do you believe?

Whats the big deal with eternal life and going to heaven?? I am quite happy to enjoy the here and now. When my time is up , I believe that is it and that is ok for me.

Me too. When I was younger I remember a Christian adult (can't remember who it was now :wacko: but they were an adult and I was a child) asked me what I believed happened when you die, I said "nothing, you just die :shrug:" They got really upset on my behalf and said it was so sad that I had just resigned myself to nothingness after death. I just said "isnt that the point of death?"

I don't believe in any God. I believe in science and evidence. Always have done.

I hope you don't mind me asking this, it is general interest rather than debate, but what do you think of Einstein's quote - "Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind."?

yes thats how I see it too, I like to remain openminded to both :thumbup:

I believe in God. For me science and religion are not mutually exclusive. Science speaks for itself but faith and religion can be open to interpretation.

The garden of Eden, as I was always was taught, was a parable and was not intended to be taken literally. I am a catholic but am a firm believer in evolution.

I find it fascinating that the discussion has turned into a bit of a science v faith one. The two are not really mutually exclusive. There are many scientists who today are Christians or followers of other religions. It seems odd to say I don't believe in God, I believe in evolution. There's far more to faith than religious dogma.

I don't follow a religion. I was brought up Christian and left it all behind me as it became clear to me that all religion is a social construct largely constructed by men and frequently to control women, but certainly society at large. I believe it has had a purpose and has a purpose still as a form of social control but this means it is also veery open to abuse and corruption.

To me faith is separate from religion. Science can certainly challenge religion in the sense of, for example, the creation story or others in the bible being read literally. When the texts for the major religions were laid down we had very little understanding of the world compared to that which we have now and of course in the past our great scientists were mostly religious, it was the norm to be so.

I do have faith. Not in any way that can really be explained, I certainly don't think there is a God who governs or judges us, I don't think there is heaven or hell. But the universe is incredible and I see no reason why there couldn't be a creator who laid down the mathematical and scientific principles upon which the Universe runs. This is why I say faith and science are not mutually exclusive. Science will NEVER understand how the Universe came to be, even if it understands the process.

I disagree that science is a religion though I can see why those who aren't scientists might feel that way. For those who do not understand the scientific principles then the stories they read are taken on faith. However the extreme end of physics is very hypothetical and controversial because it isn't possible to test to the degree of certainty we are used to on Earth. I do find that the scientific atheist is often equally as passionate, and I would argue irrational, as many a fundamental theist. The Dawkins brigade is as closed mind as the next fundamentalist.

I was going to write a reply and then I read this and thought fuck it, I'll just quote it :lol: :thumbup:

I too don't see science and religion as mutually exclusive. I think science as we know it requires a leap of faith, albeit a calculated and informed one.

I think it's wonderful that billions of people around the world find comfort in their belief of a God or a creator, and since having my daughter I wish I also had faith, but I just don't.

Our existence is a miracle in itself, our consciousness is a miracle. Our natural ability to feel love and joy and empathy for others is a miracle to me.

Because of that I don't need to believe in a God.

:rofl: thanks! It's better if my essay is worth the opinions of two people than just one! Lol

I believe in God. For me science and religion are not mutually exclusive. Science speaks for itself but faith and religion can be open to interpretation.

The garden of Eden, as I was always was taught, was a parable and was not intended to be taken literally. I am a catholic but am a firm believer in evolution.

I like this, I am not catholic but I am starting to go to church more, I want to believe so I am doing an alpha course. x

I don't believe in or follow a particular religion. Some principles of Christianity I agree with others I do not such as homosexuality being a sin and women having to obey their husbands.

I do believe in god, very much so although there have been times in my life that I've lost faith. I am married to an atheist though. I feel that a persons religion, faith, spirituality or relationship with god are very individual things even if we celebrate them as a community in a churchor similar and dislike when people expect others to justify their beliefs 'or lack of' or when people expect their religious beliefs to dictate the laws which govern others.

Ita, and I could discuss for hours the ideological and political nature of the evolution of the catholic church (not to be confused with the theory of evolution that you were talking about lol) as a practicing catholic because my brother is very conservative in his beliefs wheras I tend towards being more liberal. It just shows that even within a huge religious community that faith, beliefs and ones relationship with god is very individual.

I find it fascinating that the discussion has turned into a bit of a science v faith one. The two are not really mutually exclusive. There are many scientists who today are Christians or followers of other religions. It seems odd to say I don't believe in God, I believe in evolution. There's far more to faith than religious dogma.

I don't follow a religion. I was brought up Christian and left it all behind me as it became clear to me that all religion is a social construct largely constructed by men and frequently to control women, but certainly society at large. I believe it has had a purpose and has a purpose still as a form of social control but this means it is also veery open to abuse and corruption.

To me faith is separate from religion. Science can certainly challenge religion in the sense of, for example, the creation story or others in the bible being read literally. When the texts for the major religions were laid down we had very little understanding of the world compared to that which we have now and of course in the past our great scientists were mostly religious, it was the norm to be so.

I do have faith. Not in any way that can really be explained, I certainly don't think there is a God who governs or judges us, I don't think there is heaven or hell. But the universe is incredible and I see no reason why there couldn't be a creator who laid down the mathematical and scientific principles upon which the Universe runs. This is why I say faith and science are not mutually exclusive. Science will NEVER understand how the Universe came to be, even if it understands the process.

I disagree that science is a religion though I can see why those who aren't scientists might feel that way. For those who do not understand the scientific principles then the stories they read are taken on faith. However the extreme end of physics is very hypothetical and controversial because it isn't possible to test to the degree of certainty we are used to on Earth. I do find that the scientific atheist is often equally as passionate, and I would argue irrational, as many a fundamental theist. The Dawkins brigade is as closed mind as the next fundamentalist.

Such an excellent post imo. :thumbup:

Such an excellent post imo. :thumbup:

As always from peanutbean :flower: and especially the bit bolded. (because I agree :haha::blush:)

The universe is incredible in any way but it's also filled with "coincidences" which many scientists or atheists try and palm off with the anthropic principle but it doesn't answer it to me. We don't know how many universes exist but we do know that this one most probably has a finite past. Things are remarkably stable considering. The universe is awesome! :thumbup:

I believe in God- and science, and evolution. My husband and I are constantly at odds with our religious beliefs- he is a Bible-believing Christian and feels that God is a jealous god and put people on earth only to worship Him and live their lives according to His Word. DH is often in turmoil wondering if he's doing the right thing, thinking the right thoughts, avoiding the wrong things, etc.
Me, I believe that God is a loving, forgiving god who put people on this earth for about the same reason we have children- to love them. To watch them grow, to guide them but also allow them to blossom. My husband is concerned that I'm sinning by re-defining God in an image I want him to have- I'm wondering whether my husband will drive me or himself insane first. :dohh:

I do. I may not understand all things, but I look at my daughter and I know that my husband and I are talented...but we are not that good to make something so beautiful and so perfect without divine intervention. I believe that only His artistic hands could create such a beautiful person...and I believe that He is a forgiving God because I know I've done lots of horrible and terrible things in my life, yet I still received this beautiful gift.

But this is my opinion...no dirrespect to those who feel different.

What an interesting discussion, I have found it really interesting to read through different people's beliefs and ideas. These are my religious opinions and journey so far...

I am a Christian, I believe in God, Jesus is the son of God and the Holy Spirit. I try to follow the teachings of the Bible and we will bring up our children to do the same.
I was never brought up with any religion as a child. My mum joined a church for a while when I was 16, I cant remember why she decided to join the church but she did and I came along, I had always had an interest in God and very soon found that the Holy Spirit had entered me and I had become a believer. I was Christened and Confirmed when I was 18. My mum then left the church about 6 months after I was Confirmed (she had split up with one of her boyfriends and decided that this meant there was no God) as we lived so far from the Church in a very rural area I was no longer able to go.

I then went to university and I am ashamed to say that the next few years of my life were very much of sin, drinking and having boyfriends etc. I still believed in God but I guess I was not guided at all, I let the devil tempt me and so did not live the life I should have done, I am very ashamed of this time in my life.

A few years ago I started going to church again but I feel I was still not properly committed to God (although at the time I thought I was) as I had boyfriends, lived with someone for a while, I was picking and choosing the parts of my faith that suited me.

When I met my husband is when I really re-found my faith and committed properly. He has helped guide me and teach me. To make me realise how to properly live my life as a Christian (although there is still a long way to go, I am by no means perfect at all!)

So, what does my religion mean to me? Well, I have finally spent more time reading the Bible, I believe I understand God's plan for me far more now and I understand what God wants of me (does not mean I always get it right though!)

My religion is what I try to base my actions and thoughts upon. And I will bring up my children like this as well.

I believe that God will judge us all when we die, if we repent of our sins and turn to God we will go to heaven, otherwise we will go to hell. I believe only God has the right to judge us, not other man.

I believe God has given us free will but wants us to follow his teachings and love him. I believe we should do this, sometimes in our modern world it can be hard to accept things but then when we truely think about them and understand them we see why. For example I struggled for a while with my husband being the head of the house and my job to obey him, then I looked at the number of failed marriages, people competing to be number 1 and realised that this is the right way to be.

I think sometimes people can think Christians go on about religion a lot but God asks us to share our faith and be proud of it, I do this as much as I can.

My faith gives me sense to the world and an understanding of life, death and a way to live my life. I pray one day all people will turn to God and accept faith.

:thumbup:

I don't believe at all because science and evidence says there is nothing, it's just a story to me with nobody to back it up.

I don't believe at all because science and evidence says there is nothing, it's just a story to me with nobody to back it up.

This is pretty much my dh's view. God slots into the same category as Santa Claus, the Easter bunny or the tooth fairy in his opinion.
I disagree though that there is any scientific evidence to prove or support the view that there is nothing (as far as I'm aware), just as there is no scientific evidence to prove or support the idea that god exists. I doubt there ever will be, (until we die and either find out that there is or cease to exist).

I believe in Science but I also believe that there is a spirtual side to the world, and I feel like some people just are scared to believe in it :) (My OH one of them)

I think you can believe in "science and evidence" as well as a higher power.

Example: Love. I believe my love for my OH and my LO is not just a chemical reaction in my body. Therefore in my reality I love my OH more than he loves me because he believes its all science. (I kinda believe we each have our own realities and life is what we make of it for ourselves) I also believe my soul is something that cannot be explained by science. I am fine with it being an unknown. I don't think mainstream religions really cover it either.

This is pretty much my dh's view. God slots into the same category as Santa Claus, the Easter bunny or the tooth fairy in his opinion.
I disagree though that there is any scientific evidence to prove or support the view that there is nothing (as far as I'm aware), just as there is no scientific evidence to prove or support the idea that god exists. I doubt there ever will be, (until we die and either find out that there is or cease to exist).

It can't be proved either way, you're right. For me though, and i agree with your DH, that it's just a very embellished story for me, that i just cannot grasp.

I believe in Science but I also believe that there is a spirtual side to the world, and I feel like some people just are scared to believe in it :) (My OH one of them)

I think you can believe in "science and evidence" as well as a higher power.

Example: Love. I believe my love for my OH and my LO is not just a chemical reaction in my body. Therefore in my reality I love my OH more than he loves me because he believes its all science. (I kinda believe we each have our own realities and life is what we make of it for ourselves) I also believe my soul is something that cannot be explained by science. I am fine with it being an unknown. I don't think mainstream religions really cover it either.

Me too!!!! Me too!!!! And my OH is the same as yours. Although if you used the word "scared" he'd disagree. Because obviously being a man he would never be scared of anything! :bodyb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->