• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

do u believe in god?

Atheism requires no faith whatsoever, in my opinion. I'm not happy with asking my kids to make any leap of faith before they have the capacity to understand what that entails. I will tell them what I think, and that other people think different things, and that no one knows for sure, and isn't that amazing etc.

Hmmm. I would never bad mouth religion nor say there isnt a god. I dont believe but I want my children to make up their own minds, and actually that happened much younger (with my oldest) than I expected, for the past two years or so he has considered himself Christian and follows all their festivials, as well as reading a children's bible. He also wants to go to Church, so he goes from time to time. I am fine with that, as I said it is important to me that they make up their own minds and to me that is not imposing my thoughts on whether there is a god or not.

Atheism requires no faith whatsoever, in my opinion. I'm not happy with asking my kids to make any leap of faith before they have the capacity to understand what that entails. I will tell them what I think, and that other people think different things, and that no one knows for sure, and isn't that amazing etc.

This. :flower: sums it up for me.

Somthing that does confuse me (and I honestly dont mean to offend by this) is people that say they will raise their child as an athiest untill they can make their own mind up.
By raising them as a athiest you are already implanting ideas onto them of what they should and shouldnt believe in.
In terms of a athiest the general belief is there is no god so how does raising your child as a athiest help them to make their own minds up.
Isnt there little differance between a family that raise their child in a religious home with the intention of letting them make their own minds up later and a family that raise their child in a athiest home with the same intention, both are still intilling preconceptions and believe and influancing beliefs wether they mean to or not.

Maybe a agnostic upbringing would be better, "there could be a god or there may not, no one can prove either way" that way any future belief (or lack of beliefe) then truely comes from their own heart and mind rather then influance

Not sire if that was for me but how do you know I am bringing my children up with no beliefs at all? I am teaching them about all religions its another subject they must know about. Your own belief is personal to you. I would say I am siding with agnostic, I do not believe in god, Jesus and all of that but I would like to believe in spirits. There is something there on that end. Its ok for Christians to raise children with their beliefs cant I raise mine with my own or is it because they are different I cant?

No it wasnt specificaly for you, it was out there for anyone.
I see quite often the statement of "we will raise our child as a athiest and let them make their own mind up later"its just a view thats baffled me and was hoping someone could discuss a insite into it that I hadnt thought of.
At no point was I saying you or anyone was bringing their children up with no beliefs at all.
TBH im a bit unsure what your reply or this part especialy has anything at all to do specificaly with what I was saying.

Its ok for Christians to raise children with their beliefs cant I raise mine with my own or is it because they are different I cant?

The point I was trying to make is athiest is a belief in itself ie "I believe there is no god." to me that is just as strong as saying "I believe in god" and no matter whether the household is religious or athiest it is still a general beliefe that will play a part in influancing a child.

Interesting. Its just another subject here, one of fiction. Sorry if that offends some. Thats not my intention I am just trying to explain how religion works in my house. Though I to am looking forward to learning more about all religions, other cultures and beliefs. I am not some sort of hating atheist that goes around bashing others beliefs. I have a lot of friends from different religions. I actually done pretty well on the subject in school to.

^ I dont believe in god but I wouldnt class that in itself as a religion?

No not specificaly a religion but still a beliefe, a anti religion if you will. discussing athism with a young child can still influance them just as much as discussing religion with a child.

Not saying either way is right or wrong just something that I find interesting as a discussion, the idea of influancing a child to believe what we believe even if we dont intend to or realise we are doing so.

I think you are right there. They will pick up on parents beliefs but they will form their own in the end.

We won't be telling our children that there isn't a god (we probably won't be talking about a god to be fair!) and religions won't be being bad mouthed either :wacko: I don't think that's a very fair thing to say that atheists do. I don't believe in a God but I wouldn't call myself an atheist, just a believer in science.

I dont believe their is a "god" as described in the bible so if my children ask I ALWAYS say that I personally dont believe in god but that no one knows for sure either way. I explain why I feel the way I do. So I dont think I sway their views. My kids are around a fair few religions to be fair lol x

Yes that is amazing but what I was trying to say is that isnt atheism, thats agnostic.
Atheism by deffinition is a beliefe that there is no such thing as god and that all religion are wrong and science is right (I believe there is room for both science and religion)
Agnostic is the beliefe that there may or may not be a god and that no one knows for sure so thats why it confuses me when someone who wants a nuteral houshold and family in terms of religion but refers to it as atheism. (does that make sense?)

I can honestly say the subject of "god" comes up in our house about once a year. I cant say its something we talk about on a daily basis.

It comes up everytime my cousin visits, hes a "born again christian" that clearly has never read the bible.
Last time he was here we had 3 hour loud "discussion" because he tried insisting jesus was around the same sort of time as dinosours :dohh:

It comes up everytime my cousin visits, hes a "born again christian" that clearly has never read the bible.
Last time he was here we had 3 hour loud "discussion" because he tried insisting jesus was around the same sort of time as dinosours :dohh:

:wacko::wacko: LOL.

:wacko::wacko: LOL.

That made me LOL!

Its never talked about in here either. But my mother thinks I am a disgrace for not believing. :wacko:

Dunno what you're all laughing at, a dinosaur carried Mary to the stables dont you know?

:haha: wish there was a dinosaur smiley :rofl:
x

Yes that is amazing but what I was trying to say is that isnt atheism, thats agnostic.
Atheism by deffinition is a beliefe that there is no such thing as god and that all religion are wrong and science is right (I believe there is room for both science and religion)
Agnostic is the beliefe that there may or may not be a god and that no one knows for sure so thats why it confuses me when someone who wants a nuteral houshold and family in terms of religion but refers to it as atheism. (does that make sense?)

I don't want a neutral household, I want an atheist household. I'm not agnostic, hence me saying I will tell my kids what I believe and why. I'll also tell them about what others believe. When they are an appropriate age, if they discover they have or want to have faith in a religious belief system then that is entirely their decision.

I don't want a neutral household, I want an atheist household. I'm not agnostic, hence me saying I will tell my kids what I believe and why. I'll also tell them about what others believe. When they are an appropriate age, if they discover they have or want to have faith in a religious belief system then that is entirely their decision.
I think this is a fair answer, I want the same to. I dont see why any one would think this is wrong?

https://www.smileyvault.com/albums/stock-emoticons/games-emoticon-0018.gif

:thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->