DIY APRIL come on girls

Loving the bear bums i have a heavy wetter who can test :wick:

Adele oooh those dungas are lush, I keep meaning to di my sewing machine out you are inspiring me :happydance:

I have a bare bum who would love to test your bear bums hehe they look lovely Hun
ellie I'm loving the dungies!!!

I'm making a fleece soaker today with scraps iv got hanging around, won't be the prettiest but iv never made one so don't wanna mess it up with nice fleece lol

I haven't posted any plans as I have been working on a big project which kept going wrong and I would have looked silly if I had to say "oops, it didn't work!".

I read about the amauti coats worn by the Inuit women in Canada - there is a section on them on Thebabywearer if anyone is interested and it got me wondering if you could make something similar but lightweight for UK weather. It took several attempts but I finally managed something wearable. The amauti has a pouch on the back so the baby can sit in a frog-legged position, rather than putting their legs around you. This was the bit that I couldn't replicate as it involved attaching a pouch to a waistcoat like structure and the weight of the baby pulled the pouch down your back. I eventually settled for making a very lightweight mei tai and building a jersey fabric hoody coat around it - the shoulders of the coat are attached to the shoulder straps so when you put your arms in the sleeves it pulls the mei tai into the right place. The straps are hidden under the coat and the hood goes right round the carrier so if it rains the hood covers both of you. I haven't managed to get a very good picture of it in use but I will look through some recent ones.
I think I am going to have another go and try to work out a way of making a proper pouch.....

It sounds very interesting Kit look forward to seeing pictures of it.

The pictures aren't great as the coat is black, so it is hard to make it out. Can I just point out that I was not in fact on drugs in the second picture - I just have a camera allergy! There are about 2 decent pictures of me taken in the last decade. All the others have me rolling my eyes back in my head, gurning, looking like I am about to throw up etc etc!

Attachments

• DSCF0016.jpg
    DSCF0016.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 19
Second one....

Attachments

• DSCF0028.2.jpg
    DSCF0028.2.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 13
Love the bear bums and dungarees! I need to dig the machine out today, not sure what to make but I have some hemming to do lol.

Thanks girls :) I have a busy week this week so dunno if I will get the design finished for the pocket nappy but hopefully a couple of weeks and it will be sorted for testing.

some stock may go live on website this week though fingers crossed! although BBQ today so won't get much done lol

Nice job on the amauti Kit!

I sometimes see women in the shopping centre here with those coats (in the winter)- I've never used one but am intrigued by how the babies sit in them since it's always been toddlers I've seen in them and tbh, they have never looked very secure :shrug: Yours looks comfy and secure though :)

Hmm- only thing I've accomplished off my list so far is a couple of Taggies blankets. The fabric store had a sale on so I've added more projects to the list :dohh:

I've not done very well so far :blush:

I've added about 6 rows to Leyla's blanket that I started when I was pregnant :dohh:
I altered a dress I bought for Leyla that was the perfect size but had some weird seam reinforcing stuff around the chest so that I couldn't get her arms through. Glad I did that as it's a very cute dress with a giraffe on it :)
I altered a dress for me that I bought cheap but was too tight around my fatty arms!
I've prewashed some cotton terry for making a nappy-off time mat for Leyla.
And I've made an insert to try with two layers of zorb encased in lightweight bamboo terry.

Today though, I've managed to clear the rubbish off my sewing table and hopefully this evening I'll sort out the boxes of fabric I have stacked next to it so I can really get stuck in tomorrow!

I just destroyed a fleece blanket to make wipes:

https://lh6.ggpht.com/_z_cAkHJ34uM/S8stU5e3buI/AAAAAAAAASo/DXnXW7UORjU/s288/P4181261.JPG

Nice and simple but still counts for DIY April :rofl:
I bought a fleece blanket off ebay to make liners but it's way too nice to cut up. Now I need to buy another one :dohh:

I just destroyed a fleece blanket to make wipes:

https://lh6.ggpht.com/_z_cAkHJ34uM/S8stU5e3buI/AAAAAAAAASo/DXnXW7UORjU/s288/P4181261.JPG

Nice and simple but still counts for DIY April :rofl:
I bought a fleece blanket off ebay to make liners but it's way too nice to cut up. Now I need to buy another one :dohh:

Haha I do that! Sainsbury's often have lovely child-friendly fleece blankets reduced to £3-ish, always worth a look there.

Asda baby event starts on Tuesday and sometimes at the Asda living stores they have fleece blankets for £1 in baby pink and baby blue :D just the write price to cut up me thinks :D

LOL - yeah cheap asda blankets sounds good. This was was nice and thick so i thought it would be perfect, was in a bundle of handmedowns i got given. I have resisted cutting up my lovely expensive fleece blankets - for now :muaha:

Quick question....can you use fleecy blankets cut up as nappy liners say at night to stuff a nappy up? :rofl:

Also I was given a massive 500g ball of arran wool by my gran yesterday.....any ideas what to knit with it? Unless im mistaken arran wool isnt the best to use for LO :)

i use fleece liners overnight, when you say stuff do you mean as an insert? because fleece is not absorbant, if you mean as a liner next to babys bum then thats fine

also ive made leyla apair of longies and a skirty out of aran wool and while its not the softest wool its not scratchy

x

should also add that aran wool knits up very quickly with it being so thick, which is always a plus lol

x

i got paul to draw me out a pattern for a fitted nappy last night haha, you shouldve seen the huffing and puffing, was hilarious! i couldnt do it, i was playing on the sims 3 :dohh: priorities!!! LOL

am gna make leyla a few one size fitteds today at some point, with my new zorb :happydance: will post pics once im done, am pure making the most of my few extra holiday days at home lol

x

i made loads of baby/toddler leg warmers last night :happydance:

x

Attachments

• Photo-0109 (2).jpg
    Photo-0109 (2).jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Photo-0114.jpg
    Photo-0114.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Photo-0117.jpg
    Photo-0117.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 6
^^^^^

Do you just use elastic around the edges or just sew them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->