• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Developmental disorders/learning disabilities/genetic syndromes & more support group

Aww starry night hugs let's hope it is just a wee phase broke my heart hearing the other kids were laughing. That's fantastic with his pretend play well done 😊

I got my son's nursery report back last week (1st 1 from new nursery ) it's absolutely fantastic I'm soo proud of how he's come on in this nursery was a lot of positive feedback like now he'll sit for a good period of time and paint even at the lunch table. He's also using words In nursery his key worker said he had them all in stitches a wee boy had climbed onto the table and she was asking him to come down and DO starts shouting get doon (broad Scottish accent) he was doing it when he got home to. He's starting to use more words at home to really proud of how he's doing just now 😊 xx

That's great about the nursery report! That's so sweet about him talking more. Sounds like he's really happy where he is. And using paint too! My son doesn't have much experience with it, but the few times have not been good. "yucky, all wet!" ha ha

Today was better. No daytime accidents--the first in about 5 days. He is settling down now that we're back home and he only is with his sister--who is his biggest fan. And the weather was warm enough so I could bring out the water table I had bought for him. I didn't have any fancy toys for it and there so many blogs on what to do with them that make it sound so complicated. I just had a toy dinosaur, a small ball and a tiny container. And he had a blast!

At one point he said, "I am so happy!" :cloud9: He expressed a feeling! And in a complete sentence. Now Mommy was the one to be happy. He started interacting with his sister more too (she loved the water table as well).

Ha sounds fun I wish some of you guys stayed close our kids would have a great time together. Our weather's been terrible the whole of may a windy wash out 👎 I just hope junes better xx

Great to hear he's doing so well Lynne.
My sons new nursery is great too. They are having a school trip to a farm and I was oohing and ahhing about him going. I didn't want him to miss out but I had so many worries.
However his lovely teacher told me they'd decided if he came to take along an extra member of staff just for him.

They are all really chuffed he is going to go on the trip.

Great to hear he's doing so well Lynne.
My sons new nursery is great too. They are having a school trip to a farm and I was oohing and ahhing about him going. I didn't want him to miss out but I had so many worries.
However his lovely teacher told me they'd decided if he came to take along an extra member of staff just for him.

They are all really chuffed he is going to go on the trip.

Aww he'll do great on his day trip I had the same worries with my little boy his nursery take them wee trips to different parks or cafes he was actually away on 1 on Friday there they always say he dose well on them. He'll have an absolute ball on his wee farm trip are you aloud to go along xx

Well, today was my DD's first birthday :)cake:) and my son got his first taste of watching someone else get a present while he didn't get one. In the past, they have gotten their gifts at the same time because our relatives live far away so they would both get gifts and Christmas and Easter of course they get gifts at the same time. He seemed to accept the explanation that today his sister would get a gift and that on his birthday he would get a gift. (it's already sitting in the closet as his birthday is a month away)

However, once the gift was opened and it was something he liked....well...all hell broke lose. Full on meltdown. But I would not let him play with the toy. It's his sister's day. I know some parents get a little something for the other kids when they are still small but I just felt that I wanted to 'rip that band-aid off' right away. I want him to get used to it now because I think it will only get harder and more confusing if I wait until later. And if his sister does end up being "normal" she will often have to put her wants aside because of his needs. Her birthday should not be one of those times.

It did kind of spoil the moment though. Still trying to get used to the fact that this is our life. And it's our daughter's life as well. She took it all in stride though.

And I think I was premature in starting the nighttime potty training. I just don't think he's physically ready to get up when he has to pee. But I started and it's been weeks now so I have to keep going at this point. He's usually pretty good about me waking him up in the middle of the night to go to the washroom (except that one time I accidentally dropped him on his face :dohh:). It's about 50/50 whether the bed is wet in the morning or not. Usually his pants are wet but the bed is dry so I'm guessing he woke up and peed after getting out of bed but before he made it to the potty (his training seat will be on the toilet but there won't be pee inside and I will find his wet pants eiter in the bathroom or on the floor of his room)

starry im with you on this one and I think I am one of the few parents who don't get the other sibling a gift when it is not there birthday. they can share there presents of course but i like to teach it is not there birthday. because in the real world i wouldnt want my child to expect things when other people are getting for whatever reason. sorry he has a the meltdown never fun . my dd who is 5 still has the odd nightime accident

Hi everyone I'm so sorry I've been absent. We have a lot going on at the moment.

Starry I agree too.

Yes I'm ok thank you just life racing at a million miles an hour :haha:

oK....I think the key to potty training is to complain it's not going well. Last night, DH and I were watching Netflix in our room when we saw DS come out of his room and go to the bathroom on his own. He didn't quite make it -- there was pee on the floor and his pant cuffs were wet. So he got to the point where he was in the bathroom and his pants were off, the seat was on the toilet. We were so proud! But then, in the morning my DH left the bathroom door shut so DS didn't stand a chance to be dry in the morning.

sequeena - hope things calm down soon.

Feeling bit down. Took my son to a birthday party of one of his nursery class. Admittedly he's been a bit ill so he wasn't a 100% himself but I found it an upsetting experience.
All the other parents could sit down and let their children loose on the giant inflatable slide but I had to supervise my son because he doesn't understand that if he stops mid way up the stairs it stops the other children getting up and so forth.
Felt very subconscious like everyone was judging me for over protective parenting.
And then they could make party hats. All the children loved it. I had to make my son's hat for him.
Not once did he even acknowledge that he even knew the other children even though he sees them at nursery every day.

Feel heartbroken.

Feeling bit down. Took my son to a birthday party of one of his nursery class. Admittedly he's been a bit ill so he wasn't a 100% himself but I found it an upsetting experience.
All the other parents could sit down and let their children loose on the giant inflatable slide but I had to supervise my son because he doesn't understand that if he stops mid way up the stairs it stops the other children getting up and so forth.
Felt very subconscious like everyone was judging me for over protective parenting.
And then they could make party hats. All the children loved it. I had to make my son's hat for him.
Not once did he even acknowledge that he even knew the other children even though he sees them at nursery every day.

Feel heartbroken.

I hate birthday parties for similar reasons. Iv not had any crafting to worry about but I do feel like I constantly have to encourage my daughter to engage with kids and it hurts when you see others all playing and interacting . been told my DD is not on the spectrum but her social skills leave a lot to be desired. Hope you feel better soon parties can be rough on parents with kids with difficulty

Feel heartbroken.

I hate birthday parties for similar reasons. Iv not had any crafting to worry about but I do feel like I constantly have to encourage my daughter to engage with kids and it hurts when you see others all playing and interacting . been told my DD is not on the spectrum but her social skills leave a lot to be desired. Hope you feel better soon parties can be rough on parents with kids with difficulty

Thanks. It hurts because i so wanted him to go and do something normal four year olds would do.

:hugs: I had a similar experience today. My 2 year old cousin was christened and the after party was in a pub/social club with a buffet and disco. All the other parents got to sit down, eat and chat because their kids (2 and above) were able to play without much supervision. Thomas however is different and I was constantly having to watch him as he was climbing everything, being rough (without meaning to be) and at one point I caught him hitting another boy in the face with a weight from a helium balloon (the triangle weight - heavy!!!).

Thomas being in his own little world had the best time (he literally did not stop the entire time - I had to strip him to his vest he was sweating that much) but for me it was jeart breaking. I knew other people, people I didn't know knew he was disabled because one of My cousin's friends is a support worker who works with Thomas every 2 weeks but for some reason that upset me more

Kids didn't want to play with him. He couldn't figure out jow to play musical statues and a staff member (who was trying to tell him to get down from a chair because he might hurt himself) couldn't figure out why My son (who looks 5 to be honest) didn't understand her.

On a more positive note Thomas had transport for when he goes to school :) he will be going by mini bus with a chaperone and when he first starts he will be doing 8.50-11.30 instead of All day.

Yip I no where you ladies are coming from pretty much same here with having to watch my son when we're out like that. Last experience was at soft play when he let's me no he needs a pee by dropping his bottoms no mistaking the message eh. Plus some snotty cow was close to a smack in the mouth my son to looks more 5 than 4 he's tall and he still likes a wee run round the younger kid bit he jumped in the ball pit and she's shaking her head huffing and puffing oh the loom on her face when I called him she shot round I was right behind her about the only time he actually done as he was asked and came lol.

I'm having quite a difficult time just now with my 4 year old we had made great progress over the year with him walling by my side holding hands etc but the past few weeks I feel like I'm way back at square one runs off ahead throwing himself to the ground refusing to get up won't come when I call him over when he had been so good with this before don't no why it's went back the way and my god I'm so sick of my own bloody voice. A week this wed I have a meeting with his nursery so I'm hoping they can maybe help with some suggestions xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->