Do you think that hospitals should provide formula milk?

Ok enough bagging of formula now. Why do these threads always end with people going on about HOW much better BF is and that FF is NO where near as good.

Is it REALLY necessary...again?

Lines like, 'well all it does is keep a baby alive'. I mean, come on! Be a bit more considerate. Many of us didnt choose to FF and had alot of emotional battles that went along with that. :( Just because you have been successful at it, have a bit of respect and understanding for those that didnt.

I dont think she was saying 'its just as good as breastmilk', just that it provides a baby with all their nutritional needs. Its been carefully formulated to do so.

Thats what formula does though. Its like all food, it keeps you alive and helps children grow. I was just meaning it doesn't have all the random little benefits breastmilk has.
+ She did actually say that formula was JUST AS GOOD. It's nowhere near as good. And that doesn't mean I think it's rat poison. I think formula is a great 2nd choice/alternative when breastfeeding isn't available.

So, I've continued to think about this today, and attempting to see it from the other side..... and I'm wondering.

If a mother has chosen to BF, and when the baby is born, there are issues that prevent her from doing so. (baby not latching, jaundice, requiring special care, mother needing further medical treatment etc) Should the hospital be obliged to provide that baby with donor breast milk free of charge?

Because going by a lot of the comments in here, that baby is a patient, and should be fed the special dietery requirements that it needs, as per the mothers wishes.

If the hospital is going to supply formula free of charge to those that have CHOOSEN to FF and have not bought it in with them because they think they are entitled to it free on the system. Then why should a mother who has CHOOSEN to breastfeed but is unable to provide it herself not be given the same consideration?

I'm sure they would if they had enough donor milk to go round. Unfortunately, the UKAMB has VERY strict guidelines for donor mothers and they don't make it easy for us to actually donate. I looked into it but Amelie was too old for me to start donating :wacko: I'd rather Amelie had donated breastmilk though.

:flower:
My LO "had" to have formula because i had GD and LO was born with dangerously low blood sugars. BM wouldn't have brought his levels up quick enough, so should i have to pay for something that ultimately saved his life?. Just another angle on the debate!

Thats the same with my LO. Im diabetic and LO was born with low blood sugars, and mine had dropped far too low as well. She was given fomula to bring her bloods up, she had to have blood tests every 4 hours.

I think that the parents should provide the milk. Its expensive.

There obviously are some exceptions like preemie babies, my girls were given Nutri-Prem2 and thats only available through your GP.

Im sorry but you cant say ff is not nutritional its been carefully put together to be just as nutitional...

almost...

nowhere near imo, and yes ive FF and BF.

i dunno...with the technology and science that goes into making formula its not as far away from BM as people thing. infact there are things in formula that there isnt enough of it breast milk! (like vitamin d for example)

and ive done both BF and FF too. so im not bothered either way on the whole BF vs FF debate.

It's nowhere near the same despite what the formula companies would have us believe, have a quick look at https://www.bellybelly.com.au/forums/whatsinbreastmilk.pdf if you want to be amazed. :)

it might not be exactly the same, or "nowhere near the same" but its not an evil posion that people are feeding their children...i mean if someone cant breastfeed or have money to get donor breastmilk what would you rather they give them? water? fruit juice? i think not.

formula has a reason, it serves a purpose it is made with an intent to provide nutrition and calories and everything a baby needs to survive AND thrive.

im very pro breastfeeding, and ive seen a few people on here who have pissed me off with comments such as "i didnt breastfeed because i still want to have my own life" and so forth and that just makes me speechless with anger!

but i do feel that people in this thread are making formula out to be an evil poison people are feeding their child.

breastmilk is the TOP choice, but if not then formula is the perfect second option!

Nowhere did I say formula was an evil poison, it's great for those who need it and has saved the lives of many babies. I agree with what you've said above, my previous post was simply responding to the parts I've put in bold, because misinformation about formula being almost the same as breastmilk isn't helpful to anyone.

Really there is only two choices. Breast milk and formula so its going to be a great second choice.
I formula fed and I did what was BEST for me and my children, If I wouldnt be happy they wouldnt either

I think if you plan to FF then you should provide it...
It different if perhaps the mum can't BF or the baby doesn't take to the formula the mum has - in these cases I think formula should be supplied.
Nowadays though most people FF and for formula to be supplied would be quite costly.
Same with nappies never understood why they were supplied... x

I went to antenatal class last night and they said if you intend to formula feed then you need to bring formula (they will provide bottles) but if you intend to breastfeed then don't bring any formula for 'just in case' because 99% of women can breastfeed and if there is a problem that prevents you from bf'ing then they have an emergency supply of formula in a locked cupboard so babies don't go without.

I can see both points of view where on one hand all patients get food in hospital so why shouldn't babies but then I also see that breastfeeding should be encouraged and it's free so I'm not sure which one is entirely 'right'.

So, I've continued to think about this today, and attempting to see it from the other side..... and I'm wondering.

If a mother has chosen to BF, and when the baby is born, there are issues that prevent her from doing so. (baby not latching, jaundice, requiring special care, mother needing further medical treatment etc) Should the hospital be obliged to provide that baby with donor breast milk free of charge?

Because going by a lot of the comments in here, that baby is a patient, and should be fed the special dietery requirements that it needs, as per the mothers wishes.

If the hospital is going to supply formula free of charge to those that have CHOOSEN to FF and have not bought it in with them because they think they are entitled to it free on the system. Then why should a mother who has CHOOSEN to breastfeed but is unable to provide it herself not be given the same consideration?

I'm sure they would if they had enough donor milk to go round. Unfortunately, the UKAMB has VERY strict guidelines for donor mothers and they don't make it easy for us to actually donate. I looked into it but Amelie was too old for me to start donating :wacko: I'd rather Amelie had donated breastmilk though.

Thats sad that they don't make is easy for people to donate. Here they pay you and provide the breatpump for you so thats why they can give donated milk to babies on the post-natal ward

so anyway....just thought i'd come back to add i was reading an article about price cuts and NHS etc and most of there money goes on pain relief..... 60% of women apparently have the epidural which is a huge finacial burden on the NHS ....maybe women should pay for pain relief (even gas and air) therefore reducing a HUGE amount of money the NHS spend and let the little babies have a drink on the house!

so anyway....just thought i'd come back to add i was reading an article about price cuts and NHS etc and most of there money goes on pain relief..... 60% of women apparently have the epidural which is a huge finacial burden on the NHS ....maybe women should pay for pain relief (even gas and air) therefore reducing a HUGE amount of money the NHS spend and let the little babies have a drink on the house!

i didnt have an epidural so can my baby get free formula :haha: only joking i did take my own formula just in case i couldnt breastfeed lol

People keep saying - "It would happen" "Imagine the chaos" "Theres no room to sterilise everything."

But it IS happening, in LOTS (not all) of hospitals. Formula is provided for emergencies. If you're not BFing, you take your own and either take glass premade bottles, or there is a room full of sterilising equipment for you to use. Somebody on here once told of how women were made to walk to a room at the end of the hall to make up bottles - even after a c-section.
Its happening.

I would have paid for donor milk if I had the option (it's about $3-4/oz here) but it was not available to us as it was on reserve for the preemie/sick babies. So I purchased a pump and supplemented with formula instead.

Yes, I think if it's not a particular health concern ie. preemie, then women should have to pay for the donor milk. I wish that purchasing it for choice in hospital was an available option.

Theres tons of things we could do to save hospitals money! Why is formula one that is first in line?!
If your going to remove a babies meal, then remove everyone elses too as its essentially the same thing!

okay, well then they shouldn't supply nappies then either. After all, no one goes into hospital not intending on putting their baby in nappies. They should supply them themselves. Why should it be up to the hospital to do that?

It's the same principle,. knowing what your baby will need in those first days, based on what you've decided and making sure you as the mother/father provide that.

Our hospial doesnt. I dont think many (if any) provide nappies here. You may get one, but I never have. :flower:

My hospital supplied the diapers, they even sent me home with a bag of them. I brought my own, and offered to use my own and they told me to save them for when I got home.

My hospital supplied the diapers, they even sent me home with a bag of them. I brought my own, and offered to use my own and they told me to save them for when I got home.

like i said before it depends on the country. the UK dont. north America does.

Yeh, well in the US you can leave hospital with a $5000 bill after having a baby, so the least they could do is throw in a few nappies.

What about this;

If you had a friend, who had NO money at all. NONE. And everyday they were getting themselves into more and more debt - so much so that they couldnt afford anything more than the basics.
If you were to visit their house for a BBQ - would you go, letting them buy all the food for dozens of people, knowing that they would feed you, and eat their food, despite knowing it was knocking them into further financial difficulty?
Or
Would you take your own food?

and by "food", I mean "formula" not hospital food :haha:

Yeh, well in the US you can leave hospital with a $5000 bill after having a baby, so the least they could do is throw in a few nappies.

It is free to give birth in Canada though. I don't know a lot about it, but Canada seems more similar to the NHS then the US does.

People keep saying - "It would happen" "Imagine the chaos" "Theres no room to sterilise everything."

But it IS happening, in LOTS (not all) of hospitals. Formula is provided for emergencies. If you're not BFing, you take your own and either take glass premade bottles, or there is a room full of sterilising equipment for you to use. Somebody on here once told of how women were made to walk to a room at the end of the hall to make up bottles - even after a c-section.
Its happening.

Yep, that was me and your right it is happening. There was no mad chaos or anything around the room, when I walked past there were about 5 women in there washing and sterilising their baby's things, seemed to work well apart from as I said there were some women walking down there, standing for long periods of time just after a section and in agony, which isnt their best interest IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->