Do First Signal tests ever get really dark? *Updated p3*

Isme

Reaction score
So I'm kind of in limbo while I wait for an ultrasound to rule out an ectopic. My midwife had me scared because the pregnancy test her office performed was "very, very light". The checked my betas that day and my levels were 664. (I was right at 5 weeks.) I was supposed to go back in two days to get a second beta test to make sure my levels were doubling. Unfortunately, the nurse was unable to draw any blood for the test. My veins just weren't giving it up. Ugh.

Anyway, I'd been having progressively darker tests up until that point. The day of my first beta, I took two tests right before my appointment, and the test lines just about matched on a cheap internet strip and a Dollar Tree test. My First Signal that day (after I got back from the midwife scaring me to death) was dark, thought it didn't quite match the control.

Anywho, after my second beta draw failed, I promised the nurse I would keep monitoring my tests at home to make sure they weren't getting lighter over the weekend. I was out of tests so I had my DH pick up some more First Signal tests because they looked like they had the most room for obvious progression.

Now I'm driving myself crazy because while they have gotten a bit darker since my first beta draw 4 days ago, they aren't a dark as I'd expect them to be. I know the dye can vary from one test to another even within the same batch, and some of the test line have been just about equal to the control line... But I'm worried.

At 24dpo, shouldn't the test light be darker than the control? Is that something that happens with First Signal tests, or am I stressing myself out for nothing? What did your darkest First Signal test look like, and when did you get it?

First signal tests can get obviously darker than the control but honestly it sounds like the tests are giving you more worry than comfort. To be straight forward tests aren't necessarily going to tell you anything. I had dark positive tests right as I went in to the Dr's office and discovered I had a missed miscarriage. So all the tests I took meant nothing. This time I didn't bother beyond the first few days because they just tell you whether you're pregnant or not, they can't reliably tell you HOW pregnant you are. Take a deep breath (I know how hard it is not to worry) maybe try not testing. I'm so sorry you are going through this uncertainty. Maybe call your Dr to schedule a scan or do another set of betas and get some real answers to give you some peace. Much love!

Thanks! :flower:

Obviously I'm in this mess because someone (the midwife) put too much stock in line darkness. But her tests were an unknown factor. The tests I've taken at home have all gradually shown progression. As I mentioned in the beginning, I do have an ultrasound scheduled. It is on Monday. I'd hoped to have the second beta results back by Thursday to give us peace of mind over the weekend, but the nurse was unable to draw blood from me for whatever reason. (She tried the two largest veins she could find.) I had hoped to stay a step ahead by watching tests progress (or not) until my ultrasound on Monday. If my pregnancy is failing because there is an embryo in my fallopian tube, I wanted just that little bit of warning. It's most likely related to my need to maintain control over a situation that is simply out of my hands.

Mainly I just wanted info on the tests themselves to have an idea of what to expect. My hcg should be in the 3000ish range by now if doubling properly. Not sure at what range these particular tests might start pulling from the control line.

Is there a way you can switch midwives? The first tri is already stressful enough so to have somebody doubt your pregnancy because of a line is bs.

Yeah, once I've confirmed this pregnancy is viable, that midwife expects me to make a real appointment with her. I'm not even sure why I was seen so early (I think that's largely what irritated and threw her off), but I think whoever did the referral went ahead and made me an appointment. At any rate, most midwives want to see you at around 8-9 weeks, so I will have a couple of weeks to find a new provider. It just makes me sad. This is the most convenient place available for me to deliver at (10 minutes vs 45-50 minutes away), and I had such a wonderful experience there with my last child... But the has really upset me and I know I can't see her again. Even if she's right (which would be surprising based on her method of reaching conclusions) she completely lacked any sort of compassion. That is not who I would like to see for my prenatal care. I don't need the extra stress-- though finding a new provider will be stressful enough. :(

Ultrasound is scheduled for tomorrow, and I've had a very small amount of light brown all spotting. Who knows how this will go. However, I'm still looking for pictures or descriptions of very dark First Signal (88 cent Wal-Mart) tests. I've not been able to find any super dark examples. My lines are still mostly just matching the control. One or two tests have been a shade darker (or wider, or something)... But my Dollar Tree tests currently have a darker test line than the control, so I find it odd that the First Signal is being so stubborn. LOL

This was the last test I took. I didn't see the point of testing after this. Why not try a different brand of you are unhappy with this one

Attachments

• _20160403_121639.jpg
    _20160403_121639.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 21
Thanks for sharing! I do have other tests to use (cheap New Choice), I was just curious about these. ;)

I'm not familiar with those I hope they go dark for you. Honestly though if the other tests you took were as dark as control is why midwife would have a test the that was light. Maybe she's a little crazy? Lol

She may very well be crazy. lol. I'm wondering if their tests read positive at like an HCG of 1000, or something. That's the only reason I can image for her having to squint to see a positive line when my HCG wax 664. Just weird. But I'm not entirely confident in the pregnancy anyway, so I will be relieved to know one way or another tomorrow.

Good luck tomorrow.

I've had super dark first signal tests with an ectopic pregnancy, but with dd pregnancy they never got darker than the control line. But I only took a few tests with her.

Good luck tomorrow. Hope your baby is all snuggled and growing strong.

I personally haven't used First Signal but did have the Dollar Tree tests that are pretty much the same thing. They drove me absolutely crazy because they wouldn't get dark. Any fluctuation in urine concentration would produce lighter lines when FRERs were distinctly dark. Also at some point the hook effect does come into play.

Update after your scan tomorrow!

Thanks so much, ladies!!! Less than two hours before my ultrasound now. I would love to see a tiny bean with a flickering of heartbeat, but I will settle for seeing a gestational sac that is NOT in my fallopian tube.

Thanks again, guys! Just got back from the ultrasound. It is NOT an ectopic, thank goodness. It was still too early to see the baby or a heartbeat to verify that the pregnancy is viable, but the gestational sac was measuring right on schedule. I'm supposed to go get my bloods drawn again this afternoon to make sure my HCG is still going up, but so far things are looking good! The sac measured at 5 weeks and 6 days, which is only one day behind what I'd assumed. I know things can change so much in these early weeks too. Now that the worst stress is over, I'm just going to keep thinking positive thoughts about being able to see the baby's heartbeat at some point soon. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->