do people really have problem with women bf.

babyhopes2010

one boy one girl.perfect!
Reaction score
Really?

in my life Iv never come acrossed anyone having a problem with someone bf their baby
but yet women keep saying their being judged:shrug:

The only discriminating iv seen is on here.not in real life(thats not a dig about bnb) just an observation :haha:

Have u experienced this?

I've gotten dirty looks more than once when nip. My mom was asked to leave a restaurant when feeding my brother...so yes it happens. I think it probably depends on where you are...

I didn't breastfeed my DD, not because I didn't want to but for other reasons, so I have no experience of it but from what I've seen.. Both on and offline.. Yes some people do have a problem with it :nope:

One of the most natural things in the world a woman can do and believe it or not some people look down on it... I've even heard it compared to child abuse :nope:

It's a sad world that we live in when a woman who feeds her baby the way nature intended is looked down on.

I don't plan on having any more children any time soon but when/if I do I will definitely attempt BF again regardless of what society think. If people don't like it they don't have to look. In fact my first instinct would be to tell them to do one!!

I have had a few looks when bf in public but never had anyone say anything to me. I have also heard stories from friends about bad experiences they have had but I never had any problems myself.

As a matter of fact, the only time I have had to justify my decision to bf past the first few weeks is to my mom.

My friend breastfed twice in public. Both those times, she had abuse hurled at her. She did it very discreetly too. One of the times was at the back of a cafe, with her back to people. The manager made her leave.

A man asked me if I'd go do it in the toilet in costa the other day I said 'Do you want to eat ur lunch in the loo? no nor does he! That shut him up. If they get offended they are looking too long xx

Yes I had a lot of snide remarks in real life from health professionals, crap advice from them and have no friends left because they didnt agree with it so called me a lot of names and slagged my parenting off. Thats IRL. You just dont do it here , so I have no friends and lie about it if asked as I dont want the hassle any more. Yet have never questioned why any one would formula feed, I really dont care.

thanks ladies,wow im shocked :shock: i smile when i see someone bf its so beautiful im so gutted i couldnt.

raisin i love ur booby icon :haha:

I'm lucky to have a GP that completely understands BFing and AP.

Saying that, I'm still asked by my grandparents and parents if I'm "still" nursing him or when I'm going to make him stop.

People will have a problem with one thing or another, who cares if ur comfy doing it then carry on.

I think people should never judge you for feeding your little baby the best way you possibly can!
I think people are so dumb these days and think you should FF them its best :dohh:!

I also think people are shallow and cos its to do with your breast (WOW ITS ONLY A BREAST) they see it as exposing nudity! even tho some women do it in such a discreet way i still think people get offended by it!
xxxx

absolutely yes people do! in fact i would say that people are more vocal on whether a child is breast fed and have very extreme views on it more so than almost any other parenting topic. it really is such a waste of time and energy. people do not care whether a child is being ff but some really really really take actual offense to breastfeeding. its almost laughable to me that the same people will oggle a woman walking past with her boobs hanging out of a bikini top or not blink an eye at it but a childs head in the way of seeing anything and simply eating is incredibly offensive to them lol!

my experience i have had both really positive nods in my direction when people have seen me nipping but also a few tuts. my most vocal was a family member who saw me giving milk to my daughter in a bottle and said oh thats better isnt it nice milk in a nice bottle. so i handed her the bottle saying hold this while i wind her oh and it is very nice milk its breast milk lol she almost dropped the bottle and held it out in front ofher like it was a bottle of piss shaking her head and tutting! idiot lol

absolutely yes people do! in fact i would say that people are more vocal on whether a child is breast fed and have very extreme views on it more so than almost any other parenting topic. it really is such a waste of time and energy. people do not care whether a child is being ff but some really really really take actual offense to breastfeeding. its almost laughable to me that the same people will oggle a woman walking past with her boobs hanging out of a bikini top or not blink an eye at it but a childs head in the way of seeing anything and simply eating is incredibly offensive to them lol!

my experience i have had both really positive nods in my direction when people have seen me nipping but also a few tuts. my most vocal was a family member who saw me giving milk to my daughter in a bottle and said oh thats better isnt it nice milk in a nice bottle. so i handed her the bottle saying hold this while i wind her oh and it is very nice milk its breast milk lol she almost dropped the bottle and held it out in front ofher like it was a bottle of piss shaking her head and tutting! idiot lol

THATS SO TRUE!
couldnt say it better myself!
there happily sit there with there eyes hanging out there head when they see a rack:holly: but than when it comes to maybe exposing abit off breast to your baby its wrong!
how does that work :dohh:!

xxxx

I've been feeding my daughter for 2 years and my son for 8 months (tandem) and I've never had anything but positive remarks? I guess maybe an old man or 2 have given my that look then walked away but never said anything. And my gp and health visitors have been amazing and always very very helpful. There are loads of breastfeeders in my area and I know 3 other mommy's that are tandem feeding toddlers:)

I think some people consider it acceptable until about six months and then they start asking about cups and bottles and "real food." God forbid you BF past one even though the WHO recommends up to two years and beyond based on the comfort of the baby and the mother :shrug:

when I worked at starbucks I had a customer come up to me and ask me to ask a breastfeeding mother in the cafe to cover up. I told him I'm very sorry, but I can't do that and that he is more than welcome to leave if it bothers him. She was sitting in a corner and I couldn't even tell she was breastfeeding (though she was in my direct line of sight)...so hell knows why it upset him so much. So yeah, it does happen...but then again that was one incident in almost 3 years and all my colleagues and my manager said this had never happened before. I feel like maybe it's more of an issue in the US, but I'm not sure...

My friends and fam think it's weird that I'm still bf. Lo is only 4 months old ffs! So I guess yes they do but I have no idea why! X

my sister finds it disgusting, but i couldn't care less. when i was feeding lauren, i'd been feeding her for 5 minutes before my sister realised what i was doing (she was sitting on the sofa opposite me!) & only because my mum asked if i was feeding her. she then walked out of the room with her eyes covered, as did her fiance. my sister's a department store manager & hates that she can't ask someone not to breastfeed in her store! she's professional & wouldn't ask, but she won't pretend when she's with us that she's happy about it.

i've not had any other negative reactions, but if i'm honest, i don't think i'd notice if someone was looking at me strangely as i don't pay any attention to anyone else if i'm feeding, just to my daughters.

i love breastfeeding, i'm so proud to be doing it, as i didn't manage to with bella.

xx

People are the exact opposite where I live. You get people talking shit and dirty looks for FF. they make you feel like crap if you are not able to breastfeed, especially my hospital and doctors. They treat you like a queen if you BF your baby....either way somebody somewhere isn't going to agree with how you feed your baby, that's just the way it is. I've never met so many rude people until I had a baby, everybody thinks they need to shove their parenting beliefs in your face.

thanks hayleyz! its the basis of much of the arguement that breasts have been so over sexualised that now not only do men think it is the only primary / main function for them but a lot of women are sensitive to that fact too its a much more indepth thing than that but i suppose thats the cliffnotes lol!

i had someone ask me to tell a woman to leave the restaurant who was bfing response, no sir that would be illegal for me to do - cant she use the toilet - again illegal but if you are uncomfortable i can send you and your food down to the toilet as a compromise? the bloke gasped went to say something then went hmmm i suppose not then then carried on muttering away, seriously the woman was in the corner using on of those feeding covers you can get, what could he actually see and if he could then definately looking way too close and way too hard lol lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->