Dictionary When Reading

Chris77

Mommy to PJ and Gavin
Reaction score
Do you use a dictionary when you read and come across a word you don't know? Or do you just try to understand the meaning from the sentence?

I can usually understand the meaning of the word from the sentence. If not, I'll either ignore it or as DH; he's a walking dictionary. :rofl:

Sometimes I do. Quite often I've realised that what I thought it meant is something very different, or I'm pronouncing it wrong.

Yeah alot of times, I'll ask DH what a word means and I'm totally butchering the pronunciation. Only for DH to realize what the word is and correct me. :blush: :rofl:

I tend to guess from the words arround it, but usually when I get to the end of the sentance it doesn't make sense so I have to re read it :lol: :blush:

I don't use a dictionary. I should, though. I don't often feel like I need one, but then I have also had the similar experience of mangling pronunciation. I think it happens when you read a lot - you make a guess how something sounds in your head and then it just sticks?
I have also discovered, to my horror, many words that I have understood but have been spelling or pronouncing wrong for years.
And I'm one of those word people - spelling and grammar are my thing.
So, imagine my mortification when I realized that for years, I have been spelling "epitome" "epidemy". :blush: Or "facetious" - somehow I was sure that was spelled with a "ph". :dohh:
I guess it reminds one to remain humble about our vast and complex language? :)

I generaly guess from what the rest of the sentance is but I often find I know the meaning of the word without even being able to recall ever hearing, reading or coming across it before and how I know it without knowing it normaly ends up confussing me even more then the word itself :)

I love that the kindle has that built in, as whilst I can guess a meaning, it's nice to know properly!

Yep,I love the kindle for the dictionary reason!

I usually figure out the meaning of a word well enough from context, but I always like to be sure sure of what a word means (in case anyone asks me later, lol). So I write down the words I'm not 100% confident I could define clearly and look them up later. I save the really good ones in a notebook to teach Carmen when she's older :haha: :blush:

Generally - just work it out, but if it's confusing me I'll google it!

Dictionary function on Kindle sounds gooooood I can't wait till my birthday :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->