Do they think we are all idiots!??!

Celesse

Reaction score
I know the date I ovulated. Given that research shows the egg lives for less than 24hrs this means I know the date on which I conceived. I took my temperature, I took ovulation tests, I charted, timed sex. I tested from 6dpo and got a first positive at 11dpo, after having implantation bleeding on 8dpo and 9dpo.

And yet..... professionals still feel the need to question this as the start of the pregnancy!!!! It irritates me no end.

I have just been on the phone to the midwife, explained my "LMP" date has no relevance to the pregnancy as it was an ERCP and I didn't ovulate until day 61. I went on to explain that my 2 EPAU scans have dated me either side of this date confirming its accuracy. Her response: "Ok, well we'll go off this early July due date but you'll tell us if it changes won't you".

WTF!!!! Unless I invent a time machine, travel back in time and secretly inject myself with fertility drugs so I ovulate at a different time then my due date is not going to change!!! I will still have conceived on the same date whatever the scan shows, and sure it will probably show a few days either way as that's what scans do.

And even if they scan me at 12 weeks and tell me that I'm due on a different date it doesn't matter. I won't be consenting to treatment based on that date, I'll be consenting to treatment based on the actual date. And when asked when my due date is I will tell them the real date, with a side note to say what the 12 week scan says.

oh dear, at least you no what your doing x i went for a ovulation scan last month on day 13 and they told me ''no, it doesnt look like your ovulating this month''.....well i must of done as got my BFP on tuesday! i always say we no much more about our own bodies than any professional xxx

I supposed its just easier for them to use the LMP thing instead of going through everything that you just said lol only for 3 months until you get your dating scan, because even then, with knowing when you o/v you can be pushed back/forth due to slow/fast growing pregnancies. I guess its just whats easier for the professionals lol
xx

My LMP would make me 15+5. I am 8+6. MASSIVE difference.

Oh hah, well when its that much of a difference they cant really argue with that can they! I thought you was talking about a week or so difference, but you do know your own body at the end of the day!

Oh my!

You know what my doctor did - so smart of him - he changed my recorded LMP to be in line with when I ovulated, as opposed to my actual LMP. So no more questions like that (and I only ovulated a week later!)

Yes I know what you mean! My first pregnancy I ovulated really late in a loooong cycle and they were trying to put me in for my 12 week scan when I would have been 8 weeks! I explained about my cycle but the woman was just adamant they will only go off LMP, I managed to talk her into moving it 2 weeks back but it was still quite early!

I had a chemical with no period in between with my daughter - so I always looked like I was 4.5 weeks "out".

Made no difference they went by the scan date - i agree you know - I knew when I implanted due to implantation bleeding and predicted my daughter would be early and she was (a week).

However I think you could cut them some slack - they apply a one size fits all to the equation because they don't have the time (or money) to spend sitting with every woman trying to get it bang on - with different times to fertilize, then implant, it's always going to vary...

My midwife's view - when I pointed out my original due date was 4 weeks out - was simply you're in charge, you don't need to consent to anything if you don't want to that date is irrelevant. We will always go by the scan date, not the LMP xx

Oh my!

You know what my doctor did - so smart of him - he changed my recorded LMP to be in line with when I ovulated, as opposed to my actual LMP. So no more questions like that (and I only ovulated a week later!)

My doctor did the same!

I think when you've just discussed the intimate details of your last menstrual cycle with someone they really should give you the benefit of the doubt. Fine, use LMP as the standard date if there is no other date available but if there is and the midwife is told this then we really should be believed and given enough credit that we know when our pregnancies start.

I told the midwife exactly when I'd ovulated and exactly how I knew that was the correct date (opk, temp, early BFP) and yet she STILL wouldn't accept that date as being definitive. Yet with fertility treatment, administered by a doctor, it would have been believed. It seems as if the defining of our due date is the first step of the medical profession assuming control of our pregnancies and taking that control away from us.

Having spent time in the TTC forums I'd say that there are a lot of women out there who know exactly when they conceived and yet professionals don't seem to ever acknowledge this.

My first baby measured 3 days ahead at 12 week scan. This meant when I went into labour at 41+4 by ovulation or 42 weeks by scan I was counted as high risk and sent into hospital in labour for a scan setting off a chain of events that contributed to slow labour and c-section. With my second I made it quite clear I would only ever consent based on actual due date and not the approximation from the 12 week scan. LMP wasn't an issue with that pregnancy as I hadn't had a period since before my first was conceived. With my MMC I was told at 8+5 there was still a chance my 6+ sac could grow a baby even though I'd tested positive at 10dpo.

When I booked my 12 week scan they used my LMP to give me a date, but I told them that I ovulated early and wanted the scan a week early, they were a little skeptical but did it anyway. Well good thing they did because I had my scan at 12+2 according to LMP, but baby was measuring 13+5 (anything after 13+6 is unreliable, especially for NT scan). The tech agreed that I ovulated early and told me ''good thing you came today, baby is almost too big for that ultrasound''

Trust me this happens with with ivf where there is absolutely noooooo doubt on the exact day and moment things happened. It is easier if you just lie about when your lmp is lol

I can understand how frustrating this must be for you :( It does sometimes feel like they treat us as if we don't know squat about our own bodies.

I'm sure there are many women who blindly enter motherhood and do not understand their bodies, however, when a woman comes forward stating they know when the ovulated, etc, I don't know why some medical professionals cannot accept that for once, that individual DOES understand their body.

It has struck me as odd too really. I do understand that they need a blanket policy but like for example I have a 34 day cycle, so going on my lmp I will have my scan at just gone 11 weeks, because they'll think I'm 12 weeks. Exactly the same happened with my first baby.

It's fine by me, they will just correct their dates after the scan but its so hard to get a scan at my hospital, they are always busy, surely scanning women early who know when they will be 12 weeks doesn't make sense if someone like the lady above who was further along need the slot.

I don't think mine believes I'm pregnant!!

I said I didn't know my last period as I've had practically no period since going back on the pill.

She asked when I came off the pill and I explained I hadn't, but one night we didn't use a condom so I'm 99% sure it must have been that night the pill failed.

She then questioned my symptoms as 'the pill doesn't fail'. Well it has twice with me love!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->