Diluting pregnancy test with water makes it darker??

Blackrain90

DS-2 & Bean on the way!
Reaction score
Hey ladies. So I have a bunch of left over pregnancy tests that I have been taking every now and then to see if my HCG levels are going up, and so far my lines have been nice and dark. Today however, I did one and it was much fainter than I would like. Still positive, but not nearly as dark as the rest. I tried another one with the same cup of urine and same result.

I had heard that if your HCG levels are really high, diluting urine with water can help? I diluted the same cup of urine (about 2/3 urine 1/3 water) and my next line was nice and dark. Has anyone had something like this happen, or heard anything about this? I have heard of the hook effect but I thought it was rare, and much more likely in later pregnancy (I'm only 6+3). First two are the tests with normal urine (held for about 7 hours) and the last is the diluted urine.

Really started to panic when I saw those light lines, so hoping that a diluted-urine strong positive is still good.

Attachments

• 04A0EF33-8C58-4A3F-8EFD-B29E6D10BBE9-25243-000029A2B6BD6579_zps8c8afcce.jpg
    04A0EF33-8C58-4A3F-8EFD-B29E6D10BBE9-25243-000029A2B6BD6579_zps8c8afcce.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 66
Hmm, I have never experienced that (or tried), but it is pretty interesting. I will have to look that up.

Yep, that's the hook effect! It's not rare at all, if you read the instructions with most pregnancy tests they say not use after 6 weeks as the results are unreliable. I did the same thing, panicked when I got the light line, diluted the wee and hey presto ark line again! Just means your hormones are nice and high!! :hugs:

I don't think the hook effect is rare, I think it's normal. So it's all good honey :happydance:

I think the hook effect happens with everyone once your levels get too high for the tests, usually around 6 weeks so it's not rare.

Awesome thanks ladies! So glad this is normal. Have my ultrasound Tuesday and first prenatal the week after, hopefully that will put my mind at ease, but glad it isn't that uncommon! :)

Baby measured exactly on schedule at U/S yesterday and got to see heartbeat on screen. Did a couple more home tests today, normal one was light, and almost half diluted test was a bit darker, but not as dark as before, but since I have seen button and know everything is fine I'm not concerned. Glad I have finally run out of tests haha!

Fantastic news on the scan, it's such a elder to see the bubs little heart beating away!

Time to stop the testing, for your own sanity!!!

X

Yay for a great scan. I agree, time to put the tests down. Past a certain point they can just create unnecessary stress lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->