Different surname to your child

Me and FOB arn't married and our LO will have his name when it's born :)

I must admit I'm not keen on having a different surname, mainly because I feel the odd one out!

But I might have mentioned / hinted this to OH a few times. Lol. Here's hoping for something sparkly! hehe

Thats a stupid opinion because some people go back to maiden names etc!

My 2 both have MY surname on their birth certificate but they are "known as" FOBs name at the school etc. Mind you school always call me Mrs Newman too :/

Exactly. And also some Daddy's die, is the Mum never meant to find love again? :dohh:

I've got a different name from my mum and no one has ever said anything to me about it or judged me on it :hugs: maybe years ago it was different but it's more common these days so I don't think many people would notice and comment on it, it's definitely not a stigma where I'm from either as far as I know :hugs:

oh and I'm not a criminal :haha:

Rude narrow minded people. I have my dads name and my parent's aren't married. They've been together 28 years!

I have my mums surname but that was different to my dads.

I always got comments, not so bad now but :dohh:

A names a bloody name! You could be called Angel Blessing Perfectness with the same surname as both parents & be a criminal :thumbup:

Hardly think criminality is linked to name.

I have a double barrelled surname (and first name :rofl: ) made up from my mum's & dads surname.

So I had a surname neither my mum or dad had. Infact the only other person who has my surname is my daughter.

My OH got with me when I was pregnant and when we marry I will be in a quandry of whether or not to change my daughters name. I wouldn't really like her to have no named connection to me at all (which I had with my parents) so I would think about changing both of our names to OH's surnames but then thats effectively changing who she is :shrug: It's so hard as I would definatley want my married name.

I`m married but I didn`t take my husbands name so our daughter has a different name to mine. It doesn`t bother me at all, I also have a different surname to my mum.

I`ve never even considered that people would look down on that and if they do I don`t care! Oh and I`m not a criminal!

I have a double barrelled surname (and first name :rofl: ) made up from my mum's & dads surname.

So I had a surname neither my mum or dad had. Infact the only other person who has my surname is my daughter.

My OH got with me when I was pregnant and when we marry I will be in a quandry of whether or not to change my daughters name. I wouldn't really like her to have no named connection to me at all (which I had with my parents) so I would think about changing both of our names to OH's surnames but then thats effectively changing who she is :shrug: It's so hard as I would definatley want my married name.

I dont think it would change who she is, it wont change who you are to change to your OH's surname will it?

I gave Morgan his Dad's name, and we got married a few months after so all my children have our surname. I hate my IL's so much that if it werent for Honey and Riley Rae having their surname I would change mine and the children's surname to my maiden name.

I hate my IL's so much that if it werent for Honey and Riley Rae having their surname I would change mine and the children's surname to my maiden name.

I hear ya.

I've actually got my mum's surname but then so did my dad, he took her surname on due to ongoing issues with his family, he never knew his father, his stepdad abused him.

No-one really queried it.

I have the same surname as my Dad, Mollie has the same surname as me and Katie has the same surname as Shaun :wacko:

People have such a narrow minded view on things especially some of the knobs who comment on DM articles.

:hugs:

V xx

That is so ridiculous! When I have children I will have a different surname to them even though I plan to be married when I have them. The reason I want to keep my surname is a personal one to do with wanting to keep my dads name because he died and I feel like his name keeps me close to him. People shouldn't jump to assumptions.
It used to annoy me a bit when lots of children in the same family had different surnames but that's only because I used to do filing in a doctors surgery and it was confusing to get people in the right files :haha:

I don't like my LO having a different last name to me but thats because i hate his dad lol :p and everyone in our house has a different last name, it makes me feel "silly" sometimes (filling out forms where NO ONE has the same name lol) but my parents are not married and we all had our mums last name :)

My LO will have OHs surname and when we eventually marry so will I. I'd never judge anyone for having different surname to parents. My sisters kids have her ohs name and she's got her maiden name and they've been together 20 years with no intention of marrying. As far as I know she's never been openly judged but does get called Mrs OH sometimes haha :)

My son has a double barrelled last name part my name and part OH's, I have been thinking of changing my name to double barrelled aswell so mine is part mine and part OH's the same as my son, would that be weird though as my OH last name will just be his last name and mine and son.will be both.

Would anyone find that odd?

I kept my maiden name when I married so LO has a different surname to me but he has my surname as a second middle name.

Its so much more common 'these days' that to me its just normal and how it is iykwim........... i had a different surname to my daughters until i got married last year and it never bothered me, what bothered me more was referring to my OH as my 'partner' 'other half' 'him in doors' etc etc........ ha ha

My eldest daughter however hated not me not having the same surname and would ask why and can i change my surname or can she change hers to the same as mine......etc etc.....it was all her talking that prompted my husband to propose and for us to decide to get married (as well as other things lol)

I like it though the change of surname doesnt bother me, it doesnt change who i am or where i have come from, its nice to have all the same names and if i did split up with my husband i would just keep his name HOWEVER i would never judge anyone else as i have been there myself anyway and everyone situations are different.

Me and LO do not have the same name but me and his dad are still together, theres so many reasons why a mother and child may not have the same name. Don't let it get to you:hugs:

Tbh I couldn't give a toss what people think. Yes my daughters have a different surname and why shouldn't they? because I don't and will never have the same name? does that mean that FOB doesn't have a right to be on their BC? to give his daughter's a name that he holds?
Chloe and Jaycee are his children and no matter what partner he has, what partner I have, where our lives end up the girls will always be his!

I didn't plan on not being with the father of my girls, I imagined one day we would all have the same name but we don't and even if I could change it I wouldn't.

He is still a part (although small) of their lives and a surname doesn't mean anything to me

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->