"Detailed scan" ???

Louise

Proud mum to baby Nick
Reaction score
Ive been reading all about it and probably scared myself half to death!
Has anyone ever had a detailed scan and been told there is a problem?
My friend leah said that with her second child she was told he had a hole in his heart but when he was born he was fine.
I didnt realize they looked into things so much on this particular scan.

Can you peeps tell me all about it to ease my mind please? Thankya, Thankya. :hi:

Are you considering one?

Can I be blunt ... Ok I am going to be but feel free to tell me I've over stepped the line!!

Your VERY edgy as it is ... a little worrier :hugs: I don't think you going for one of these if your considering it the best of ideas.

Are you considering one?

Can I be blunt ... Ok I am going to be but feel free to tell me I've over stepped the line!!

Your VERY edgy as it is ... a little worrier :hugs: I don't think you going for one of these if your considering it the best of ideas.
The hospital are giving me one on Friday- nothing I can do about it apparently. I signed the consent form at my last ultrasound totally unaware of what they actually looked for. :( And yea, Im shitting myself.

Ah I thought this was a private thing.

Sorry not quite got to this stage yet ...

I gather if you said yes it is optional so surely they can't 'make' you. Oooo some of the other girls would be better on this one I think.

I wouldn't worry sweetie to me it sounds like you have a kicking little boy there & a born worrying Mummy lol x

You don't have to go to any scan, its routine.

Your not made to sign anything to say you have to go.

Ah I thought this was a private thing.

Sorry not quite got to this stage yet ...

I gather if you said yes it is optional so surely they can't 'make' you. Oooo some of the other girls would be better on this one I think.

I wouldn't worry sweetie to me it sounds like you have a kicking little boy there & a born worrying Mummy lol x
Born worrier? you can say that again.
Im sure like most girls here, we have all looked for diagnostics on the internet havent we? I am TERRIBLE for it and I do it all the time.
I spoke to Sam about it and she said its absolutely nothing to worry about but I cant help but feel that I will be one of those people that will get a long ass ultrasound with endless amounts of issues.
Its just the thought of them being able to find out if the baby has water on the brain, a hole in the heart, abdominal issues etc:, so many issues can be found and that's what scares me....

I know we all go through it but as I have never been pregnant before, Im sure it's a little more scary for us first timers.

Again I will say, I will be thinking of you on thursday x x x

You don't have to go to any scan, its routine.

Your not made to sign anything to say you have to go.
If you dont mind me asking, how did you find your detailed scan? Any different from the rest you have had? x

we never used to get detailed scan. most places just get the 12week scan and thats it unless they are high risk. i had a detailed scan with both my too. as my little sister died from sina bifida so i had a high risk of my children having it.

but all was fine.

my mum had 2 spinabifida babies one she found out at 20weeks detailed scan and it was very serve so she ended the pregnancy.

the detailed scans are good they look at every thing.

but if there was a problem but you no it would not change your mind having th child or not then dont think it is worth going to them

No

Just check and measure the spine, Legs, head curcumfrance and belly etc

Tis all fine.

xxx

Dionne, couldnt they detect spina biffida on the blood tests? Im sure I had a test for that *shrugs* (By the way, sorry to hear of your loss :()

And Imi, is that all they did?
According to the net (yes I know, I shouldnt be reading up on things) They look at kidney, liver, stomache, heart, bones, toes, brain, fluid... THE LOT. ((sorry to panic))

They do this also and tbh its not that worrying!!

They check all chambers of the heart and see if the kidney and liver is functioning correctly.

Stop reading on the net, your just gonna make yourself crazy

They do this also and tbh its not that worrying!!

They check all chambers of the heart and see if the kidney and liver is functioning correctly.

Stop reading on the net, your just gonna make yourself crazy
I know, I wish I hadnt of looked because I wouldnt of known anything about it until it was over.

Thanks for the responses though :) :hugs:

Dionne, couldnt they detect spina biffida on the blood tests? Im sure I had a test for that *shrugs* (By the way, sorry to hear of your loss :()

And Imi, is that all they did?
According to the net (yes I know, I shouldnt be reading up on things) They look at kidney, liver, stomache, heart, bones, toes, brain, fluid... THE LOT. ((sorry to panic))

they d check all that they check every thing
but you cant make most of it out tbh.

they count every bone etc

they d check all that they check every thing
but you cant make most of it out tbh.

they count every bone etc
Well that's just brilliant. Absolutely fantastic. (note my sarcasm, but its not towards you :) )

Thanks for the info :)

Please try not to worry . The scan is for your and your babies benefit. If they think there is a problem they will monitor you more closely. My freinds sister lo had a problem with heart and they are monitoring but over time the problem is reducing, however she is getting more regular checks ,will not be allowed to go oveer dates, may be given a section and bubs will be closely monitored, Bristol will also be on stanby IF they needto intervene medically.

I'm not trying to worry you but point out IF there is a problem and i mean IF it just gives you the care you need.

My cousin was born with large hole in heart and is fine now, but when i had scan this time (didn't find out till recent) they checked very carefully. I was bricking it in case they found anything
butt was all ok.

Its only natural to worry about scan, but STOP looking on tne net and winding yourself up, post here and we will try and help.

They looked at everything with Seren. My sonographer was helpful and pointed out which bit was which - we saw the brain, the heart chambers, liver etc. It was very thorough but was fun as we got to see Seren again. I was nervous before hand - I was with every scan, convinced that this was when they were going to find something wrong. Like you I am a worrier and I suffer from anxiety so yes I did get myself in a state but these are routine scans and they are there so IF (and it is a big IF) there is a problem they can help prepare you or treat it sooner. Yes bad things do happen to people but there is no reason why your baby won't be healthy. Try not to get to anxious,, after the first second scans are great fun and a way to meet your baby again. Let us know how Friday goes and post pics of your scan :)

my detailed scan i thought was ace!!!!!

we got to see everything! even the little creases on the bottoms of Rhys' feet!

I had a detailed scan with Rebecca, as Dale's sister died at 2 days old with a congenital heart condition that could be hereditory. All was fine. x

Thanks for the responses ladies, :)
I still feel extremely frightened about it though and as friday gets closer, the faster my heart races and my mind fills will fear!
I know I worry alot and I pitty you girls for having to read some of my threads sometimes, but honestly, I really am truely petrified- this isnt a paranoia thing, its more than that!
I was born with water on the brain, but they never knew what caused it. My mum though, was heavily drinking and taking drugs when pregnant with me but I cant see how that would contribute to water on the brain.
Presumably the water is the fluid inside the 'bubble'? Im worried that my little one will have it too, I mean can it be passed on? I was basically dead when I was born, survived, but I died on more than one occasion- I just dont wanna go through that with my little one because according to my family, it was a struggle to keep me on this earth. :(

I keep watching my DVD of my little man and thinking to myself, 'what if this is all we'll have left of you'- sad isnt it? pregnancy is meant to be the joyest time of a womans life but until my baby is born, it's going to continue to be one of the worst for me.
Actually, i'll probably be posting on here when hes born, worrying about ridiculous things such as "He has a pimple, is it meninghitis".
Once again girls, sorry to moan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->