Dentist work and pregnancy

MrsBandEgglet

Mummy to 3, expecting #4
Reaction score
Apologies if this is in the wrong place but I'm having some real jip with a tooth at the moment. I'm absolutely terrified of the dentist, I hate it. I panic and it makes me feel sick when I so much as go in one, so in all honesty I never ever go unless I strictly have to :blush: I'm not even registered with one here but this tooth is starting to hurt quite a bit now and I feel crappy. Obviously though I'm 36 weeks pregnant, does anyone know if a dentist is even likely to be able to do much all the while I'm still pregnant? I presume I'm gonna need an x-ray because I don't actually know which one it is and what's actually the matter with it. It feels like it's bottom left and I suspect a filling has come out but can't be sure :shrug: I've been taking two paracetamol twice a day, 8am and 8pm but it gets to like 5pm and I'm longing to take some but I can't. I really hate toothache but I hate going to the dentist more and I'm dreading it :cry:

I'm with you on that one, im absolutely terrified of the dentist. I haven't got one ATM either. But my friend is a dentist and she says the best thing to do if you're nervous is to go regularly so they see whatever's wrong and catch it early. But that doesn't help you now I guess. When I need to go I just psych myself up and promise myself a little treat after. I've heard of ppl having work done in pregnancy no problem. Hope it goes ok for you x

You probably wont need an xray because they can likely see whats wrong. They dont do them very often anyway. They can do lots during pregnancy, its recommended you go more while pregnant!

I hope you get it sorted soon!

They wont xray you while pregnant i dont think?! My tooth cracked in half when i was pregnant with Zach, i was about 18 weeks. It was fucked, but they wouldnt pull it while i was pregnant. They put a temporary filling in and i had it out when he was a couple of weeks old.

My dentist wouldnt, he wouldnt even do a scale and polish on me untill after id had baby

My dentist wouldnt, he wouldnt even do a scale and polish on me untill after id had baby

Oh God I hope they'll do something; it's feeling worse tonight and I can't have any more painkillers til 8am :cry:

I've heard cloves are good for toothache?? never used it before. all the good stuff is off limits in prgenancy isn't it :c

I think it depends on the dentist.
My dentist wouldnt touch me while I was pregnant with lo but when I was pregnant just before the mc I had to have my wisdom teeth our and the hospital said to leave it while I was in first tri but once I was established in second tri there was no problem with havimg dental work done.
Jusr to stress my mc was notginf to do with having the teeth out, it happend the week before.
Some will even do a xray while your pregnant and just place a lead lined vest over your stomach, they while pretty much make you sign every waver going though..
My current dentist says there is no known links between pregnancy problems and dental work its just one of those things most dentist dont want to touch so they can never be blaimed

My normal emergancy treatment works pretty well for me for a fare few hours till i can get to a dentist (well actualy iv been doing this every 10 hours for the last 3 months because i hate my dentist)
Brush your teeth with sensative toothpaste, rinse with warm salt water then rub some of the sensative toothpaste on the gum around the painfull area.
Normaly eases the pain for 4-8 hours for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->