Do you know which way to fly the Union flag?

smokey

Mummy to a monkey
Reaction score
This is just for a little ammusement.

do you know what way round the Union flag is ment to fly and how to know if its upside down?

Did you even know there was an upside down way to fly the flag?

This is an advert from EDF energy (Électricité de France) posted through our door.
Who knows if its right or wrong? :)

https://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/378617_309637769054762_100000256255210_1232015_175741544_n.jpg

Why cant we have a flag like wales, at lest you cant get that round the wrong way :)

Oh and for a side trivia who knowns what the flag is actualy called? :)

i think it's wrong but that's a pure guess. plus the lines look odd.

I know it's something to do with the thick and thin bits of the white line isn't it?

Hell, lets just go wild and fly it vertically because we are crazy fools who don't give a damn :dance:

I didn't know there was a wrong way. You learn something new everyday!

i think it's wrong but that's a pure guess. plus the lines look odd.

The lines themselves are the right way round so it appears to be right at first but the flag rope part for attaching it to thew pole is on right side (as you look at it not literaly) so because the flag should be attached with the pole on the left hes holding it upside down.

Yes I know im anal :)

But more people should know what way our flag is ment to fly
The larger white stripe should always be at the top left side (normaly the pole side)showing that scotland has priorety over Ireland because it joind the union first.

Oh and for a side trivia who knowns what the flag is actualy called? :)
Union Jack? :shrug: ...I recall hearing that in Canadian History class lol

Nope not the union jack although most people think it is.

So what is it actually called? :shock:

I've always thought it was Union Jack, I'm all confuddled now.

It was a trick question because everyone just knows it as the Union Jack. :)
Its just called the Union flag and is only ever called the Union Jack when its flown on a ship.
Jack is just the phrase for any countries flag flown on a ship

oooooooooo you learn something new everyday, i never realised there was a right way to fly the flag and i thought it was called the union jack!!!

I had to click on this thread just because I got a little excited that somebody else knew it wasn't a Union Jack when it's not on a HMS vessel. :D

Is that sad and/or a little geeky?

a little geeky ;)
but in a very good way!

you learn something new everyday.

According to the people round here, the correct way to fly it is on it's side out of an upstairs window :D

According to the people round here, the correct way to fly it is on it's side out of an upstairs window :D

As long as the thick white lines are still on the side its hung from its right :)

Its amazing how many "offical" places and such fly it wrong.

I find it funny even the BNP get it wrong :)
https://3.bp.blogspot.com/_XLxL5xIl-m8/SSd-jW3IvdI/AAAAAAAABXY/lyssXvdrnUU/s400/griffin-+with+upside+down+union+jack.jpg

I don't understand how it can be upside down.. Isn't it the same in either direction, just backwards if the wind is blowing it the other way?

I don't understand how it can be upside down.. Isn't it the same in either direction, just backwards if the wind is blowing it the other way?

If its on a flag pole the side attached has to have the thick white lines at the top so no matter what way the wind is blowing it will be right even if it appears wrong so the free flowing side has the thick white lines at the bottom.
so even though they both look different both these are correct as its the saide against the poll that counts.
https://burmadigest.info/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/union_flag.jpg https://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQPuur9P-cbs8ci1uoVxNO-XuM3JhMCH9ndaebFKsoemPFsoRrCq03zfxhq

When its on its side it can get tricky ie like bunting because it depends from what side you viewing it but that problem only happens on its side not on a flag pole.

If its a flat image or not hanging from a pole (ie on paper or pinned on a wall) then the thick white line is on the top left.

But there is one thick white line on each side? :rofl:

But there is one thick white line on each side? :rofl:

yeah so it has to be at the top of the other stripes on the side attached to the pole

K... I think I'm getting warmer...

Wouldn't they manufacture all of them with the holes on the correct side? :blush:

thats the problem, poper flags do have them on the correct side its just people putting them up upside down :)
And then you get silly places that just make flags be them big proper ones or little plastic things or objects with the union flag on ie cups and they just make it the wrong way not knowing or realising any different

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->