• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

do u believe in god?

Atheism requires no faith whatsoever, in my opinion. I'm not happy with asking my kids to make any leap of faith before they have the capacity to understand what that entails. I will tell them what I think, and that other people think different things, and that no one knows for sure, and isn't that amazing etc.

Yes that is amazing but what I was trying to say is that isnt atheism, thats agnostic.
Atheism by deffinition is a beliefe that there is no such thing as god and that all religion are wrong and science is right (I believe there is room for both science and religion)
Agnostic is the beliefe that there may or may not be a god and that no one knows for sure so thats why it confuses me when someone who wants a nuteral houshold and family in terms of religion but refers to it as atheism. (does that make sense?)

I don't want a neutral household, I want an atheist household. I'm not agnostic, hence me saying I will tell my kids what I believe and why. I'll also tell them about what others believe. When they are an appropriate age, if they discover they have or want to have faith in a religious belief system then that is entirely their decision.
I think this is a fair answer, I want the same to. I dont see why any one would think this is wrong?

https://www.smileyvault.com/albums/stock-emoticons/games-emoticon-0018.gif

It isn't wrong. It also isn't any different to many religious households. Atheists sometimes like to accuse religious families of "indoctrinating" their children, whilst failing to see that they are doing exactly the same.

Atheism requires no faith whatsoever, in my opinion. I'm not happy with asking my kids to make any leap of faith before they have the capacity to understand what that entails. I will tell them what I think, and that other people think different things, and that no one knows for sure, and isn't that amazing etc.

Yes that is amazing but what I was trying to say is that isnt atheism, thats agnostic.
Atheism by deffinition is a beliefe that there is no such thing as god and that all religion are wrong and science is right (I believe there is room for both science and religion)
Agnostic is the beliefe that there may or may not be a god and that no one knows for sure so thats why it confuses me when someone who wants a nuteral houshold and family in terms of religion but refers to it as atheism. (does that make sense?)

I don't want a neutral household, I want an atheist household. I'm not agnostic, hence me saying I will tell my kids what I believe and why. I'll also tell them about what others believe. When they are an appropriate age, if they discover they have or want to have faith in a religious belief system then that is entirely their decision.

And of course that is your right to do and at no point was I saying it was wrong :)
I just see little differance between a religious family and a athiest one in terms of influancing the future possible beliefs of a child.

To me thats like saying everyone around me supports man united but I want my child to pick their own team so ill raise them in a liverpool houshold.

I don't think that comparison is really the same. I don't believe in god so more than likely the topic won't even be spoken about in our house, but our children will grow up and learn about all the religions in the world. If they choose to follow a religion when they are older then that's totally up to them. I don't know many religious families that would be keen for their children to choose a different faith then that they were bought up in and believe in, but of course that doesn't mean every religious family will be the same as the ones I know.

I agree. My mom sent both my brother and I to a Jewish preschool, but I was baptized protestant. I explored church and various religions when I entered high school and decided on a mixture of Paganism and Wicca :). My brother believes in God in the Christian sense, so I suppose this is an example of how families can be open to religion, but not force (and I use this in the mild sense, so don't pick it out) one particular one or the other on their children.

See, I don't think atheist parents can be accused of 'indoctrinating' in the same way as religious parents, given the opposing nature of the two.

For me, there will be no asking or requiring that my children have faith in something intangible- whereas there is no faith, no leap of faith or suspension of belief in atheism. It's not an alternative to god, it is simply the most very likely scenario.

I think this is a fair answer, I want the same to. I dont see why any one would think this is wrong?

https://www.smileyvault.com/albums/stock-emoticons/games-emoticon-0018.gif

It isn't wrong. It also isn't any different to many religious households. Atheists sometimes like to accuse religious families of "indoctrinating" their children, whilst failing to see that they are doing exactly the same.
Not all atheists think that :) I dont accuse people of indoctrinating children, you raise your children what ever religion if any you are. Makes sence. And you be right if someone atheist does say it is, well it works the same the other way around as you said.
I dont think all religious people are hateful either, and not all atheists are bad. I find some of my religions friends online are shocked when someone atheist is nice. As if they cant tell right from wrong without a belief in god and learning from the bible.

I really dislike this whole 'religious parents' versus 'atheist parents' thing. They aren't 2 set groups. Some atheists will 'indoctrinate' some won't, and it's just the same with religious families. ,

There is a whole spectrum within each belief system, including atheism.

Personally, I believe I'm Atheist verging on Agnostic. I don't believe in God, but then how can we be sure? How can we possibly know there is not such thing as Heaven, Paradise or Reincarnation? How can we possibly know that the 5billion ish people that practice a religion are wrong?

Actually, reading that back I'm probably much more Agnostic.

I know no matter what we teach our children, external influences and internal beliefs will ultimately be what influences them. My 4 grand parents are devout Catholics. My parents both raised Catholic until they left school. However, my father is now Atheist. No questioning it, there is NO God. Where as my mother is Pagan and part of the Scottish PF. Not just some new age hippie who think pagans dance around fires naked and want to join in on the fun, which is what the majority think when she tells them.

I have to agree with RedRose on this one. I don't think that teaching science and leaving the question of faith open equates indoctrination. :shrug:
I suppose you could interpret it that way, as science by nature requires rigorous questioning and inquiry, and I certainly intend to teach my boys to think that way because I think it is really important to have a well-developed critical faculty. I see those as life skills, though. I am not saying to my kids "If you can't prove god exists, then he doesn't" or anything like that.
And I don't think having a critical faculty and having faith are mutually exclusive items, either! :) But it can be trickier to navigate those two. I have taught some evangelical kids science workshops and have seen a major suppression of critical thinking and natural childhood curiosity on more than one occasion. That did bother me. I think there must be a way to teach both things so that a child can reconcile them for himself. I mean, I don't want to see anyone raise their kid so that they just shut down when they are faced with ideas that challenge them - and that goes both ways, science and religion. I like to hope that our kids will be having discussions like this thread! Respectful dialogue, finding places where we share beliefs, gaining insight into the places we don't.

Just read my posts back and wanted to apologise if I sounded grumpy earlier :lol: my posts were very short. Sorry.

I do not believe in God, I think most religions are the oldest scam in the book, TBH. My DH was raised in an uber strict Christian family and he hated it. It ruined his life.

I won't be raising my DD as anything particular. She can investigate all she wants and when she asks me the tough questions I'll have to muddle through.

Just look at the abuses of many churches (especially the Catholic church) filled with awful people

However, that being said, I think I do believe in some kind of God. For me it is almost 'the universe as God' - God is everywhere and in everything the same as we, and everything in the universe, are made from the same particles of energy.

This is word for word what paganism is! I'm a Wiccan, so these are also my beliefs.

I should add now, I was raised in a catholic school. I came out in high school. It was HORRIBLE. I got beat up, food thrown at me, locker trashed, followed home. You name it. By catholics for being gay! I've since met some very nice catholics but anything about the religion makes me very uncomfortable now for obvious reasons. I don't go anywhere near a church other then a funeral because I'm not there for god, I'm there to say goodbye officially. So, I can't give an honest opinion because catholicism has been so tainted for me. Being a wiccan suits my lifestyle just fine. "if you are happy, you make others happy." "harm you none, do what you will." And respect nature, others, the earth and yourself. It's very loose and free. Whatever you put out, comes back three times. If you want a shitty life, be shitty. Be miserable.you're only hurting yourself. Be happy. Persevere. Help others. It will come back eventually.

I dont think believing in religion is "wrong" but I do think that part of it is a fear factor, People are sometimes scared not to believe "just in case". Its also part of how our brains are wired. To us we look for patterns in life.

I do not believe in God, I think most religions are the oldest scam in the book, TBH. My DH was raised in an uber strict Christian family and he hated it. It ruined his life.

I won't be raising my DD as anything particular. She can investigate all she wants and when she asks me the tough questions I'll have to muddle through.

Just look at the abuses of many churches (especially the Catholic church) filled with awful people

WOW, this is not only not true but very rude of you.. WOW

You have the right to believe anything you want, I am catholic and I can tell you I am not awful. Abuse of children happens in every religion and society, Your using that as an example is very insulting .

Note : she didn't say all, she said many. (I realize it's still hard to hear, but just know we realize there are some really great people there too) And considering she had such a negative experience with them it may seem like there is a lot more awful ones. Personal experience changes your views on churches, you may never have had a bad experience but some of us have been treated horribly in the name of religion. Yes, it is the individuals decision, but it was made because of what they believe their religion is about. Personally, my dad and uncles were molested by a priest. I don't go to church. The ones in my town have been horrible to me and my family. But had the religious people in my town been accepting, maybe I would see the church in a different light. I am not trying to insult you or your religion but I see it as its a place that has caused us nothing but pain. we don't want to be a part of it now because some people take it upon themselves to be religious vigilantes and tell us why we're horrible people. I used to believe, but some people ruined it for me.

As far as opinion on organized religion, it's not for me. But whatever floats your boat. I hope I've been clear in what I mean and will clarify if need be.

Well I also think this line is pretty rude and out of line. Its taking the horrible acts of some people in an organization and applying them to the entire populace of the organization, and that would be untrue and hurtful no matter which institution was being discussed.

oh well, don't know why this is "news and debates" if people can't actually handle other opinions. i believe the catholic church and what it stands for is wrong. in my eyes they are homophobic, mysogynistic, and they use the huge amount of money they receive for unethical reasons.

this is my OPINION. i am allowed to have one. i was raised catholic. take a look at how many catholic-born people become atheists. there are lots.

btw, i find it "rude" when religious ppl tell me i'm going to hell or i have a sad empty life. so clearly it's ok for the religious ppl to be cruel but not the non religious.

i don't get it

I 1000000% believe in God.... Not sure how anyone could go through life not knowing what there purpose in life is, how that you just die and then go no where.... Your life would be pointless... How miracles happen everyday.... How a baby comes from one egg and one sperm...

Tell you the truth it makes me sad when people don't believe....

So you're saying purpose of life = God? Because those that don't believe still get by and still have a purpose in life. Their purpose is to live and be there for their loved ones. In all honesty, I find it sad that you think someone's life is pointless if they don't believe in God. I'm assuming the Christian god? People have given me the "miracle of life" "how amazing it is that a baby comes from a sperm and egg" talk and yes, it is amazing, but even after having one I'm failing to see anything "godly" about it. It's amazing alright, an amazing science. Our bodies already contain the DNA and right amount of chemicals to reproduce. If God exists he doesn't give people babies, people make them. The sperm has a certain number of chromosomes from the father and the egg has a certain number from the number. A good mixture of DNA happens when they meet. The egg lays idle until a reaction happens, something to start the life in it. That reaction is the sperm. The egg then divides and keeps dividing and then receives nutrients from the mother to form into a human. It's a science.

Even if one believes in God, they can still think of it as science and the flow of life that their god has created. I don't know what's out there, I don't know if there is a god. I was raised a Christian and was one for a while, but since have gone from agnostic theism to agnosticism to agnostic atheism to back to agnosticism. I will always remain agnostic. I'd like to think something is out there looking out for us but if there is they aren't doing a very good job. We humans are the ones that hold charity projects, who use our hands to feed the hungry, who feed our own children, who support one another, who bring good or bad into the world. No possible god is to blame or not blame.

I don't have a pointless life. I'm a mother to my child and wife to my husband. I don't know if there is an afterlife but if there isn't none of us will know because we'll be dead.

oh well, don't know why this is "news and debates" if people can't actually handle other opinions. i believe the catholic church and what it stands for is wrong. in my eyes they are homophobic, mysogynistic, and they use the huge amount of money they receive for unethical reasons.

this is my OPINION. i am allowed to have one. i was raised catholic. take a look at how many catholic-born people become atheists. there are lots.

btw, i find it "rude" when religious ppl tell me i'm going to hell or i have a sad empty life. so clearly it's ok for the religious ppl to be cruel but not the non religious.

i don't get it

But no one in this thread said the bolded bit so it isnt a case of one rule for one another for another in here. Of course you are entitled to your opinions but there are ways of writing them so not to offend others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->