do you believe?

I don't believe in God. To me it seems an absurd idea that there is some kind of "God" up there. If God is a creator, who created Him? Where is He?

I am a strong believer in science and evolution. There is too much evidence for evolution and not enough for creationism imo. All there really is for that is a book that could have been written by anyone.

I would love to have a faith. But I personally can't see that any kind of God exists :flower:

I don't believe in God. To me it seems an absurd idea that there is some kind of "God" up there. If God is a creator, who created Him? Where is He?

I am a strong believer in science and evolution. There is too much evidence for evolution and not enough for creationism imo. All there really is for that is a book that could have been written by anyone.

I would love to have a faith. But I personally can't see that any kind of God exists :flower:

ditto, its all illogical to me religion.

edit: i sound like spock :O

No, I do not believe in God. I believe in Evolution and science. There is so much out there in the solar system. There is IMO no way any form of ''God'' could create it. It's truely amazing.
If there is a God, Like AppleBlossom has said, who created him?
Look up into the sky at night, that's enough to show me there is no such thing.

I believe in evolution as well but I think there is room for both.
"IF" god created the world why does that have to mean evolution couldnt happen?
Why cant evolution all be part of being left to run its course.
The story of adam and eve and how they where created is just a metaphore even the church teach that, they may not have originaly but even they cant dismiss the proof of evolution so they dont believe it actualy did happen that way its just a metaphore for creation.
Even with evolution it had to be created somewhere so why cant the two have anything to do with each other?

I was brought up an atheist, I would like to believe in God but deep down I don't think I do. I have prayed to God before but only in times of desperation so that's what made me think I just thought it would be a nice idea if it was real but I don't truly believe it xx

I believe: God is the mathematical nature of the universe. God is harmonious. God allows bad and good things to occur as they will and always have. I feel suffering and happiness or good and bad are not the main issues. I reckon it's about the experience. As Jimi Hendrix knew. :winkwink:

I was raised by an agnostic dad (coming from a very strict catholic family) and an atheist mum. However as a child I always believed in God; but I didn't believe in the trinity or concept of God as we were taught in school. When I got to my pre-teen years I discovered that what I had always believed; tallied with the Muslim idea of God which was quite a shock as at that time I thought Muslims were similar to Hindus but actually they believe in pure monotheism. I personally believe all the intricities of the world and universe are proof that God exists; and modern scientific discoveries often tally with that which is in the Qur'an, i.e. embryology. Also historically Muslim scientists were at the forefront of scientific discovery, when in Europe seeking scientific knowledge was considered a heresy. Also evolution as in 'survival of the fittest' doesn't contradict a belief in God or creation; its obvious if there are several types of butterflies for example; and there is one that blends in most with its surroundings, that is the one that is going to survive in the long run.

I have flip-flopped back and forth for many years on this subject.

I don't necesarily believe in 'God' - but I believe in a higher power/being. Whether that is the universe, or mother nature, or some inconceivable greater being - well, that I'm not sure of.

I was raised by a Catholic mother and a Jewish father (which, according to my lovely American friend makes me a Jewlic!). I always struggled to believe in there being anything or anyone else out there, having always been firmly rooted in the evolution/science camp.

But since I lost my mum last year, I have questioned things. A lot. I found out I was pregnant on the 12th Jan (total miracle baby, I was told I would never conceive, was on the injection pill, had PCOS, endometriosis) and my mum found out she had cancer two days later. Holly was born on the 19th August, my mum died three months and one day after.

In my mind, Holly was given to me for a reason. To give my life new direction, to help me through the loss of my mum...I see my mum in so many things Holly does, and she will live on through me, and my baby, and my baby's babies.

For a long time, I ranted that no 'God' would take my mum away when I had just had a baby. But now, looking back, as unjust and as devastating as it was, my baby helps it make some kind of sense.

I don't agree with organised religion, in so much as I don't believe that my 'God' punishes, or avenges, or expects me to fulfill certain duties or obligations to meet with his or her expectations. But I have a huge amount of respect for people who do have a strong faith. My sister is a practicing Christian and her faith gives her a lot of peace and strength.

My view? Be nice to people. Respect eachother. Be kind. Love as much and as often as you can. Treat others as you want to be treated. Life, at times, is shit. It will kick your ass as often as it will bring you great joy. There will be downs. Traumatic, devastating, life shaking downs. But there will also be ups. Moments of such pure joy that your whole entire being sings. And that's about it! The Gospel according to Carrie :)

No, don't believe in a god. Why does there need to be a creator ? I believ ein mother nature and science, FACTS.
No issue with those that do believe as long as its not blind faith/unquestioned.

What an interesting discussion, I have found it really interesting to read through different people's beliefs and ideas. These are my religious opinions and journey so far...

I am a Christian, I believe in God, Jesus is the son of God and the Holy Spirit. I try to follow the teachings of the Bible and we will bring up our children to do the same.
I was never brought up with any religion as a child. My mum joined a church for a while when I was 16, I cant remember why she decided to join the church but she did and I came along, I had always had an interest in God and very soon found that the Holy Spirit had entered me and I had become a believer. I was Christened and Confirmed when I was 18. My mum then left the church about 6 months after I was Confirmed (she had split up with one of her boyfriends and decided that this meant there was no God) as we lived so far from the Church in a very rural area I was no longer able to go.

I then went to university and I am ashamed to say that the next few years of my life were very much of sin, drinking and having boyfriends etc. I still believed in God but I guess I was not guided at all, I let the devil tempt me and so did not live the life I should have done, I am very ashamed of this time in my life.

A few years ago I started going to church again but I feel I was still not properly committed to God (although at the time I thought I was) as I had boyfriends, lived with someone for a while, I was picking and choosing the parts of my faith that suited me.

When I met my husband is when I really re-found my faith and committed properly. He has helped guide me and teach me. To make me realise how to properly live my life as a Christian (although there is still a long way to go, I am by no means perfect at all!)

So, what does my religion mean to me? Well, I have finally spent more time reading the Bible, I believe I understand God's plan for me far more now and I understand what God wants of me (does not mean I always get it right though!)

My religion is what I try to base my actions and thoughts upon. And I will bring up my children like this as well.

I believe that God will judge us all when we die, if we repent of our sins and turn to God we will go to heaven, otherwise we will go to hell. I believe only God has the right to judge us, not other man.

I believe God has given us free will but wants us to follow his teachings and love him. I believe we should do this, sometimes in our modern world it can be hard to accept things but then when we truely think about them and understand them we see why. For example I struggled for a while with my husband being the head of the house and my job to obey him, then I looked at the number of failed marriages, people competing to be number 1 and realised that this is the right way to be.

I think sometimes people can think Christians go on about religion a lot but God asks us to share our faith and be proud of it, I do this as much as I can.

My faith gives me sense to the world and an understanding of life, death and a way to live my life. I pray one day all people will turn to God and accept faith.

I do not believe in God.
I believe in evolution and science :flower:

I find it hard to put all my beliefs into writing as I'm a bit of a waffller :p, I like this debate in a RL situ, where it has turned into a friendly debate... but I must say I do believe in God, not 'a' god but a life force.

On the other hand I do have practical scientific reasonings (stephen hawkins etc)- sometimes the two go hand in hand and sometimes they question each other.
I wouldn't say I'm religious and read a book (e.g a bible) or go to a place of worship, but I have faith in life (as well as death) and make my own mind up about the meaning of it all, why we are here, and what paths we chose, therefore nobody can preach to me on a religious angle and 'convert me', but out of all the things I've read I would say the dali lamas teachings is one that I've most been influenced by when it comes to dealing with everyday situations :)

I do not believe in God.
I believe in evolution and science :flower:

just wanted to mention that i read a very interesting book about the "science vs god" debate and how it is very possible to believe in both. it's by a medical geneticist who worked on the human genome project, who also believes in god. very interesting read.

https://www.amazon.com/Language-God-Scientist-Presents-Evidence/dp/0743286391

i believe in evolution, i believe in science, i don't believe in god (in the sense of organised religion) but i do possibly believe in a higher level.

if i do believe in a "god", it is in a deist concept, rather than a theist. i most certainly do not believe in a being who watches over us and influences our actions.

science is very similar to religion, you can only "believe" in science if you have faith. have you ever seen an atom? have you ever explored space? you have faith that these things exist and act in the way that scientists claim. much scientific theory is just that, theory, difficult if not impossible to actually prove, and much of it unseen - not too unlike "god".

I believe in the God of the Bible, Jehovah. He created a perfect world but gave us free will. When Adam and Eve disobeyed Him, sin entered into the world and ruined it. All human beings since Adam and Eve are born as sinners. God is just, so the punishment for sin is death. He sent Jesus Christ as a substitute for us, to live the perfect life that we could never live and then die to take the punishment for our sins. Those who repent of their sin and believe on the Lord Jesus Christ will be saved and have everlasting life in heaven.

I agree with this! Only I don't believe people are born into sin, if a baby/child dies s/he doesn't go to hell because s/he hasn't been on this earth long enough to do any sin.

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."
:thumbup:

I didn't believe in god as such but I believed there was something out there as this can't be it.
After my oh died things the reverend said to me was very comforting and I have to believe in something as if there's nothing my won't no about our baby on the way.

Id love to believe 100% but the things some people do in the name of religion puts me off

I find it fascinating that the discussion has turned into a bit of a science v faith one. The two are not really mutually exclusive. There are many scientists who today are Christians or followers of other religions. It seems odd to say I don't believe in God, I believe in evolution. There's far more to faith than religious dogma.

I don't follow a religion. I was brought up Christian and left it all behind me as it became clear to me that all religion is a social construct largely constructed by men and frequently to control women, but certainly society at large. I believe it has had a purpose and has a purpose still as a form of social control but this means it is also veery open to abuse and corruption.

To me faith is separate from religion. Science can certainly challenge religion in the sense of, for example, the creation story or others in the bible being read literally. When the texts for the major religions were laid down we had very little understanding of the world compared to that which we have now and of course in the past our great scientists were mostly religious, it was the norm to be so.

I do have faith. Not in any way that can really be explained, I certainly don't think there is a God who governs or judges us, I don't think there is heaven or hell. But the universe is incredible and I see no reason why there couldn't be a creator who laid down the mathematical and scientific principles upon which the Universe runs. This is why I say faith and science are not mutually exclusive. Science will NEVER understand how the Universe came to be, even if it understands the process.

I disagree that science is a religion though I can see why those who aren't scientists might feel that way. For those who do not understand the scientific principles then the stories they read are taken on faith. However the extreme end of physics is very hypothetical and controversial because it isn't possible to test to the degree of certainty we are used to on Earth. I do find that the scientific atheist is often equally as passionate, and I would argue irrational, as many a fundamental theist. The Dawkins brigade is as closed mind as the next fundamentalist.

Whats the big deal with eternal life and going to heaven?? I am quite happy to enjoy the here and now. When my time is up , I believe that is it and that is ok for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->