Delayed vaccination-Update-New doctor sounds promising

That is why I do vaccinate. I decided to delay, and I did opt out of the chicken pox one for now. She still needs her 18 month-2 year vaccines but even my doctor said that was perfectly fine to wait until she is going to school for it. I do not want my daughter ill... I did a lot of reading and asking around when it came to vaccines. I spoke with my doctor and the nurse as well. I wasn't going to get her first bout of MMR at 20 months, but we had cases of Measles in Canada out west I believe, so I decided obviously it was in our best interest to get it at that point.

Some people are scaremongering about vaccines. My page on FB has a lot of ladies who are anti-vax and some honestly made me feel like I was injecting loads of rat poison into my daughter. That is the stuff I do not agree with.

I completely understand what you're saying there Eve. It would be wonderful if we could fast forward to see how it'll turn out before we do anything. Unfortunately only time will tell, and we have to make desicions base on the info we have available to us right now. I choose to trust the evidence that suggests my son will only benefit from the protection the vaccines provide. But of course everyone should look into it for themselves and draw their own conclusion. I just think it should be an informed choice, if there's no evidence that vaccines cause cancer then cancer should not be used as a reason not to vaccinate.

Im sure Nat can say it in one line lol

Hmm let me try...

Unless someone invents a time machine we have to go with what we know, and what we know is that prevention is preferable to curing.

Hmm maybe I should go for a career in thought compressing - compressing long drawn out thoughts into single sentences! Now just to find someone who would pay me for that...

I totally get what you all are saying too. I just felt like this thread was so negative toward anyone who isn't vaccinating. I know some have good reasons to be upset over people deciding not to vaccinate, I really do, but I felt like some comments were really implying that anyone who doesn't vaccinate (unless their LO has health conditions) is uneducated and irresponsible. I just wanted people to know that wasn't always the case and mutual understanding needs to be somewhere in the conversation.

Hmm maybe I should go for a career in thought compressing - compressing long drawn out thoughts into single sentences! Now just to find someone who would pay me for that...

I know there are days I would! :haha:

I totally get what you all are saying too. I just felt like this thread was so negative toward anyone who isn't vaccinating. I know some have good reasons to be upset over people deciding not to vaccinate, I really do, but I felt like some comments were really implying that anyone who doesn't vaccinate (unless their LO has health conditions) is uneducated and irresponsible. I just wanted people to know that wasn't always the case and mutual understanding needs to be somewhere in the conversation.

I completely understand why some people are scared of vaccinating and choose not to. There's a lot of scaremongering about and EVERYONE justs wants to do what's best for their child. I just wish that the more extreme anti-vax groups used reliable evidence to promote their cause rather than anecdotal/biased stuff which just serves to terrify people needlessly, as it doesn't prove anything. It's the idea that all doctors/scientists are secretly promoting things that they KNOW harm children which upsets me, not genuine concerns.

I think scaremongering from either side is awful and it doesn't help anyone. :flower:

I think that there has to be a valid reason for not vaccinating, as I've said before waaaaaaaay back at the beginning of the thread :lol:

Medical reasons and violent allergic reactions to the vaccines are the two that stand out in my mind. However, just because one child has a reaction doesn't mean another child in the family will have the same reaction. It's up to parents to use credible medical sources to decide and consult closely with their doctors. I think that people are scared of doctors. I learned a long time ago that I need to be assertive and be my own advocate. Ask questions. Explain your fears/concerns. This is the only way we can be satisfied with our medical care. If you aren't, it's time to see a different doctor.

Immediate reactions never really worried me oddly, not until a friend had her young daughter get the h1n1 vaccine and now suffers from siezures (first one within hours of the shot). I still got it as I was pregnant and still had my son done, but after that I did worry more about what could happen with new vaccines etc...

^WSS (to Ozzie)

It needs to be an informed choice based on actual evidence rather than hearsay IMO.

Doctors are people too, and some are better than others. I think that they should always be able to explain why they are recommending something and point you towards studies etc so you can make your own decision, as at the end of the day it is your decision to make, as it should be.

If not, as PP said, you can always ask for a second opinion.

I completely understand why some people are scared of vaccinating and choose not to. There's a lot of scaremongering about and EVERYONE justs wants to do what's best for their child. I just wish that the more extreme anti-vax groups used reliable evidence to promote their cause rather than anecdotal/biased stuff which just serves to terrify people needlessly, as it doesn't prove anything. It's the idea that all doctors/scientists are secretly promoting things that they KNOW harm children which upsets me, not genuine concerns.

I think scaremongering from either side is awful and it doesn't help anyone. :flower:

Agree with this. There are no guarantees. No guarantee that your child won't have a reaction, no guarantee that they won't catch something anyway. But those risks are far smaller than the risk not vaccinating poses, which would be a higher likelihood of cathing or passing on one of these illnesses. Maybe you will get lucky and never get sick but I'm not taking that chance with my son, personally. No matter what you do there is some kind of risk.

I am in agreement that it's scary no matter what you do as a parent. I was a wreck when my son had his 1st shots.

Immediate reactions never really worried me oddly, not until a friend had her young daughter get the h1n1 vaccine and now suffers from siezures (first one within hours of the shot). I still got it as I was pregnant and still had my son done, but after that I did worry more about what could happen with new vaccines etc...

But was the seizure directly related to the ingredients of the shot or was it a febrile seizure caused by the fever that can happen after some jabs?

I'm absolutely NOT saying that it definitely wasn't the shot, but just pointing out that sometimes it can look like it when there are other things at play. Febrile seizures are common in young children and can happen due to fever from any cause, so if the baby had caught the disease the vaccine was for it probably would have happened then too....there's no predicting it as it can be sporadic.

I am not sure, but I know she has them quite regularly now.

I just remember how scared and upset she was, and I felt terrible. She asked for a while on FB to those who had the vaccine, how it went etc.. as she was so worried to get her kids done. I said that I think it's fine (I didn't have ours done yet) and told her not to worry, and then that happened. Could have been a coincidence for all I know, but she was so upset and blamed the vaccine, and I felt so bad as I basically talked her into getting it.

:rofl: was talking to a close mummy friend of mine today. I was wrong :dohh: I admit I now know someone locally who has had the measles. (where is a bowing emote when you need one?). HOWEVER, here's the clincher. The one who got the measles (she got it twice) had her full MMR vaccinations, shes also had the mumps and rubella (wow) and was obviously vaccinated against them. Healthiest kid ever, hasn't been the the doctors in 4.5yrs.

I just remember how scared and upset she was, and I felt terrible. She asked for a while on FB to those who had the vaccine, how it went etc.. as she was so worried to get her kids done. I said that I think it's fine (I didn't have ours done yet) and told her not to worry, and then that happened. Could have been a coincidence for all I know, but she was so upset and blamed the vaccine, and I felt so bad as I basically talked her into getting it.

:hugs: It's totally not your fault, and it isn't anyone's fault. You did the same as I (and most people I think) would have done in that situation :flower:

If she has seizures regularly now it seems that she probably has some tendancy towards them (again I'm speculating as I don't know) which she probably has always had. Her first seizure could have been triggered by a fever after the jab (more likely than the jab itself IMO) but something would probably have triggered it at some point anyway, any fever from any illness. If she hadn't had the jab and had gotten an illness with a high fever, it potentially could have been even worse I suppose.

Seizures are terrifying and I can understand her mother's fear but sometimes the jabs get blamed for things which would have happened regardless, as it's easier to have something to blame than to accept that things 'just happen' (the same happened with the MMR).

We're all human, and can sympathise with that, and as mothers it's all too easy to blame ourselves for anything bad that happens to our LOs - it's in our genes! But in most cases there's nothing anyone could have done to change things, which is difficult to accept :flower:

:rofl: was talking to a close mummy friend of mine today. I was wrong :dohh: I admit I now know someone locally who has had the measles. (where is a bowing emote when you need one?). HOWEVER, here's the clincher. The one who got the measles (she got it twice) had her full MMR vaccinations, shes also had the mumps and rubella (wow) and was obviously vaccinated against them. Healthiest kid ever, hasn't been the the doctors in 4.5yrs.

The vaccines don't necessarily stop you from getting the diseases (I had all my vax and got measles, mumps, rubella, chickenpox, scarlett fever, whooping cough - honestly I had EVERYTHING as a child. I don't know where my mum was taking me..... :haha:).

They aim to stop you dying from, or being permanently damaged by, the diseases though :flower:

The vaccines don't necessarily stop you from getting the diseases (I had all my vax and got measles, mumps, rubella, chickenpox, scarlett fever, whooping cough - honestly I had EVERYTHING as a child. I don't know where my mum was taking me..... :haha:).

They aim to stop you dying from, or being permanently damaged by, the diseases though :flower:
Of course, and my mum has had mumps haha. I was just like 'wow really?'

So, started reading this thread late last night- very interesting. I don't have any expert knowledge around vaccination, but isn't it more to prevent death when you catch a disease, rather than preventing you catching it? Like a previous poster, I had everything going (measles twice, mumps, rubella twice, chicken pox& whooping cough at the same time! etc) despite being vaccinated x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->