December Snowflakes 2014 ***Come and join!!***

@dovkav,

I haven't seen tuck pads so far, but since they are pads soaked in witch hazel, wipes sold for hemorrhoids should do the trick. Nearly all piles "salbe" brands offer wipes, i.e. hametum. I bought witch hazel water and I am planning to soak cotton pads in a container and put them in the fridge :thumbup: Witch hazel is Zaubernuss in German but it is usually sold as Hamameliswasser.

As to cloth diapers - phew...I will try, but when you talk about cloth diapering, the market is very old school, so many cloth diapering mothers are forced to shop online.

Anything starts with mull is muslin =) Mullwindeln is actually same with muslin clothes, people use for various things. But in Germany, they also use them as flats - imagine very old school cloth diapers with pins and needles... ok now they do it with snappy.

Mullwaschlappen is the same... simple muslin clothes but smaller size - used for cleaning spills, baby fluids etc. :dohh:

Moltontucher, molton is a thick fine %100 cotton fabric. It is very absorbent. It has some variations, i.e. one side molton, the other side plastic. To my knowledge, it is used as a changing pad or mattress protector :shrug: They can be also used for swaddling if both sides are cotton. Some people use small size moltontucher as prefold cloth diapers for nights. Than it is called moltoneinlage.

Diaper inserts are called "einlage" in general.

Flanelltuch is receiving blanket. They are also used as flats in old school cloth diapering.

We decided to use cotton prefolds - because all in ones, pocket diapers and other material such as microfaser, bamboo etc take more time to dry and you do not want that with a winter baby in German weather. No trockner, and no intention to buy one.

Cloth diaper covers are called "überhose". There are many different kinds of überhosen. Flushable liners are called (einweg) Windelvlies.

I do not know if it is German or Austrian, there is a brand called Popolini. It has a wide range of stoffwindeln. It sells solo überhosen but they are without pockets (google: popolini popo wrap) . I wanted one with pockets so I bought Blueberry Capri from ebay :haha: Popolini also has prefolds. I bought Xkko brand, its organic and its cheaper. It is a Czech brand and it has a .eu web shop in English- where you can order stuff with better prizes. Popolini ones were very expensive in comparison.

Disana wool diapers (strickwindlen) are also very popular. It is a German brand, so it is easily available at baby stores. If you are into lanolin, that is the brand to go by.

To visualize the German terms for cloth diapering you can use this site: https://www.blumenkinder.eu/shop/Stoffwindeln:::13.html

calibelle <3 oh those cheeks, they must be so soft, oh i m making cookie monster sound, so kissable hom nomnom.

belly cast seems a very tempting idea. I will miss it. But storage issue keeps me thinking. Probably I wont display it :shrug: where to put it? If it is going to end up at the basement... and damn i am so huge, its gonna take up so much space :haha:

Yes the tuck pads look like thin cotton pads. They're wet, soaked with witch hazel :)

Today I saw the nurse and had my flu jab, and my whooping cough jab. AND I saw the doc about my other little issue and she examined me!! Wasn't expecting that, but have some suppositories now so I'm happy. Full on morning :lol:

Cali that scan is so cute!!!!!!

Yes the tuck pads look like thin cotton pads. They're wet, soaked with witch hazel :)

Today I saw the nurse and had my flu jab, and my whooping cough jab. AND I saw the doc about my other little issue and she examined me!! Wasn't expecting that, but have some suppositories now so I'm happy. Full on morning :lol:

Cali that scan is so cute!!!!!!

Oh the joys of pregnancy :winkwink: So yours is eternal I guess. I hope suppositories help and they are not space rocket size! Mine hurt like 4 days, violent pain, agony. It drained the life out of me. I was not even constipated. Those who gave birth before talk about this "ring of fire", i think i have an idea how it burns burns burns :haha:.

Thanks ya'll! Can't wait to meet this little person.

DovKat, Germany must be culture shock? Though the Bay Area still shocks me. Where else can you see a pale, pale white woman with jet Black hair with a spiderweb tattooed on her face and man with one arm and one leg dancing -- all on the same block.

That's why I love these forums. Got my German diaper lesson today. :thumbup:

@ Pathos

I never thought about where I would put the cast, lol. Our apartment is so tiny already. Maybe maternity photos are a better idea?:shrug:

My shower is this weekend and sadly all I keep thinking is that I can take a nap after. Suddenly so tired.

My blood pressure has been spiking so I have to have antepartum testing and labs to watch for Pre E, sigh. So bummed.

Cali I feel you on that! I feel like that every day at the moment, so exhausted and still have so much to do. At this rate I'll be packing my hospital bag in labour :haha:

Sorry about your blood pressure hun, they seem to be doing a good job at keeping an eye on it! Fingers crossed it doesn't turn into Pre E x

Well I was back at the hospital yesterday and they've put me on insulin :nope:. So that's three injections a day along with the seven blood tests :dohh:.

She also told me my iron was low (first I'd heard) so iron tablets too. That'll help the constipation... :dohh:

Crap day all round!

Awww sorry con :(

Make sure you get some lactulose (sp ) to help you go because iron constipation is horrific :argh:

Awww sorry con :(

Make sure you get some lactulose (sp ) to help you go because iron constipation is horrific :argh:

I think I had that when I was on iron after Conor was born - I'll ask the pharmacist :thumbup:

Sorry about all of that Con. As if just being preggo isn't enough. At least it's not that long now.

No update on me really. Had my appt on Tuesday, all was good. Baby was still head down. A while five minutes and I was out of there, lol. This cold is sticking around as far as the cough, but definitely feeling better. Woke feeling better today than I have so steady improvement. Work is getting stressful and I want to punch everyone in the face! Six more weeks and I'll be out of there...at least for a little while.

No doubt, your maternity leave is so close!!!!! Hang in there!!:hugs:

Con,Spoonful of any kind of oil a day will help with constipation.:flower:

Cali, I was born in Europe, so German culture, food is related to my home. IN USA I always learned and experienced new things every day. I miss great public relationships in bussiness and I miss just a one second smile form a stranger. It was common to hear a compliment about my shoes or hair while I am standing in the line in the grocery store or so.

I had appoinment with my midwive and she really worked hands on my belly, she noticed that baby is not head down yet, but he still has space to move, so no worries yet. Listened to a heartbeat and all went very well.
My blood tests came back and I have elevated liver values and high cholesterol. Liver problem is a news for me but cholesterol I was always high. I'll watch my animal fat intake and my liver will improve after the birth, it's amazing organ, regenerates really quickly.
Next job is to get my compression stockings.

Here, baby is still transverse. I am still planning to eat 6 dates (week 35), drink raspberry leaf tea (week 34) and maybe try epo pills towards the end ... in case he decides to turn.

Dovkav, I was born in Greece and raised in Turkey, Cyprus, Jordan... (archaeologist parents), and North European culture is very different to me. Especially the food. I am into the Mediterranean/Near Eastern cuisine. This brings me to artichokes. Artichokes do wonders for the liver. If you like the taste, eat plenty of artichokes.

And Conina, okra is the perfect remedy for constipation.

Weird these are the two and only things I crave since the beginning.

Pathos-I don't think I've ever had either of those things! I'll definitely try the oil however

Next drama - DH's work want him to go to the US from the 9th - 12th December... I'm due the 21st and it's likely that I'll be brought in early...

Geez Con...it just keeps coming for you! Do you think he'll go? Don't they know you're preggo?! Jobs can be so selfish...I can't believe they'd ask him to go with a baby on the way...regardless of if you're brought in early or not. You could just go early on your own.

You know, it never even occurs to me that I could go early - C was so comfy he was never coming out, so I just assume this one will be the same!

DH's boss knows I'm pregnant and is very apologetic about even asking, but they really want him over there for some event that's happening at that time. He hasn't agreed just yet...

We have a friend who's a midwife in the hospital we're going to so I've texted her to see when they would be likely to bring me in. Just waiting to hear..

checking in.. 34wks as of yesterday! Had my baby shower this weekend, and it was amazing! Loved the decor, and all the people that came! pretty sure we just about everything we need now!

Decided to work till 37wks.. 3 weeks of work left!! cannot wait.. I can't wake up on time for work anymore..lol luckily no one really seems bothered by it..

Uhh Conina, really bad timing for a transatlantic travel :dohh: - how long will he stay if he agrees to go? Do you have family nearby?

We do not have private insurance so if we want a family room, we have pay for it. Do you think sharing a room with another new mama is ok, or should we book a private room? In case of c section, it will a bit expensive (3-4 days) :haha:

Goodness Pathos. I hate stuff like that. I wish people would realize that some things are better left for privacy...like having and caring for a newborn. I would splurge on the private room personally, but I know cost is a factor, so if you got it, I definitely say do it. We have private rooms and I definitely don't think I could have done shared. Between my checkups and the baby checkups I already felt like I was interrupted every minuted. Double that for another mama and her baby...

Con sorry you're having a sucky time :hugs:

Pathos, if you can afford the room I'd go private.

Hope everyone else is good :D

We had a weekend away this weekend just gone. Was lovely but I'm definitely feeling slower!!!! I'm due to finish work next Wednesday!!!!!!!!! But I have so much work to do I think I will have to work a few more days over :( :( at least the end is in sight.

Baby still has no real pattern of movement other than quiet few days and mad active few days!! Think it tires itself out lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->