Do you think that hospitals should provide formula milk?

People keep saying - "It would happen" "Imagine the chaos" "Theres no room to sterilise everything."

But it IS happening, in LOTS (not all) of hospitals. Formula is provided for emergencies. If you're not BFing, you take your own and either take glass premade bottles, or there is a room full of sterilising equipment for you to use. Somebody on here once told of how women were made to walk to a room at the end of the hall to make up bottles - even after a c-section.
Its happening.

Yep, that was me and your right it is happening. There was no mad chaos or anything around the room, when I walked past there were about 5 women in there washing and sterilising their baby's things, seemed to work well apart from as I said there were some women walking down there, standing for long periods of time just after a section and in agony, which isnt their best interest IMO.

Ah yes, t'was you :D Hope you dont mind me quoting you (kind of) :haha:

Once again the same debate coming up again and again, even though it wasn't meant to be a bf v ff debate. I think that milk should be provided free of charge for the same reasons given above, babies are patients as are other people in the hospital who are getting meals delivered to them.

To say though that people who decide to FF from the off should have to bring their own but mums who don't successfully BF can get it free is, to me, ridiculous. Whatever happened to freedom of choice...................

I agree with this post.

Whether it's right or wrong for the NHS to provide formula should be a decision based on it's current economic state.

If we start making decisions that one mothers need is more morally worthy of free formula than another mothers choice then things turn ugly.

People keep saying - "It would happen" "Imagine the chaos" "Theres no room to sterilise everything."

But it IS happening, in LOTS (not all) of hospitals. Formula is provided for emergencies. If you're not BFing, you take your own and either take glass premade bottles, or there is a room full of sterilising equipment for you to use. Somebody on here once told of how women were made to walk to a room at the end of the hall to make up bottles - even after a c-section.
Its happening.

I my hospital you have always had to take your own bottles in anyway (well, going back at least 11 years ago anyway)....so the sterilisers etc were there anyway, and Mums have always had to make their own bottles and walk down to do it. So what, women in other countries give birth and then put the baby on their backs and go off out to work.

so anyway....just thought i'd come back to add i was reading an article about price cuts and NHS etc and most of there money goes on pain relief..... 60% of women apparently have the epidural which is a huge finacial burden on the NHS ....maybe women should pay for pain relief (even gas and air) therefore reducing a HUGE amount of money the NHS spend and let the little babies have a drink on the house!

Or epidurals should only be available to people if its needed for a c section, otherwise you should pay for it. After all thats not natural and not a first choice.......

Id actually like to buy some gas and air for at home.... goooooooooood stuff.

Not that I'm a druggy or anything :haha: but you can!!! LOL! People sell it at parties and festivals (completely legal!) in balloons, just called laughing gas! U breathe it in & out of the balloon continuously until it's all gone!

All it is is little canisters of Nitrous Oxide pure (so the gas without the air :lol:) that is used to whip cream in coffee machines etc!

A little light reading :rofl: https://laughinggasballoons.co.uk/

so anyway....just thought i'd come back to add i was reading an article about price cuts and NHS etc and most of there money goes on pain relief..... 60% of women apparently have the epidural which is a huge finacial burden on the NHS ....maybe women should pay for pain relief (even gas and air) therefore reducing a HUGE amount of money the NHS spend and let the little babies have a drink on the house!

Or epidurals should only be available to people if its needed for a c section, otherwise you should pay for it. After all thats not natural and not a first choice.......

I don't like that idea whatsoever if I'm being honest. I think paying for pain relief or any sort of drug is a slippery slope to privatisation and I for one, do not want an american healthcare system.

I don't like that idea whatsoever if I'm being honest. I think paying for pain relief or any sort of drug is a slippery slope to privatisation and I for one, do not want an american healthcare system.

As an American living in the UK, I completely agree. The American healthcare systems is disgusting. Perscriptions are sooooo expensive, people can't afford to go to the doctors or bring their children, if you don't have insurance you are screwed. I once went to hospital for some bloodwork and on the bill they sent me they charged me $12.00 for 1 plaster, and $5 for a cotton bud! Also got charged $80 for 3 months worth of birth control once when i didnt have insurance. :nope:

As an American living in the UK, I completely agree. The American healthcare systems is disgusting. Perscriptions are sooooo expensive, people can't afford to go to the doctors or bring their children, if you don't have insurance you are screwed. I once went to hospital for some bloodwork and on the bill they sent me they charged me $12.00 for 1 plaster, and $5 for a cotton bud! Also got charged $80 for 3 months worth of birth control once when i didnt have insurance. :nope:

$5 for a cotton bud :saywhat: thats a joke. Is the insurance expensive?

^Most people get insurance through their employers, but some employers don't offer insurance to part time workers or if you work a job like waitressing, you most likely won't have insurance, although you may be eligible for insurance through the state for lower income families, which usually means you go to doctors which aren't as good. If you have a good employers, insurance isn't that expensive. I think my dad paid $150 a month for insurance for our entire family growing up (me, 2 sister & mum). Regardless though, everytime you go to the doctor you usually have a co-pay of like $20 just for the appointment. I thought it was so weird when i first went to a doctor over here, saw the doctor and left without 'settling up' at the window before i left.

^Most people get insurance through their employers, but some employers don't offer insurance to part time workers or if you work a job like waitressing, you most likely won't have insurance, although you may be eligible for insurance through the state for lower income families, which usually means you go to doctors which aren't as good. If you have a good employers, insurance isn't that expensive. I think my dad paid $150 a month for insurance for our entire family growing up (me, 2 sister & mum). Regardless though, everytime you go to the doctor you usually have a co-pay of like $20 just for the appointment. I thought it was so weird when i first went to a doctor over here, saw the doctor and left without 'settling up' at the window before i left.

Wow. It makes me realise even more we are pretty lucky to have the NHS!

Not that I'm a druggy or anything :haha: but you can!!! LOL! People sell it at parties and festivals (completely legal!) in balloons, just called laughing gas! U breathe it in & out of the balloon continuously until it's all gone!

All it is is little canisters of Nitrous Oxide pure (so the gas without the air :lol:) that is used to whip cream in coffee machines etc!

A little light reading :rofl: https://laughinggasballoons.co.uk/

lol when i went to reading festival in the early stages of pregnancy i was offered nos by a passer by and declined with a horrified look on my face. only realized a few days later it was gas and air :dohh:

I just do not think the American insurance is that bad to be honest, compared to what I read on here about the UK. Even when I did not have insurance (was young and didn't think I needed it :dohh:) I ended up in the ER and had to stay overnight... the bill was ridiculous but I was able to get it reduced to a mere 10% of the original bill through appeals. There are programs that children always get care and most of the time if you cannot afford healthcare there is Medicaid or something.

Also the UK and Canada pay for insurance through their taxes and I believe if you make more you pay more.. how is that fair? :shrug: Maybe I am a selfish person but it is not my responsibility to pay for other people's medical care. Unfortunately the system is not perfect, so many people abuse the system and that may cut out some people who need it but thats life.

Its just really irritating to see people bad mouthing the States all the time. :growlmad:

I just do not think the American insurance is that bad to be honest, compared to what I read on here about the UK. Even when I did not have insurance (was young and didn't think I needed it :dohh:) I ended up in the ER and had to stay overnight... the bill was ridiculous but I was able to get it reduced to a mere 10% of the original bill through appeals. There are programs that children always get care and most of the time if you cannot afford healthcare there is Medicaid or something.

Also the UK and Canada pay for insurance through their taxes and I believe if you make more you pay more.. how is that fair? :shrug: Maybe I am a selfish person but it is not my responsibility to pay for other people's medical care. Unfortunately the system is not perfect, so many people abuse the system and that may cut out some people who need it but thats life.

Its just really irritating to see people bad mouthing the States all the time. :growlmad:

People get taxed on the amount they earn. Only a certain amount of it goes towards the nhs. The rest goes towards schools, police etc. Surely in the US you get taxed more if you earn more? The only difference here is that they take some money out of that tax and put it towards the nhs. Considering all the things we get for free, I dont think our taxes are that bad. My OH pays 20% tax.
I know I would hate to ever be in a postion where I couldnt take my kids to the doctor because I couldnt afford either, the insurance, or to pay outright.

People get taxed on the amount they earn. Only a certain amount of it goes towards the nhs. The rest goes towards schools, police etc. Surely in the US you get taxed more if you earn more? The only difference here is that they take some money out of that tax and put it towards the nhs. Considering all the things we get for free, I dont think our taxes are that bad. My OH pays 20% tax.

That is true, I guess the thing that drives me nuts are there must be people who don't work and just rely on others hard work to pay for their needs, YKWIM? It doesn't drive you crazy to be paying your fair share and seeing other people getting it for free? I am shocked at how many times I see people post and neither them or their OH is working. It blows my mind. :nope:

I don't mind paying for an elderly lady or a single mummys healthcare tbh :shrug: It is annoying when you see people not working cos they cba BUT such is life.

That is true, I guess the thing that drives me nuts are there must be people who don't work and just rely on others hard work to pay for their needs, YKWIM? It doesn't drive you crazy to be paying your fair share and seeing other people getting it for free? I am shocked at how many times I see people post and neither them or their OH is working. It blows my mind. :nope:

Yeah I see your point. But everyone should be entitled to healthcare imo :flower:

I don't mind paying for an elderly lady or a single mummys healthcare tbh :shrug: It is annoying when you see people not working cos they cba BUT such is life.

I would not either, but in the states the elderly qualify for medicare at a certain age and unless the single mother is rolling in money they usually qualify for medicaid and other programs that help pay for diapers and food. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->