Do you ever wish that the women who fought to be able to work hadn't?

Thanks girls! Definitely helping me realize how great we have it :)

If there were less people in the workforce than more people would have higher paying jobs because employers would have to raise salaries in order to employ people. This would mean that it would make it easier to be SAHM. Supply and demand.

If there were less people in the workforce than more people would have higher paying jobs because employers would have to raise salaries in order to employ people. This would mean that it would make it easier to be SAHM. Supply and demand.

That might work if it were a closed economic system, but we live in a globalised age and companies will simply take their production systems to countries with a cheaper supply of labour if salary costs become too high. This is not a consequence of feminism, it's a consequence of globalisation.

I for one am extremely glad I have the capacity to work and earn an independent income.

I'm glad I have equal rights and the choice to work but I also think in some respects when it comes to working the word choice has been replaced by "have to" if that makes sense. I do think in an ideal world it would be financially possible for more families to be able to have one parent stay at home if they so choose as I believe it can benefit both the child and the parents.

No, but I do wish SAHMs were paid even if we have a partner for the work we do :lol:

No I dont wish they hadnt fought for the rights because as much as somtimes I wished I could have been a stay at home mum and as much as some days I do hate my job (more so the managment rather then the job) there are millions of of women over the years that have benafited from the sufregette movement that never would have had the chance to get anywhere in life without it not to mention general womans rights when it comes to equality.
I couldnt be selfish enough to sacrafice thier rights to make myself happier and truthfully I dont think I would be happier.

We were living on 2 incomes for 6 years before we had LO.....transitioning to one has not been so hard, we have a house payment, one car payment, hospital bills etc....but we live very frugally and don't have to have the brand new thing, all the time. Our TV' are old, we don't have a lot of gadgets, neither of us has a brand new car....sometimes it seems people have to work to keep up with the things they want, rather than trying to limit it a bit and live on less.

Just IMO, no bashing towards anyone.....

I know what you mean, it's like when people moan about having no money but then they buy cigarettes and alcohol every week. The only luxury we really have is the Internet, we have basic tv, and we're also selling oh's car so we will only have the one car to run and no finance payments to worry about. Apart from the Internet (which is only £2.99 a month) we only have to worry about the usual bills and we meal plan every week do we only buy what we need food wise. We spent £30 on the shopping this week, it can be done. You just need to make sacrifices.

But at the same time some areas are more expensive than others, and its not always as easy as just moving to a cheaper area, so I do understand why in a lot of cases both parents need to work. My oh works full time for minimum wage, and whilst we do budget and make cuts where possible, it's still tight at times and we don't get many luxuries so I can see why both parents in a family may need to or want to work so they can afford those little luxuries such as sky and holidays etc.

I know what you mean, it's like when people moan about having no money but then they buy cigarettes and alcohol every week. The only luxury we really have is the Internet, we have basic tv, and we're also selling oh's car so we will only have the one car to run and no finance payments to worry about. Apart from the Internet (which is only £2.99 a month) we only have to worry about the usual bills and we meal plan every week do we only buy what we need food wise. We spent £30 on the shopping this week, it can be done. You just need to make sacrifices.

But at the same time some areas are more expensive than others, and its not always as easy as just moving to a cheaper area, so I do understand why in a lot of cases both parents need to work. My oh works full time for minimum wage, and whilst we do budget and make cuts where possible, it's still tight at times and we don't get many luxuries so I can see why both parents in a family may need to or want to work so they can afford those little luxuries such as sky and holidays etc.

Yeah, we live in an area where there really isn't any place you could afford to live on one income. Even if we took away Internet and cable which are our only unnecessary extras, we still couldn't make it work on one income. But that is what comes with choosing to live where we do. It's not even that I don't want to work. I just wonder what it would be like if I didn't need to work. More hypothetical than anything :)

I'm glad I have equal rights and the choice to work but I also think in some respects when it comes to working the word choice has been replaced by "have to" if that makes sense. I do think in an ideal world it would be financially possible for more families to be able to have one parent stay at home if they so choose as I believe it can benefit both the child and the parents.

I totally agree, It's become so expected that everyone should work that I am considered 'missing from the workplace'. Actually, no I'm not missing I'm making a choice and I feel that the choice to stay at home and raise the kids is not a valued one.

See, the ultra feminist in me says to keep a hand in, as kids are not about full time forever. And by keeping a hand in, be it part time or even volunteering, gives an easier transition back to the work place. I read this article today which I thought was interesting

https://m.wsj.com/articles/a/SB10001424127887323764804578314450063914388?mg=reno64-wsj

I totally agree, It's become so expected that everyone should work that I am considered 'missing from the workplace'. Actually, no I'm not missing I'm making a choice and I feel that the choice to stay at home and raise the kids is not a valued one.

I agree with this.

Although I am totally glad for the ability to go to work if I choose and what all previous female generations fought for. I feel that people think I am living off my husband because I don't want to return to work yet. I almost feel like I have to justify taking the time out from work to spend it with my children. It might be nice to not have that hanging over my head and if it was the normal thing for women to do I might not feel so guilty for doing it.

However I would not be willing to give up any of my other rights that they fought for and when I do decide to return to work I will be able to easily because of them and I know I will enjoy it.

No, the people who fought for my rights had 2 big things riding on their backs, they were women, and they were black. No telling what my life would be if they hadn't fought. When I groan about working (or anything really) I think of how people were killed just trying to become equals and that I should be proud to be able to go to work (get on the bus, go in the grocery store, ect). For me it isn't even about income as we did fine on one income during my unpaid leave, but I have the rights to work for pay so I am going to use that right and keep my resume gapless.

I almost feel like it's become, "You have to somehow do both!". Family would ask, "If you both work, does that mean you're not with him all day? How sad for poor baby." Then when told I was planning to stay home with the next two after Ph.D. is finished, from the same people I get, "Does that mean that DH will have to support the family by himself? Poor DH." WTF, what do they want from me?

YES YES YES. I'm not an anti feminist by any means. I think women should be allowed to do what they want. If they want to work, they should. But IMO it's gone so far that I feel I don't have the right to stay home with my children and not work.

I'm expected to be a mother and bread winner. I feel as it's too much for me. I work 45 hours a week and am expecting my 2nd child. I can't begin to explain the exhaustion I feel now, I can imagine when I have 2 under 2. For me I don't feel liberated, I feel like a slave. But we need 2 incomes, mainly because we both have student loans to pay.

I'm not sure what the solution is to this. I just feel so much is expected of mothers now. The expectations are impossible. JMO.

I understand what u mean, it would be nice if life wasnt soo expensive and we could have the choice/afford for one of us to take a few years of work to look after the children.

In our case im the one who wants to stay at work and hubby would like to stay at home but as he currently the main earner we just couldnt afford it.

I spose our problem is i got used to our life style, we have a car, phones, tabs, laptops, tv, movies, holidays and numerous other 'luxuaries' which if we really wanted we would could give up. But then the genersl cost of owning and running a house is more then my wage.

No, but I wish all women had the choice. Unfortunately these days, most do not. I also wish the US had paid maternity leave for all mothers...it really sucks having to leave my babies to go back to work at 6 or 8 weeks.

We were living on 2 incomes for 6 years before we had LO.....transitioning to one has not been so hard, we have a house payment, one car payment, hospital bills etc....but we live very frugally and don't have to have the brand new thing, all the time. Our TV' are old, we don't have a lot of gadgets, neither of us has a brand new car....sometimes it seems people have to work to keep up with the things they want, rather than trying to limit it a bit and live on less.

I agree!!! You do not HAVE to go to work--just figure out what you can give up if you want to stay home. I think a family is much better off with a parent at home. I for one, will not be returning to work as i plan on taking care of my own childern. We don't need fancy cars or need to go on expensive vacations. We believe our family and time spent with our children is more important to us than material things. I'm so lucky my mom stayed home with me and my sister and that our parents made SACRIFICES for our family. I think that's what is wrong with families today - there are so many moms that head back to work instead of spending time with their children during their most critical learning years. If you want to go back to work, do it but if you hate your job and you want to stay home with your children you will have to make sacarifices but it will be so worth it! Please don't take me the wrong way. I just feel sorry for moms who feel that HAVE to go back to work.

I agree!!! You do not HAVE to go to work--just figure out what you can give up if you want to stay home. I think a family is much better off with a parent at home. I for one, will not be returning to work as i plan on taking care of my own childern. We don't need fancy cars or need to go on expensive vacations. We believe our family and time spent with our children is more important to us than material things. I'm so lucky my mom stayed home with me and my sister and that our parents made SACRIFICES for our family. I think that's what is wrong with families today - there are so many moms that head back to work instead of spending time with their children during their most critical learning years. If you want to go back to work, do it but if you hate your job and you want to stay home with your children you will have to make sacarifices but it will be so worth it! Please don't take me the wrong way. I just feel sorry for moms who feel that HAVE to go back to work.

Oh please get off your pedestal, what is wrong with society today is women being judgemental about other people's decisions (and being ignorant to other people's situations) not the fact that we have choices. Live and let live.

Oh please get off your pedestal, what is wrong with society today is women being judgemental about other people's decisions (and being ignorant to other people's situations) not the fact that we have choices. Live and let live.

No one's beging judgemental! I simply gave my opionion. If you disagree that's OK!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->