Denied skin to skin contact

Good luck, be brave! Your his mummy at the end of the day :thumbup:

Hey,

I found that it really depended on which hopsital, the level 3 unit we had Harry in, they were so up for it, we were 'lucky' we got to hold harry the same day he was born and they were always encouraging us to do kangroo if he was doing well, but when we transferred to a level 2 hospital (aka, the shithole) i wasnt allowed a hold for 13 days because they didnt think he was well enough (he desatted but this was normal, they hadnt set his o2 at this point but he always brought himself back) and when i was finally alowed a cuddle, they made me put a curtain around me so not to make other people feel uncomfortable!!!!

Go to the matron and explain everything, there are studies which have proven how much kangeroo care can help prems!!!

Took my print out in tonight, said I'd like to discuss skin to skin again and here's what bliss have to say on the matter. Noah's midwife said "yes it is a good idea but it's only really beneficial for very early babies. Noah is 35 weeks tomorrow. If you really want to, I suppose you could tomorrow morning."

I suppose it's a small victory :thumbup: but still a stupid response. They just don't seem keen to promote it at all.

Only for realy early babys :saywhat: If its only good for realy early babys then why do they encourage skin to skin for babys born at term?

Yup, still a stupid response if u ask me, but at least the nurse knows u wont back down. ;)

Skin to skin contact is important for ALL babies, term or preterm. And actually, stuff it, you want a cuddle. So thats that. You're mum!!!

I think this week I'm just going to be more assertive. If I want a cuddle I'm going to have one unless they can tell me why. I obviousy wouldn't disturb him just after eating but at any other time I can't see how him being curled up warm and cosy with his mum would be a remotely bad thing!

We were told (at a hospital that promotes skin to skin) that it really depends which nurse is on and whether they are confident in kangaroo care or if they have had a bad experience with having a LO out before etc! We waited 4 weeks to get a cuddle with Jessica and for the first week after that it depended who was on but it quite quickly became a daily occurence even if only for a few minutes if she got tired.

Im with the other girls tho, when Jessica got moved into an open cot I just started taking her out when I wanted to (at times beneficial to her obviously), you are his mum and can cuddle him whenever you want! You go girl!!! Its hard enough being a preemie mum without someone telling you you cant cuddle your baby!:hugs:

i wish i had known this ^^^^ i didnt even think to ask and i really struggled to bond with Cam at first. def push for it and thats pish about it only benefiting for earlier babies. it would have helped me LOADS if i thought about it xxx

Have they tried tube feeding him over 30-60 minutes? My LO had reflux while he as in the NICU, and if he was tube fed too quickly, he would spit it up, so they fed him over 45 minutes, and sometimes over an hour. He was fed every 3 hours.

As for them denying you skin-to-skin contact, that's a first. The staff at OU NICU were very pushy about skin-to-skin, and urged parents to do it on a daily basis if possible, and for at least an hour at a time.

I held my baby skin-to-skin every day (as long as he tolerated it) until he was allowed to wear clothes, then I held him wrapped in a blanket. Once he started wearing clothes, I no longer needed help getting him out of the incubator, so I just started picking him up myself (out of the incubator). It also became a lot easier when he was moved into an open cot -- I held him the entire time I was at the NICU once that happened.

Skin-to-skin is very good for baby, so I would complain and do whatever you can do to get them to change their minds. That's not right at all for them to deny you! :nope: ALL babies benefit from a cuddle, even full term babies!

I have asked if the tube feeds could be slowed down to stop him being sick but was told that since they are gravitationally feed with now force from the syringe the speed can't be adjusted. I know if they did it slower he'd be fine, as it takes him 35-40 mins to take the bottle feed we get to give him and he doesn't bring that back up.

He did tolerate two tube feeds yesterday without being sick now that they have added medicine to his milk. Hopefully he'll have manage the two during the night :thumbup:

what a buncha bull! My son was in the most advanced hospital in the city - the only one to treat micro preemies like him. They strongly encouraged skin to skin. As soon as he had the minimal weight (800 grams) they encouraged us to do so every day, for at least an hour, up to six (!!) if we wanted.

It took 22 days to get to that weight but after that the nurses would patiently unhook him, untangle the wires, carefully move him to my chest, rehook everything etc. It was very LONG to set up - my poor guy had up to 3 IVs at a time - and STILL they would always take the time to do so when I asked, no matter how busy they were.

I can count on one hand the number of times I was told no in 105 days, and each time it was either because he was too sick (sepsis) or his neighbour was unstable and the nurse didn`t want to risk two babies to be in difficulty at the same time.

I remember when we finally started cpap (after weeks of high frequency, ventilation etc etc). Once I became more confident and held him longer, his oxygen needs dropped very quickly from 80% to 35%. I really got the impression the kangaroo care helped.

babies need the warmth and reassurance of a parent, especially in the cold, sterile environment that is a nicu. It`s instinctual and important. Hey if WE were lying prone all day in a glass box full of restraining wires and loud beeping machines, not to mention shots etc, WE would want to glue ourselves to the first person we saw. Imagine a baby that doesn`t have the experience or perspective to understand what`s going on... we wouldn`t even leave a kitten alone in a cage all day no? Then why is it acceptable for a BABY???

....sorry this topic gets me worked up a tad :blush:

Go at a different hour to get a different nurse! Or yes speak with the head nurse! How ridiculous

you GO GIRL!! :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"