Do reception children get free school lunches (UK)?

Bevziibubble

Reaction score
I am sure I heard that all reception children get free school meals regardless of income? My DD got a form from school today for us to fill in if she is entitled to free school meals, which I know she isn't as we are over the income threshold.

She only stays until 12pm for this week, but next week she'll be staying for lunch so I don't know whether to send her in with a packed lunch. I was convinced they got free school meals for this year until I got this form so I'm confused now.

Yes reception,year 1 and 2 all go free dinner i believe.yhwre is something called pupil premium that replaced free meals that enable the school to get extra money for children of low income families for things like inform and school trips.

Reception, Y1 & Y2 are all entitled to free school meals. However, if you are a low income family, you are asked to complete a form as the school gets extra money (as DJJ said, the Pupil Premium)

Yes as op said it's for the first 3 years of school it's free.I was very confused last year too when I got a form like that.

I think this only applies to English pupils. We've always paid £11 a week for Thomas' lunches.

Ive heard conflicting things about it depending on area. Up here in scotland p1-p3 all get free school meals.

but i have some friends down south where all children get free school meals and others where they dont so maybe worth calling and asking on monday hun xx

Same here,not entitled by income but still had to fill in the form for money for the school. Oscar gets free dinners rec, 1 and 2 I think

I think it depends on the school. Ours do x

As well as pupil premium, kids entitled to free school meals (because of income) get free school milk too.

Pupil premium is not for trips or uniforms etc it's for the school to use to help raise attainment of lower income families like funding teaching assistants, teachers, literacy/numeracy programmes

All children in key stage 1 (reception to end of year 2) are entitled to free dinners regardless of income, the form is to ensure the school can claim the money to feed the children.

Also regarding free milk, this stops the term before the children turn 5.

That may be LEA dependant then and sucks for the kids who's parents have to pay but can't afford it, horrible seeing them watch their friends 😑

Not for children entitled to free school meals (means tested) - they get free milk regardless of age.

That may be LEA dependant then and sucks for the kids who's parents have to pay but can't afford it, horrible seeing them watch their friends 😑

Not for children entitled to free school meals (means tested) - they get free milk regardless of age.

Yeah I forgot some LEAs do different things. Most of the ones round us state we have to offer free milk if the child is eligible under means testing.

Same as above. All children get free meals upto year 3 but you still fill in the form.

Yep our school is free for reception, year 1&2 x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->