Do you think that hospitals should provide formula milk?

flubdub

Reaction score
THIS IS NOT A FF V BF DEBATE. :D

Do you think that hospitals should provide it? Or do you think you should have to take it in yourself, as most hospitals now require?

I think that the parents should provide the milk x

They should provide it. Babies are patients the same as the mums and they'd be an outcry if mums or any other patients had to provide their own food!

Only problem with that is knowing my luck they wont have the one i wanted..
But yes i think they should provide it.

X

My hospital provided it. I don't see why they shouldn't, BF/FF is the mothers choice, despite what some may think.

My hospital provided it, I never used it tho as I was still trying to breast feed then, I seen a few mum going out to ask for it they even provided the teats x

They should provide it. Babies are patients the same as the mums and they'd be an outcry if mums or any other patients had to provide their own food!

Good point actually :thumbup:

I think it should be available to buy at a heavily subsidised price

I think they should have small stock in emergencies but if a mother has decided to FF then its only fair they should supply their own milk. Maternity Units have a tight enough budget as it is....

If someone has decided to ff from the start i think the hospital should not provide it but have good facilities and instruction on preparing it properly. If they provide it it is often means staff think theu should then give it out willy nilly when it wouldnt usially be needed if bfing. Its very expensive.

oooooooo good point :thumbup:

I did bring my own in, but glad they did provide it as the bottles i brought in were rubbish.

As someone else said, other patients don't have to bring their own food so why should babies. I think that hospitals should provide it for babies, while they are in the hospital. I don't think you should have a choice of brands though. If you are fussy about which one you want then you should have to bring it yourself.

I have always bf so know nothing about formula but I don't understand how they can not provide it. What if a mum hasn't brought any with her? Are they going to let the baby go hungry?

Good idea to have it available subsidised tho.
Tbh if someone has decided to ff they have decided they will have to shoulder the cost anyway and the nhs is strapped :flower:

I personally think that as a mother can make baby milk, which is free, why should the NHS have to pay, just because the mother decides she doesnt want to use this free milk?

I wouldnt say that applies to people who try at BFing, but struggle. But if you know you are going to FF from the start, why shouldnt you?

I personally think that as a mother can make baby milk, which is free, why should the NHS have to pay, just because the mother decides she doesnt want to use this free milk?

I wouldnt say that applies to people who try at BFing, but struggle. But if you know you are going to FF from the start, why shouldnt you?

I agree

I don't think they should provide it. If a mother has decided to FF from birth, she should've already decided what milk to get and has probably already got it. The NHS is stretched as it is, so I don't think they should supply something that the mother already has sitting at home.

I think it's a different situation when the mother tries to BF but can't, in this case I think they should have formula available, but charge for it.

As someone else said, other patients don't have to bring their own food so why should babies. I think that hospitals should provide it for babies, while they are in the hospital. I don't think you should have a choice of brands though. If you are fussy about which one you want then you should have to bring it yourself.

I have always bf so know nothing about formula but I don't understand how they can not provide it. What if a mum hasn't brought any with her? Are they going to let the baby go hungry?

But the babies food doesnt really need bringing in, as the mother makes it for nowt :)

My mw said that they always have some formula somewhere and wouldnt let LO starve if you didnt take any.

If someone has decided to ff from the start i think the hospital should not provide it but have good facilities and instruction on preparing it properly. If they provide it it is often means staff think theu should then give it out willy nilly when it wouldnt usially be needed if bfing. Its very expensive.

I had a c-section so could not just walk in to the kitchen area and make up a bottle! I would rather the midwife provide me with a pre made bottle rather then taking up more of her time by having to make the bottles themselves

WSS

Yeah I get that point too. I guess it would be like me looking at the hospital Menu and saying 'No Thanks, but I would like Steak and a glass of Champage though' :haha: I'm sure they wouldnt provide it when there was other, adequate food available, for less the cost!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->