and this being my first pregnancy I have no definitive idea whether I feel the baby or not which makes me worried sometimes. After losing 23lbs during first tri, I have only gained back 7lbs and seem to be holding steady at my current weight for about 3wks now so that worries me too. Sigh! Never thought pregnancy would be such an emotional rollercoaster.

Jumik everyone is different and every pregnancy, but I didn't start showing untill I was about 18/19 weeks with my first.......even then it wasn't much. Don't worry you'll pop soon! Your right though pregnancy envokes emotions you never knew you had lol

Jumik I second the emotional roller coaster. I'm not yet feeling baby and my bump has shrunken although I woulndn't say I'm carrying small. Everyone is different though and I hope that they can give you some reassurance at your next appt. I haven't gained much weight either. I think 8 lbs so far.

The nurse called me back and she said she thinks I'm safe from the neural tube defect but that the analyte is more so the problem. She said a protein in my blood indicated I may have issues and the baby might not grow properly. She said they will be checking it at every ultrasound and I may have an extra ultrasound or two to monitor it closely. I'm sure it is something I will discuss further at my appts on the 12th and 20th. She said that it isn't uncommon for certain analytes in the blood tests to come out a bit off but that sometimes there is an issue later in pregnancy- sometimes not. So I guess what she's saying is the baby is either going to grow normally or not. That to me sounds like a 50/50 shot. I'm hoping that at the ultrasound they decide that the baby is growing accordingly so I can perhaps not worry so much. Who am I kidding, I'm going to worry regardless. I suppose I'm not meant to be a happy pregnant woman but rather a nervous one.

Thanks so much girls

Jumik I second the emotional roller coaster. I'm not yet feeling baby and my bump has shrunken although I woulndn't say I'm carrying small. Everyone is different though and I hope that they can give you some reassurance at your next appt. I haven't gained much weight either. I think 8 lbs so far.

The nurse called me back and she said she thinks I'm safe from the neural tube defect but that the analyte is more so the problem. She said a protein in my blood indicated I may have issues and the baby might not grow properly. She said they will be checking it at every ultrasound and I may have an extra ultrasound or two to monitor it closely. I'm sure it is something I will discuss further at my appts on the 12th and 20th. She said that it isn't uncommon for certain analytes in the blood tests to come out a bit off but that sometimes there is an issue later in pregnancy- sometimes not. So I guess what she's saying is the baby is either going to grow normally or not. That to me sounds like a 50/50 shot. I'm hoping that at the ultrasound they decide that the baby is growing accordingly so I can perhaps not worry so much. Who am I kidding, I'm going to worry regardless. I suppose I'm not meant to be a happy pregnant woman but rather a nervous one.

Thanks so much girls

Oh honey. I am sorry you didn't get the reassurance you wanted. The good thing is that they are going to monitor you closely so from that respect you are in good hands. As the others have said we don't routinely have that test in the UK. I almost had a private scan instead of our NHS one and you could pay for an extra blood test that gave you risk factor for pre-eclampsia so maybe this is the test you have over in the USA. I suppose many of us her could be the same as you without knowing or being so closely checked. I know it's probably impossible but try remember that even on your own odds you have a 50% chance everything is ok. Lots of love to you.
:hugs:

Jumik - I didn't start showing with my first pregnancy until I was around 19/20 weeks, and even then it wasn't noticeable to others until I was around 24 weeks. Everyone is different hun :)

ImSoTired - So glad you had a chat with the nurse hun. Pregnancy is a humongous nervous time, so don't be sad or worry that that is what you are predominantly doing :hugs: the positive is that you get to see your baby lots more and will be closely monitored x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->