Do you appreciate hand-me-downs or shop second hand?

We have bought a TON of second hand stuff! We have an AWESOME consignment store here in town where the owners are VERY picky about the stuff they put out to sell. No stains or anything and a lot of it is brand name. Almost all of the stuff we have bought (clothing wise) still has the tags on it and never were worn! We bought a Tommy Hilfiger outfit for 3.50$ and the price tag from when the person bought it was 45$!!!!!!
My MIL tho is alllll about buying all new things, so for Christmas we imagine she will have bought nothing but brand new items!

I'm secretly hoping this bubba is a girl so I can bid on some bundles of baby girl clothes on Ebay!! :rofl::rofl:

With my first (son) I was young and very naive and kitted him out in ALL next clothes from birth and spent a fortune, something I wont do anymore, I think when he got to 3 yrs old (when my 2nd was born) I started shopping for him in Matalan, Tescos, Asda etc, still really nice clothes and half the price.

With my 2nd (daughter) she has been handed down clothes from her 2 older cousins, all next stuff though, my hubbys sister goes mad on buying loads of clothes for her 2 girls, I dont mind coz I end up with them all anyway, so we only have ro buy a few bits for her which is nice.

With this one that Im expecting (boy), I would of re-used my sons clothes but stupidly threw them out years ago :dohh: so I have been buying sleepsuits, vests etc from Tescos, I had £30 voucher for next which I spent on clothes the other day and I have just bought a bundle of 0-3 month clothes from Ebay, 26 items of clothes and I got them for £21 (which included p&p), they arrived this morning and they are brilliant, mostly next and gap, I am mega impressed and I have emailed the seller to say I would be interested to buy from them again if they have any other clothes.

My mum doesnt agree with me buying the clothes from ebay coz I dont know who they are from but the way I see it I can wash them and the clothes I have look brand new and it has saved me loads of money, the same with rattles, I have bought all mine from ebay, i will just wash them either in washing machine or dishwasher before baby has them, I dont see a problem with it at all.

Hee hee, I've been outright cheeky and been asking "so can we use your stuff??". My niece is 16 months and so if we have a girl we can have all of her clothes, plus we'll take the cot if we're in the UK long enough for baby to fit it. My cousin's baby is 6 months and she's already said I can have their crib that was barely used. I know the my Mum is buying me bedding, and I will get a new matress.
I already have a bundle of maternity clothes from ebay and will do the same for a bundle of newborn unisex clothes, although I'm sure I'll be given loads. DH's Nonna is already adding to the boxes of clothes she's knitted in anticipation over the years. I'm planning on getting my pram from ebay, not sure yet whether it will be 2nd hand or not.

Im perfectly happy to use certain things as hand me downs and intend on passing my stuff on to others when im done with it.

There are things though i have only brought new

I like buying new stuff because then it's my choice and i really don't like certain peoples' taste in my family. Got stuck with a horrible cot though that OH's parents insisted on buying because it was £30 in Ikea. It's not what I wanted at all, it's pine when I wanted white, it's got bars all the way round when I wanted the ends to be solid etc. I would have rather paid myself and had what I wanted :( I sound extremely ungrateful I know, but I just like to choose my own things. x

Oh just to add - If I like something 2nd hand or something someone gave me I'd have no problem using it, but I don't really look in charity shops. x

I like buying new stuff because then it's my choice and i really don't like certain peoples' taste in my family. Got stuck with a horrible cot though that OH's parents insisted on buying because it was £30 in Ikea. It's not what I wanted at all, it's pine when I wanted white, it's got bars all the way round when I wanted the ends to be solid etc. I would have rather paid myself and had what I wanted :( I sound extremely ungrateful I know, but I just like to choose my own things. x

Oh just to add - If I like something 2nd hand or something someone gave me I'd have no problem using it, but I don't really look in charity shops. x

Hmm... I have accepted a free cot from a friend, but it's not really what I wanted either. It's white with solid ends... I wanted pine with slats all the way around :rofl: PM me if you'd be up for discussing a swap!

i don't have a problem at all with second hand stuff because at the end of the day babies grow so fast

Hmm... I have accepted a free cot from a friend, but it's not really what I wanted either. It's white with solid ends... I wanted pine with slats all the way around :rofl: PM me if you'd be up for discussing a swap!

Wow sounds perfect! I'll have to ask my OH though 'cause I don't want to offend his parents. x

Oh sorry for calling it horrible by the way :rofl: I just resent it so much 'cause it's not what I wanted! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->