Do you think CC/CIO is wrong?

I've never left mine to just cry and cry, when we were sleep training Amelia we would put her to bed awake, each time she cried we would go and soothe her and leave the room even if she started crying again on the way out we would have to completely leave the room then go back and soothe her. So she was never left at all for more than a few seconds, it worked well although it was hard work.

It teaches them to sleep by themselves but equally if they cry and are upset you will come right back in to them.

Each to their own.

Firstly I'll explain what I think each method means from the research I have as I think so many people do not understand what CC/CIO involve.

CIO -
Setting times for LO to sleep and nap. At designated sleep time a pre-nap/bedtime routine is done and baby is put into cot fully awake. Parents leave room. Checks are limited to every 20mins with the minimum of reassurance to allow baby to self-settle without any help. At end of designated sleep time LO is taken out of cot even if hasn't fallen asleep yet.

^ This is the method that I don't agree with. However, I have NEVER met nor heard of any person doing it this way. When most people say they think CIO is awful I think that they only think of this method and people can get confused as some people use the term CIO to describe CC (below).

CC - Controlled Crying
When baby is ready for a sleep or nap a pre-nap routine should be done in the dark+quiet sleep area. Baby should be cuddled and put into cot calm and drowsy but still awake. Baby shouldn't be given any props such as a dummy/pacifier (as then CC is pointless as they still rely on having the prop to get to sleep so will still wake for assistance) but can be given a small safe comfort blanket or toy. White noise or swaddling may be used to comfort baby however bear in mind that if you want to wean baby off of these when they are older you may need to do another 1 or 2 nights of CC again. Although generally I've found that once a baby has become a good sleeper it's fairly easy to take these things away!

Baby can be soothed in cot when put down and should be left completely calm and happy. A cot mobile or lightshow could be started when parents leave the room.

Parents should stay outside the room is listen on a monitor so they can listen to babies cries. It helps if both parents (or someone else to help) are there to take turns as this will be the hardest and most devastating thing you have ever done.

When baby starts to cry parents should wait a certain amount of time. The books and websites I have read all suggest different times. The shorter the time intervals the longer it will take CC to work but you might prefer it to be a bit gentler this way. I would suggest on the first night going in after 1 minutes then after 3minutes then after 5minutes then after 8mins, 11mins, 15mins, 20mins (never any longer). I can guarantee that if done correctly with a proper wind down routine and reassurance your LO will not cry for the full periods between checks and will most likely fuss, moan, cry back to fussing etc. Don't wait any longer than you feel comfortable doing between checks.

When you go in you can comfort baby as much as you like. Cuddling, shhhshing etc. but don't do anything to help your baby fall asleep and always put them back down as soon as they are calm, fully awake. When you put them back down soothe them again so that they are as calm as possible when you leave.

For night wakings if it's been 4hours or more you should feed baby (if they are used to night feeds) but make sure to put down fully awake and use CC if necessary to help them fall asleep. They will drop the night feed on their own when they no longer need it as they will no longer associate feeding with falling asleep.

The second method is the one I used with my LO.

I didn't do it because I wanted to teach her to self-settle or because I fancied a full nights sleep or I wanted her to nap at set-times or because I couldn't be bothered rocking or holding her to sleep.

My LO did not know how to sleep. Probably a result of the terrible sleep habits we managed to create when she was tiny due to reflux and colic (she's fine now). I tried everything -

Co-sleeping, feeding to sleep, rocking to sleep, swaddling and white noise in swing, wearing in a sling, going long walks, lullabies, light shows, chamomile, lavendar, baby massage. I even bought an automatic pushchair rocker.

These methods would all help my LO to fall asleep but she could not stay asleep. The slightest change in anything would cause her to wake and start screaming because she was exhausted. During the day she would last around 10-15mins in a sleep before she realised that something had changed and she could no longer sleep. I could rock her to sleep but the only way she could sleep was in a pitch black silent room. So I would go into the room and have to rock her and the instant I stopped or slowed down the rocking because I was exhausted she would waken screaming. At 5ft2 and 96pounds I physically could not rock her for the whole of a 1hour30minute nap she needed at least.

There was nothing wrong with her except she was extremely sleep deprived. She couldn't be put down from my arms for even a second without screaming. She was just so upset and frazzled all the time. If anyone else tried to pick her up or speak to her she'd have a meltdown because she was permanently upset.

She did sleep better at night but had several night wakings and was still not fully refreshed when she woke in the morning, getting progressively worse as the day went on. I was exhausted and used to sob as I tried to get her to sleep as I knew I had no choice but it was pointless as she'd just waken and scream anyway.

Shorty before 7months I decided I'd had enough and did CC. Best decision of my life. The first night/day was horrendous. It was so hard I would shake and vomit with having to listen to her cry - it goes against every bone in your body. After the 2nd night she slept through and I knew there was no going back ever. Naps took a little longer - about 3-6 days to completely fix. And the end result - a happier, more rested, more productive baby. She's literally transformed - She goes to bed at 7pm after her snuggles with Mummy and Daddy and she laughs at us as we give her a kiss and say night night. We give her a cuddly teddy and put her slumber bear noise on and start her mobile. She kicks and plays while watching her mobile and we leave the room. When the mobile stops we hear her yawning and shifting about to get comfy and then we don't hear a peep all night. In the morning she wakes up and we hear her shouting (usually Da Da Da) and "talking" to her teddy.

We go into the room and she greets us, completely refreshed and happy with a huge smile and lifts her arms for us to lift her out of the cot. We go into the living room for our morning wake-up snuggles then we get her changed for the day. She then has her milk and breakfast and comes to "help" while I get dressed, tidy up etc. Then we play silly games until she starts to yawn and I know she wants to go to bed for a nap - we go into her room for a cuddle and I put her down and repeat the same as at bedtime. And then she wakes up happy and refreshed again. Terrible parents????? No I don't think so.

I dont think they are wrong. I personally dont like CIO as in the old fashioned 'shut the door and dont go back in regardless' as I would worry her leg/arm was stuck, she was wet/soiled or she was in pain. CC would have it's place though as you are still letting the baby know you are there. I havent used either. Sometimes Aria will cry when she goes down but literally it lasts about 2 minutes if that. I always go back in but seeing us makes her more excited and this often results in her needing picked up whereas if I let her grumble for 2 mins 9 times out of 10 she settles herself and goes to sleep.

xxx

CC and CIO are basically the same.

No where i have researched about CIO does it say leave baby to cry until they fall asleep.

Basically, the sleep training started as 'CIO' was actually 'CC' but people have taken it to mean 'cry till they sleep'

So technically your cant really agree with one but disagree with the other.

But you can disagree with just shutting baby in cot and leaving them and not checking - that isnt sleep training.

Personally i dont agree with ANY CC before at least 6months, Harrison was 9months when we started because he was a nightmare to try settle! It took about an hour/2hours of me walking about his room holding him before i could put him down without him waking. The first night took 10mins and its just got better and better.

I dont believe it has affected our relationship at all.

Do I think they are wrong? Yes, completely and utterly. My son is a person, a human being and deserves to be treated with the respect and dignity that I would treat any other person that I loved deeply. I would NEVER walk away from my husband if he was crying, nor my mother, my sisters, or my best friend. and they DO have the ability and cognitive awareness to know whats going on. My son doesn't, and I won't put him through that. I've seen the state he gets into, during the day, because I won't let him eat a 7th manderin. Rocking in the corner biting his fist in anger/sadness and frustration. The thought of him doing that, in the middle of the night, in the dark, alone and scared while I sit on the other side of the door in an attempt to 'train' him, makes me feel sick to the stomach. In 18months I've not had more then 5hrs straight sleep at a time. He is a horrible sleeper, and I'm 100% positive anyone else would have gone down the CC/CIO route with a child like him by now. But I never could, never would, and never will. and if that means I lie by his side till he falls asleep for the next couple of years until I can rationally and logically discuss with him whats going on and know that he completely understands, then so be it. As his mum, thats my job. If something EVER happened to him, I NEVER want to look back and wish I'd just cuddled him to sleep the night before.

For those that mentioned the Ferber method, this is a great unbiased write up of it, please take a read.

https://www.parentingscience.com/Ferber-method.html

I do believe CIO and CC are the same. Babies and young children have no concept of time.

In a word, yes I believe it's wrong.
This covers a few reasons why.
https://www.phdinparenting.com/2008/07/05/no-cry-it-out/

It's not for me. My son was a very bad sleeper and I couldn't do it.

To each their own. I don't like it. But, I've been to the point of wanting to do it and I understand why someone would.

I would never do it or advise anyone to do any sort of sleep training. We are raising children, not dogs.

For anyone who is interested have a look here
https://www.analyticalarmadillo.co.uk/search/label/Sleep

CIO babys dont stop crying because they have learnt to self settle, they dont cry because they know no one is coming.

Agreed.

Bethan was a massively fussy sleeper, and it's only now that we're getting her to sleep properly, and getting her to sleep in her cot is still a bit of a nightmare. She goes to sleep during a feed, or during a cuddle with daddy, and I will never do CC/CIO with her. I'm not saying that I havn't been tempted, but I know that I'd hate being left alone when all I want is a cuddle, and if I wouldn't want it myself, then I'm damned sure not doing it to my baby.

The health authority advise against any sort of sleep training before 6 months because if a baby is crying before then, it's because of a genuine need that needs to be met, apparently.

It's not "wrong", it's just not for me. I'll leave Isaac to whine a bit if he's tired and fighting his sleep. But I'd never leave him to actually cry.

My son is a person, a human being and deserves to be treated with the respect and dignity that I would treat any other person that I loved deeply. [/url]

I don't think by sleep training that I am not treating my son with respect or dignity. :shrug:
don't we have to "train" our kids to do all other things in life? including sleep?

I would never do it or advise anyone to do any sort of sleep training. We are raising children, not dogs.

Wow that was really offensive. I'm not treating my son like a dog. If I were I would put a collar on him and leave him in the backyard to cry :dohh:
RUDE

I have on occasion let Keira cry until she falls to sleep. I have never left her to cry by herself, I have just put her in her moses basket and put my hand next to her to let her know that I am still there. I would never leave her to cry alone though.

I believe that doing that has made it much easier for us to establish a routine and I now have a little lady who sleep 11 hours a night :thumbup:

I also don't believe that this is wrong. My daughter gets hundreds of cuddles but when it is bed time she goes to bed and holds my hand and now she knows that and falls to sleep by herself, no trouble. x

My son is a person, a human being and deserves to be treated with the respect and dignity that I would treat any other person that I loved deeply. [/url]

I don't think by sleep training that I am not treating my son with respect or dignity. :shrug:
don't we have to "train" our kids to do all other things in life? including sleep?

Wow that was really offensive. I'm not treating my son like a dog. If I were I would put a collar on him and leave him in the backyard to cry :dohh:
RUDE

Agreed. Even if somebody doesn't agree with it, it isn't right to pass judgement in such a rude manner :thumbup:

RUDE

Agreed. Even if somebody doesn't agree with it, it isn't right to pass judgement in such a rude manner :thumbup:

Right, you can explain your reasonings without insulting someone else

RUDE

Think I might re-name my LO Spot and get her a kennel and run. Maybe a bone will keep her quiet even longer??? Hmmmmm ;-)

I don't do CC or CIO, but that doesn't mean I don't think it's wrong. My sister did it with my niece and it has worked good for her. It doesn't work good for me though! :flow:

RUDE

Think I might re-name my LO Spot and get her a kennel and run. Maybe a bone will keep her quiet even longer??? Hmmmmm ;-)

My old dog enjoyed pigs ears :sick: discusting, but quaranteed to keep our LO's quiet I imagine........ ;)

RUDE

My old dog enjoyed pigs ears :sick: discusting, but quaranteed to keep our LO's quiet I imagine........ ;)

oh, i just put LO in the shed in the backyard....
that way his crying won't bother my beauty rest
:dohh:

CC, in extreme circumstances after one year or something, CIO, never. I have a friend from the US living here and she has always done CIO with her LOs at 1-2 months, it is the one thing she does I will never agree with or understand. I did CIO with my eldest at nearly 12 months because it was just ridiculous he was a very light sleeper so would sleep through but be disturbed by the tiniest noise so he would wake up constantly because of that; I do regret it deeply now though :(. I don't agree that all babies need sleep training to sleep properly; with all of mine I have gradually moved from co-sleeping to putting them in their own bed asleep, then their own bed when half asleep, then their own bed when fully awake and they have learned to self settle with no need for crying or constantly having to go in every few minutes to reassure them. xx

Ok I admit my comment was a little harsh but OP was asking for opinions and I gave mine.

Don't like it? That's up to you

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->