Developmental disorders/learning disabilities/genetic syndromes & more support group

we always planned on having babies close together, we planned to start in April/ May, but I had s few iud issues, and it had to come out, even though we had thought to wait until September. after a long discussion we felt it would be best to let it happen. if it's meant to be, it will be.

I'm pretty excited for testing. this is the first month I feel pregnant, but I'm not sure if it's just having my hopes up, or if I actually am. I think I'm actually going to test, rather than the usual wait to see if she shows, so we will see what Sunday brings :)

anna: Gabriel only started identifying his nose, and many babies that have no " issues" didn't start that until about 15 months... it's the only thing Gabriel has done " on schedule" so I wouldn't worry about that just yet :hugs:

sequeena: Gabriel hasn't been sleeping well either. he's written up several times very sweaty and upset. I think he's got another ear infection brewing, so Tylenol and Advil have been a staple at bedtime. doesn't give us a full night, but limits the waking to maybe twice.

could he be having a bit of a growth spurt, or teeth?

:thumbup: good news on his appointment. He is hyper mobile in his joints explaining his feet. They want to leave him until he walks thn review if he needs insoles in his shoes or any aid. She was pleased with his movement and how expressive he is with his eyes and random noises. She couldn't get over how active and hyper he is and her face dropped when I said this is all day everyday!

Oh good news annanoushka!!

bumpin good luck with testing! :D

As for T's sleeping, he's always been like this. It's just the way he is :(

oh that's exhausting. :hugs: Gabriel is up at least once, but he usually just plays (very loudly) and doesn't need us to go in, he will generally fall back to sleep by himself. the nights that he's up frequently Im just shattered from, and I remember the days where up all night was the norm.

Anna thats great! :happydance: :happydance:

Sequeena you poor thing. :hugs: Hope he gets tuckered out and lets you rest some.

Bumpin I love your little mans name. It's on our short list for a boys name and Gabriella for a girl :haha: Dh says he wants to name a son Gabriel or Jr. God I hope he picks Gabriel :rofl:

Thanks! Gabriel/Gabriella were the ONLY names we agreed on :) We are SO SCREWED with the next one. We could not be farther apart on name choices...lol...in the end, though, I usually win! :haha:

It's all busy in here lol

We're definitely not pregnant or ttc. We've decided on just the two-well OH has and given that before we had DS he didn't want any I'm not going to push my luck lol.

Feeling frustrated today - Esther is due another block of speech therapy. Her last lots was April/May time and at the end if the course the therapist said she wanted to see Esther as soon as she could-we still haven't had the dates come through. I've chased them up twice now!!

Re the pointing etc-Esther has only been pointing to her nose etc for less than a year. When she had her first proper assessment she was just over 3 and she couldn't do it. Once she picked ionise she got the rest fairly quickly.

She goes back to Playschool next Tues and I'm wondering how she's going to cope with bring one if the oldest there but developmentally being one of the youngest!! Last year she was very quiet for the first two terms and then during the last term she made friends with a couple of girls who played with her even though they didn't understand what she was saying. This coming term though they have gone to school so there is only her peers and younger there. Younger children don't know how to play with her as if she doesn't talk to them do they can understand they get bored easily. I know that her worker there won't let her get pushed to one side but it will be an interesting situation for her!
We've also got to pick a school for her and put our choices in by Jan/Feb. struggling to know what to do as the most obvious choice would be the same school as our son but we could choose a different school. Soooo many decisions to make lol

Rach: would going to a different school from your son benefit her learning? if not, ( depending on the relationship between your 2) wouln't being in the same school with her older brother be beneficial? I mean at the very least, he is someone she will know, and she will have someone to back her up, especially when she meets a mean kid.

Hopefully a clear choice becomes apparent :)

There are pros and cons to both.
Daniel already knows that we may not send Esther to his schools due to her speech difficulties so its not an issue for him. Esther tends to go with the flow so will accept whatever school we choose for her.
It wouldn't be such an issue for us if it wasn't for the fact that we found out recently that the senior school we want them to attend will be opening a primary school in Sept 2014 (the year that Esther starts). This school is really hard to get into (its a specific type if church school) but by attending the new primary school Esther would get automatic entry into the senior school.
If it wasn't for this new school then we would either send Esther to the same school as her brother or else to the school that our education department recommend (if different).

That is a complicated decision RachA. Will you be able to get your DS into Esters school later?? That is if you put her in the new primary school? Btw, job well done getting two kiddos out of a man that didn't want ANY! :haha: I think I will be done with 2 as well. DH would have a litter if we could afford it :wacko:

No that's not a possibility Essie-the new school will expand each year but basically the Reception class of 2014 will always be the eldest in the school iyswim. Hopefully when Daniel goes to the senior school he will go there though.

Lol. I know. Daniel was basically pretty much unplanned. Although having said that our main method of contraception was me keeping tabs on ovulation and using condoms when I was at my most fertile. I did tell him it wasn't anything like 100% effective lol. To be fair though we'd been doing a lot if travelling so my cycle was a bit wrecked - it was our chosen method for nearly 3 1/2 years before I fell pregnant so something was working well with it. We had been talking about children and he'd conceded that in the new year (2007) we'd talk about things seriously-so it probably happened a year before OH wanted it to really. It was pretty funny at the time-I thought I was suffering from major jet-lag and then realised I was pregnant. I couldn't tell OH for a week after my positive test as I really didn't know what he was going to say. Then after I told him be basically didn't talk to me for a week-not because he was angry or anything-he was literally in shock!
Then second time around we said that we'd start trying as we wanted a gap of somewhere between 2 & 3 years. I literally got pregnant the first time we dtd!

Is she likely to have any help in class when she joins reception next year? Is the provision for support going to be better at one school than the other? Apart from that if you like both schools then I guess you trust your gut. :hugs:

My youngest will join his big brother at the same school next year and his pre-school is on-site so he would find it wierd to go elsewhere after I think. Luckily we are pretty much guaranteed a place as we live VERY close by and we have an older sibling there already. Will your DD get priority due to her SEN's?

That sounds quite stressful Rach, I'm not looking forward to navigating the school thing for Thomas. I don't even know when I should apply or if I should keep him home another year. Who knows, I'll speak to my HV but it depends on if he's potty trained (feeling the pressure now as it's only a year until he's meant to start school).

Thomas is walking on his tiptoes again. He alternates between that and walking properly (though he's flat footed). I know it's common in children who are developmentally behind. Drives me mad though. It's just another 'symptom' and when these appear it takes me a while to accept them because I just want him to wake up and be 'normal'. I am done with appointments, I'm done with worrying, I'm done with stares and questions :(

You apply for school the December before the year they start. If Inclusion is already involved in your LO then they will be heavily involved in transition into the reception classes (this is obviously for UK). Does your LO attend nursery? If so and he has an IEP then that will go with him. Obviously children in mainstream primary schools do not get a great deal of extra support without an IEP, and in order to get proper one to one support you need a Statement of SEN which states this and they will be allocated however many hours one to one seems appropriate when the statement is given. Unfortunately with government cuts it is so hard to get one of these due to lack of funding! It's work looking into Statements etc before school if possible...if Inclusion Team are involved now then do speak to them about it! Hope that helps ;)

Edit: I should add I am a primary teacher currently in early years so I see a lot of SEN children coming through ;)

Thanks Feathers. He's not in nursery but we are waiting for portage if that's any help? His developmental report got sent to the top man in our county who deals with disabled children in schools (not met him yet so not 100% sure what he does, think he decides what support you get).

:hugs: sequeena, I know exactly how you feel hun. It sucks. If anyone sees DD try to walk they stare :( I suppose as she gets older it will get worse. I'm a little afraid of how I will handle it to tell you the truth.

:hugs: sequeena and essie. it's so unfair to watch your child struggle. I don't know anything about your system, hell, I'm unfamiliar with my own here in Canada. Hopefully you guys have someone to help guide you through those decisions.

I don't think holding Thomas back a year will hurt him. it might give him so time to catch up a bit, and make school a bit less overwhelming for you both. I think I would be inclined to wait a year, but I'm not anywhere close to the same situation.

On a lighter note :) DD peed in her frog potty this morning :happydance: :happydance: We're no where near trained but :happydance:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->