Do you think that hospitals should provide formula milk?

Yeah I see your point. But everyone should be entitled to healthcare imo :flower:

:thumbup: Thanks for being so respectful.

I just don't want people to think that if you cannot afford the normal insurance that people are just cast aside, there are programs for people who need it. :flower:

Yeah I see your point. But everyone should be entitled to healthcare imo :flower:

:thumbup: Thanks for being so respectful.

I just don't want people to think that if you cannot afford the normal insurance that people are just cast aside, there are programs for people who need it. :flower:

No I dont think anyone thinks that :) I have definately heard of medicaid :thumbup:

^Most people get insurance through their employers, but some employers don't offer insurance to part time workers or if you work a job like waitressing, you most likely won't have insurance, although you may be eligible for insurance through the state for lower income families, which usually means you go to doctors which aren't as good. If you have a good employers, insurance isn't that expensive. I think my dad paid $150 a month for insurance for our entire family growing up (me, 2 sister & mum). Regardless though, everytime you go to the doctor you usually have a co-pay of like $20 just for the appointment. I thought it was so weird when i first went to a doctor over here, saw the doctor and left without 'settling up' at the window before i left.

Wow. It makes me realise even more we are pretty lucky to have the NHS!

I just do not think the American insurance is that bad to be honest, compared to what I read on here about the UK. Even when I did not have insurance (was young and didn't think I needed it :dohh:) I ended up in the ER and had to stay overnight... the bill was ridiculous but I was able to get it reduced to a mere 10% of the original bill through appeals. There are programs that children always get care and most of the time if you cannot afford healthcare there is Medicaid or something.

Also the UK and Canada pay for insurance through their taxes and I believe if you make more you pay more.. how is that fair? :shrug: Maybe I am a selfish person but it is not my responsibility to pay for other people's medical care. Unfortunately the system is not perfect, so many people abuse the system and that may cut out some people who need it but thats life.

Its just really irritating to see people bad mouthing the States all the time. :growlmad:

Some of our income taxes go to the health care system, and yes the more money you make, the more income tax you pay. But I have insurance through my employer that they pay for - So all my perscriptions are free, a stay in a private hospital room is free etc. But some employers don't offer that, and if you did not have that insurance all your doctors visits and hospital stays would still be free, you just wouldn't get a private room, and you would have to pay for your perscriptions

I think the UK has a far better healthcare system in place because everybody is entitled, IMO thats all that matters. Yes America's hospitals are in better condition and they have things we dont over here but we cant complain. Like Flubdub said our taxes go towards a lot of things like police, schools, benefits, NHS, and other things. Its not just for NHS which means we get a good service for the money that one single person pays into the NHS. I'm happy with that.
Obviously USA have to have some form of help available but like you said you had to appeal to get that down to 10%. Its all a process, its not like that here.

Although all hospitals here get a budget and they decide how its spent, when my girls were at a hospital in Kent in their NNU they supplied everything, nappies, cotton buds, cotton wool balls, everything. When they were brought back to a hospital in London we had to bring everything in.

Also our system means that if me or my partner ever found ourselves out of a job, we would still be entitled to the same treatment as everyone else. We wouldnt have to worry about insurance, or lack of it. Theres no "better" doctors, hospitals or treatment just because you pay more. We all get the same.

Also our system means that if me or my partner ever found ourselves out of a job, we would still be entitled to the same treatment as everyone else. We wouldnt have to worry about insurance, or lack of it. Theres no "better" doctors, hospitals or treatment just because you pay more. We all get the same.

I don't know about that! My mate gave birth in Chelsea & Westminster which is a fantastic NHS hospital, always rating higher than the majority. I however gave birth at Northwick Park, which just a few years ago had one of the highest maternal death rates (due to negligence) in the capital/country (can't remember which) :wacko: I only found out afterwards!

I think Canada, US, and UK has great healthcare. Different, but great.

I'm not in a place like West Africa and for that I would be grateful. You're looking at a 1/6 or 1/7 maternal mortality rate in some of those countries and a 1/4 death rate for children under the age of 5.

As grumpy as I may be about waiting 6 hours in the ER for my emergency (low priority) care, at least the option exists to even have a hospital to go to. Whether it's free on the spot and paid for through taxes or an insurance nightmare after, it's there.

The core principle behind the setting up of the UK's welfare state was - from each according to their ability to each according to their need. A sentiment I wholeheartedly agree with.

^Most people get insurance through their employers, but some employers don't offer insurance to part time workers or if you work a job like waitressing, you most likely won't have insurance, although you may be eligible for insurance through the state for lower income families, which usually means you go to doctors which aren't as good. If you have a good employers, insurance isn't that expensive. I think my dad paid $150 a month for insurance for our entire family growing up (me, 2 sister & mum). Regardless though, everytime you go to the doctor you usually have a co-pay of like $20 just for the appointment. I thought it was so weird when i first went to a doctor over here, saw the doctor and left without 'settling up' at the window before i left.

Wow. It makes me realise even more we are pretty lucky to have the NHS!

I just do not think the American insurance is that bad to be honest, compared to what I read on here about the UK. Even when I did not have insurance (was young and didn't think I needed it :dohh:) I ended up in the ER and had to stay overnight... the bill was ridiculous but I was able to get it reduced to a mere 10% of the original bill through appeals. There are programs that children always get care and most of the time if you cannot afford healthcare there is Medicaid or something.

Also the UK and Canada pay for insurance through their taxes and I believe if you make more you pay more.. how is that fair? :shrug: Maybe I am a selfish person but it is not my responsibility to pay for other people's medical care. Unfortunately the system is not perfect, so many people abuse the system and that may cut out some people who need it but thats life.

Its just really irritating to see people bad mouthing the States all the time. :growlmad:

Wasn't bad mouthing, I just know how both countries work because I grew up in the US and lived there for 21 years and have lived in the UK for 6 years. I just think, no matter who you are, you are a human being and should be entitled to basic medical care. A country should take care of its people, which I don't really think the US does :nope:. Also, yes in the UK our taxes are higher, but we don't pay for insurance every month and perscriptions are a flat charge of like £7.50 or something, no matter what you get and birth control is free, so it doesn't work out that different actually.

Other than healthcare, I think the US is great, and me, DH and DS are actually moving there in 2 weeks (Maryland) for DH's job. Better weather, better food (IMO), bigger houses--the US is fab. My only gripe is the healthcare but we have insurance anyways, just feel bad for people who don't. :flower:

I started off reading this thinking "Yes of course they should provide it" but I'm now veering more towards bringing your own if you have planned to FF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->