• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

**December Snowflakes - 2016**

Mumof5, she's beautiful!

Ladies who are still waiting, I hope time isn't passing too slowly for you. I feel for you... The anticipation is worse than waiting for Christmas as a kid :)

Im convinced we get so uncomfortable at the end that way we're mentally ready to tackle recovery! I never got to that stage with DD1 but I was at a point with the twins where tackling a c-section recovery didn't sound so bad anymore :D

Now the twins are over 3 weeks old, I need to type out their birth story. Will update soon once that's done.

Hoping for more happy baby news in the coming days.

As promised...

On Sunday 11/13 I started having contractions 2-2.5 mins apart. I didn't think much of it that morning and drove into town to pick up DD1 from her grandmother's house, run errands, and have lunch. I started timing the contractions on the drive in and ran some errands to see if walking would stop them. Eventually we decided to go to the hospital and I was monitored and given a bolus of fluid and a dose of terbutaline. The contractions stopped, we picked up dd and were home by bedtime.

I woke up in the middle of the night with an unsettled stomach and general feeling of unease. I slept for a few broken hours and paced the house a bit but wasn't feeling contractions as strong as the previous day. I took dd to school in the morning but by lunchtime I called DH to come home because I felt like I was in labor even though I still wasn't feeling strong contractions. We dropped of the dog and dd with my mom and went to the hospital again about 24 hours after the first time!

I was monitored and was having contractions every 2-2.5 mins again and was 2-3 cm dilated so ob said it was c-section time. The spinal was a challenge to place accurately because of my mild scoliosis.

The surgeon discovered my original uterine c-section scar had separated leaving a large window through which the twins were visible. It's unnerving when your ob says "That's incredible. It's the largest window I've ever seen." And she's experienced!

The babies were born within a minute of each other at 35+1 weeks healthy and crying with 5 min apgar scores of 9.

The closure was performed while the babies were examined in an adjoining room where I could see them.

They went to the nursery while I was in recovery and were brought to me once I made it to the postpartum room. The girls were 5 lb 6 oz and 4 lb 13 oz and both were 17.5 in long.

Baby A went to nicu from day 2 - day 7 for a feeding tube until her sucking reflex developed. Happily, everyone was home before Thanksgiving.

Now it's just sleep deprivation we're contending with but the girls are doing well and big sister (3) is adjusting beautifully.

Gorgeous babies Sapphire!! Keep the birth stories and photos coming ladies because honestly they give me a real boost, reminding me I'm having a baby and not just suffering some horrible torture for no reason! Ok I may be slightly dramatic there but seriously I am so fed up it's not even funny and I'm not even due yet. False labour is driving me INSANE. I'm having strong braxton hicks all day every day which get worse when I get up and do anything. Just when I think they're different and more painful and forming a pattern, they stop. I'm exhausted after yet another very disrupted night of contractions I honestly thought were the start of labour, only to go straight back to BH again by late morning. My baby is so low now I'm getting a lot of pains in my tailbone and lower tummy from the pressure. I lost a few bits of my plug today too. I know every day is a step closer and things could happen any minute now but this is so exhausting, I'm worried I'll be worn out before labour even starts. I'm trying my best to rest and get comfortable any way I can while also keeping upright as much as possible but it's so hard and I just want to cry. I feel like all I do on here is moan but I never expected to be feeling like this at this stage! I really envy ladies who just feel normal and then go into labour because this sucks.

Beautiful babies ladies :) still can't believe I have one of those in my tummy sometimes. It's so exciting seeing your pictures and thinking that my little lady should be here in the next couple of weeks!

Grace it does sound like you've very nearly there, or maybe even in early labour. I remember feeling that way in the early stages with DS. I hope you won't be waiting too much longer as its exhausting not being able to sleep due to irregular contractions :hugs:

Love the story, Sapphire, and what beauties you have, Jessicahide and Mumof5!

Rose, I totally read your "rambling" post and quite enjoyed it haha. I'd totally check in with those builders about expectations and anything else you're concerned about. You don't want to deal with that stuff in the coming weeks. And I'm so grumpy too. Though actually feeling okay right this moment, but that can always change...

Grace - I totally feel you. I've had such a rough week. I can't even remember if I mentioned this before on here but I basically cried all day Tuesday, starting right in the middle of my oral exam for my ethics course (one day after my due date). I was cool as a cucumber last week at 39 weeks coz I felt like things were developing and I was so ready. The past few days I've just lost it... I'm in so much pain and discomfort, and baby has been so low for more than two weeks now that it constantly feels like she will just drop out my stomach.

Yesterday I had REALLY strong BH that we less than five minutes apart and really regular. I thought it might be "it" but the pessimistic side of me did not want to get my hopes up. So I didn't, and I was right not to, because they eventually subsided to normal BH. But it gave me some hope that stuff was at least happening.

Today was my midwife appointment. I walked in and made some comment about baby being slow to come out and meet us. That's when my midwife reminded me that this isn't slow at all - this is completely normal, since the average delivery date for first-time babies is NINE DAYS OVERDUE. I was like, "I knoooooow, but it doesn't help when ALL 12 women around me that are due around now have had their babies EARLY. Is is just ME who's following the statistical norms!??!?!"

Anyway, to cut a long story short, we decided to try to book an induction for next Thursday, or as soon after as possible if that date isn't available. That'll put me at 41+3. I'm having an u/s on Monday, since they apparently like to do another biophysical profile at 41 weeks, then will also have a sweep on Monday if I'm still not labour, and again on Wednesday. I really hope she comes before then (though she is not super likely to, statistically speaking), otherwise I feel better to have some plans in place, even if I would like to avoid an induction.

Do you give think it's reasonable to take a 7- to 9-day-old baby to a Christmas buffet? (She wouldn't eat the buffet, obvs ;) )

Thanks rose :) Sorry the building work is causing so much hassle :(

Sapphire lovely birth story and what beautiful babies :)

Mumof5 and Jessicahide your baby's are both adorable :)

Jezika must be hard for you but I bet it feels better now you have a date for induction, hopefully you'll have baby before then though :hugs:
Regarding taking baby out for Christmas buffet, I don't see why not but it's down to personal preference, I mean when I had my first I had it in my head that I shouldn't take her out too early but my feelings have totally changed now as I feel if all being well after I've had baby I'll be taking him out a lot sooner.

Ah, okay, that is good to know, because I honestly have no idea what to expect, or even what some reasons are NOT to take her out (will she be confused and upset? Will I have to hold her all the time? Will she be at risk of picking up bugs? Will people think I made a bad decision?). I guess I will have a better feeling about how things are at the time? I hope!

I was like that and I remember my SIL took her baby out the day after she came home so like 2 or 3 days old and I was like shocked and remember saying to my mum and sister I can't believe she's taking baby out that early you're not suppose to are you, but to have my sister tell me who was a qualified health visitor at the time say no its fine as long as everything was OK with baby and that it was an old fashioned thing that was said you are suppose to keep baby in for so many days before leaving the house and it isn't true.

Fox's birth story:

(Super long, Sorry!)

After several weeks of elevated blood pressure the decision was made at 37 weeks exactly, after a night of severely elevated blood pressure readings, headache, some protein spilling and abnormal reflexes, that I would be started on labetalol to help control my pressure until 38 weeks at which point I would be induced. Since I was seeing a family doctor who does delivery, I was referred to a consultant to help make the final decisions and to book my induction.

The labetalol helped some with my blood pressure but we were not able to maintain any stability to the lowered pressures. While I waited to reach 38 weeks, I also began having a lot of "false labour". Hours of bloody show, contractions and pain which would last all night but seemed to taper off as morning approached.

The following week at 37w6d I saw the obsetrician for the induction consultation. At that point I learned the false labour had not been all for nothing, I was already 3cm dilated and effacing, no cervical ripening needed. The doctor put me on the induction list for the next day, so I went home to wait for a call, which was likely to arrive in the next 2 days depending on how crazy labour and delivery got.

The next day, mid morning I was taking a nap when the call came in- it was time to come have a baby!
When we arrived at the hospital we spent a few hours getting settled in the room where I would be later having my son. Even though I was having my third child, it seemed so surreal I was going to finally meet him. We went though my medical history and I chose to have my water broken to see if that alone would start labour and a saline lock placed due to my history of PPH.

Finally after a long wait, a doctor arrived to break my water. I expected it to be a smooth process like it had been with my other two deliveries, but the doctor struggled to reach my cervix and had difficulty finding a pocket of fluid. She attempted but decided to call a more experienced dr to rupture my membranes.

While waiting for a second doctor, I stood up, and experienced what I believed was a small leak of fluid. Unfortunately although it was a steady leak, the nurse was unable to collect a sample to verify. After another wait a second dr arrived and attempted to break my waters as well. She could not find a pocket of fluid and determined that baby boys head was not as well engaged as she would like so she recommended we start some oxytocin to bring his head down more and to get labour going. She thought she may have scraped the membranes but had no gush. I was so incredibly anxious about starting the drip. I knew it would most likely change my plans to have a second natural birth, as with my first oxytocin delivery I found the contractions very unbearable as compared to " natural" contractions and went with an epidural.
The next time I stood to go to the washroom...I had a huge gush. My water had been broken by the second doctor after all!

Even with the water breaking and the drip, labour didn't start. I tried walking and bouncing on the ball but as soon as I would move around even the smallest contraction I experienced would stop. My IV was having a lot of problems. Blood not flushing through, reverse flow warnings....and my hand began to puff up some. There was something wrong with my IV I believed, that it was being kinked off in my wrist when I moved, but a new nurse did not think that could be the case.

After about 7 hours on the drip, I was at the maximum (of 24)without a second obsetrician consult. And no real contractions still.

My doctor arrived at the hospital and decided to attempt to break my water for a third time. She managed to get some fluid to gush, so it was determined I probably had fore waters that were preventing progress. It was also about this time that I discovered laying flat with my wrist loose caused contractions to come fast and strong.I spent quite a while in bed dangling my wrist, until contractions had a good strong pattern and then got up and started moving to cope with them.

I bounced on the ball, then after that was giving me no relief I moved to the bath. Suddenly my labour had gone from nothing to incredibly intense in a short amount of time. I started shaking, overcome with nausea and nothing I was doing would any longer touch the strength of the oxytocin contractions.

My drip was turned down but by this point I was in agony, it felt nothing like my last natural labour had. It felt unnatural and I was convinced I was dying or at least in transition. I asked to have a dilation check. My nurse checked and informed me that I was still only 4cm...the same as I'd been when my water was broken the last time before contractions had even started. I'd made no progress and yet I felt like I was dying. I decided that I needed to get an epidural, and I requested one. Even though anesthesiology arrived very quickly, by the time they did I knew that there was no way I could sit still for the epidural. I was writhing in pain and clawing at my husbands chest in tears. There was no break in contractions, just a steady, unbearable, crushing pain. At this point I made the choice to have a shot of fentanyl placed in my IV in order to keep me still enough for the epidural. I felt so defeated and afraid of suffering for any longer.

When the fentanyl hit me, it didn't remove the pain, it made me feel slow, as though I couldn't move to react to the pain anymore. Pressed against Matthews chest I felt the anesthesiologist working, but it seemed to be taking such a long time. I found out that she was having difficulty placing the needle, and failed to place it twice before finally placing one successfully. While I was waiting for the epidural to be finished I started feeling intense pressure. It was difficult for me not to clench up and I could feel my body wanting to strain. Even though the epidural was placed successfully I was told, and the fentanyl was wearing off... I was still in agony. The pressure was incredible. I rolled over on my back as soon as I was told it was ok by the anesthesiologist and my nurse checked my dilation...and I had progressed from 4cm to 10cm and ready to push in the time it had taken to place the epidural.

I was so frustrated, but fully focused on meeting my son!

My doctor came in, along with a student doctor, my nurse, and a second nurse. Eveyone had been briefed on my plan for delivery. I requested to not have to hold my legs back or to be coached on pushing and without the strain and encouragement to push hard, I felt my body slowly, steadily bear down without any real effort. Everyone stood back and I reached down and felt the top of my son's head and I was amazed as with each push he came closer and closer to arriving earth side. And then in what seemed like no time at all, I felt his head crowing and coming out. I reached down and touched his head and my doctor reminded me to stop for a moment to let him rotate, and then all of the sudden I felt his body slip out of me into my hands and I lifted him onto my chest. I could see him as I lifted him up and he felt so light and slippery and he was covered in vernix, eyes squeezed shut and head covered in wet wisps of dark hair and I held him to my chest and nobody touched him or took him, and it felt like he and I were the only people in the entire world. I rubbed his back and body with my hands to coax him to take his first breath. At 2:43am on November 25th, 2016 Fox Archer Quinn Turner entered the world and let out his first beautiful cry in my arms.

I spent the next few minutes uninterrupted, fawning over my new son, and kissing him on the head and examining every perfect inch of his little body and admiring how beautiful and amazing he is, and watching Matthew as he saw his son for the first time.

After a few minutes his cord had stopped pulsating, and my doctor clamped it off and handed me the scissors, and I cut the cord that had joined myself and my baby boy together for the past nine months. I was amazed at how fat and thick it was, especially since it only had two vessels instead of the usual 3.

Delivery of the placenta was easy and without any excessive bleeding, and I found out i'd had absolutely no tearing unlike my other deliveries, which my doctor and nurse attributed to the fact I had breathed him out rather than pushing, which I'd done completely unintentionally. They couldnt get over it and kept talking about how beautiful and peaceful a delivery it was. Around the same time Fox started rooting for the breast and latched on perfectly and nursed for over an hour, like he'd done it a thousand times before.
Despite a frustrating labour, I had a beautiful, absolutely perfect delivery and finally, I was holding my child, safe in my arms after so much waiting and uncertainty.

November 25th, 2016 at 2:43am
7lbs9oz
50.5cm long
38w1d
Fox Archer Quinn Turner
My beautiful rainbow baby arrived earth side in his mamas hands.

I really apologize for any those...typed out on my phone with baby in arms!!!

:)

Attachments

• 15194581_10157886089295694_2795315429564448123_o.jpg
    15194581_10157886089295694_2795315429564448123_o.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 15129468_10156472042976515_2340506053792889004_o.jpg
    15129468_10156472042976515_2340506053792889004_o.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 7
Thank you for sharing your beautiful story and pictures counting!

Wow counting!! Sounds like your labour was very intense but good for you on requesting to keep things as natural as possible without coached pushing etc despite needing some interventions. I feel like all we hear about is natural no-drug birth with breathing techniques and delayed clamping OR medicated births where the doctors are in full control and everything else goes out of the window. It sounds like you got a mix that was right for you and Fox which is so lovely. Congratulations again 😍

Jezika I think the buffet will be fine. We will be taking baby out quickly after the birth as long as she and I are both ok health wise. Last time I think we took DS out for lunch when he was about a week old and he did nothing but sleep the whole time and had a small feed while we were out. Oh and have a big poo explosion :haha: I guess just try and feed baby before you go and make sure you have spare clothes etc. But when they're that little all they really do is sleep and eat and poo so in my opinion it's the easiest time to take them out!!

Counting lovely pics :)

Wow counting!! Sounds like your labour was very intense but good for you on requesting to keep things as natural as possible without coached pushing etc despite needing some interventions. I feel like all we hear about is natural no-drug birth with breathing techniques and delayed clamping OR medicated births where the doctors are in full control and everything else goes out of the window. It sounds like you got a mix that was right for you and Fox which is so lovely. Congratulations again ��

I went 100% drug free with my second sons birth, and that was amazing... and I was able to help catch him but pushing was coached it was hard to catch him as I was being told to hold back my legs... and then when he came out his cord snapped, he didn't start breathing, I hemmorhaged... so the actual delivery with Fox's birth was actually way more the experience I'd hoped for with my natural birth. ( my firsts birth was oxytocin induction with epidural and the delivery was definately not what I'd hoped for, though of course meeting my gorgeous son was!)

I'm honestly so glad I'm able to say you can have multiple interventions, induction, epidural... and still have an amazing, empowering hands off delivery!

Counting, that's definitely reassuring to hear that you can have a mix... I feel the whole natural vs. doctor-led issue can be very polarizing and it was hard for me to reconcile how I can fall somewhere in the middle, even though that's what felt best for me. So this is really inspiring!

Rose - that's really encouraging re: taking baby out!

Went to my growth scan and consultant appointment today and wasn't expecting it :(
Baby is measuring 10Ibs 6 so sonogramer was mentioning they might want to induce me but I told her that I was already refusing induction.
So I went to see the consultant and get seen straight away and the first thing she says is "shall we have a baby then" and I almost broke down crying, I felt emotionally all over the place as I knew what was going to be said.
She thinks I won't be able to birth naturally due to his size and a c-section is the best option.
So I'm having baby on Thursday when I'll be exactly 39 weeks, bit all over the place today.
We have 5 full days to get head rounds things now and prepare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->