Do you think that hospitals should provide formula milk?

I dunno really, I'm kinda split. I think if the mother had to provide then it's asking a lot for somebody who's just been through childbirth, particularly if they had a bad labour. Let's face it, who wants to seriously get up, boil a kettle, let it cool, pour it then spend time counting out scoops just after giving birth. I know you could use cartons but they'd be a bit of a waste would they not? You get eight ounces out of a carton and I don't think you can keep them so would you not be wasting at least four onces every feed? Could be wrong tho, I don't really use them.

On the other hand, I know the hospitals are already stretched budget wise so that has to be taken into consideration.

If you did have to take formula in it wouldn't have really bothered me, I would have had to get on with it I guess!

I think they should provide it, my hospital did. I was planning to FF from the start, but it's lucky I did because I ended up not producing any milk until two weeks after LO was born.

I understand it's an expense for the NHS, but so are normal meals that are given to patients - and look at how much of that doesn't get eaten and goes to waste.

For ladies that hope to breastfeed but have difficulties then YES.

For ladies who choose to formula feed from the start then NO.

They should provide it. Babies are patients the same as the mums and they'd be an outcry if mums or any other patients had to provide their own food!

I agree with this ^^ They provide patients with food, I guess they should provide baby with milk.

Totally get that Mums make milk for free (I breastfeed BTW), but don't see how they could not provide formula for babies. You could apply the same principal to ladies in labour "Sorry,well you knew you were having a baby, you should have packed a lunch and bought in milk for your baby" :shrug:

I personally think that as a mother can make baby milk, which is free, why should the NHS have to pay, just because the mother decides sheo doesnt want to use this free milk?

I wouldnt say that applies to people who try at BFing, but struggle. But if you know you are going to FF from the start, why shouldnt you?

did i hear someone say this wasnt a BF FF debate
Comments like that will def kick one off!!!! however i would have no prob with taking your own as you'd stock up at home, however.... like somone said in cases like mine where baby is in neo natal and i cannot move i think that would be a struggle... im not sure they could pump me unconscious! is it actually legal. :shrug:

I think they should provide it, my hospital did. I was planning to FF from the start, but it's lucky I did because I ended up not producing any milk until two weeks after LO was born.

I understand it's an expense for the NHS, but so are normal meals that are given to patients - and look at how much of that doesn't get eaten and goes to waste.

Its nowhere near as expensive, per person.

I find it quite funny that you post a thread and claim you are not trying to start a BF v FF debate then post this (quote below) and totally turn it into one!! :wacko:

I personally think that as a mother can make baby milk, which is free, why should the NHS have to pay, just because the mother decides she doesnt want to use this free milk?

I wouldnt say that applies to people who try at BFing, but struggle. But if you know you are going to FF from the start, why shouldnt you?

And for any one saying 'they should feed the baby because it's a patient and they feed the mothers'.. I didn't get fed. I had an emergency c section so stayed in for 3 days in all, I'm a vegetarian, they didn't have any vegetarian food. They once offered me a jacket potato and tuna.. they said, and I quote 'I know you're vegetarian, but I could just pick the fish off it'.. I declined.

BUT, they DID have formula. Makes sense :wacko:

I'd say it should be free. If you have problems BFing and for whatever reason (choice, advice, ect) you need to give fomula and you don't have any your gonna need to feed baby something. If you only give mummy's that want to BF free formula you are going to label those women who have chosen to FF and those who have "failed" to BF. When I was having problems feeding my LO and was readmitted to hosptial I would have hated being the only one in the bay using the free glass bottles, when the FF by choice mummy's where using thier own bottles and the BFing mummy's where happily putting thier babies to thier breast.

I find it quite funny that you post a thread and claim you are not trying to start a BF v FF debate then post this (quote below) and totally turn it into one!! :wacko:

I personally think that as a mother can make baby milk, which is free, why should the NHS have to pay, just because the mother decides she doesnt want to use this free milk?

Yes, I just realised how it reads. :dohh: I couldnt really think of any other to put it. I didnt say we wernt allowed to mention BFing :haha:

They should provide it. Babies are patients the same as the mums and they'd be an outcry if mums or any other patients had to provide their own food!

I agree with this ^^ They provide patients with food, I guess they should provide baby with milk.

Totally get that Mums make milk for free (I breastfeed BTW), but don't see how they could not provide formula for babies. You could apply the same principal to ladies in labour "Sorry,well you knew you were having a baby, you should have packed a lunch and bought in milk for your baby" :shrug:

What i was dished up wasnt food-it was gruel. I asked for the lasagne and was told it was shephards pie:shrug:

Just a quickie-the last hospital i worked at, the budget for three meals a day per patient was under £1. Iluminous peas and carrots galore!

Secondly, most of their formula milk was obtained free-marketing!

If they provided it at a price then i dont see why there would be a issue. Its not relevant that they provide food for other patients because for other patients there isnt a free alternative like there is with BF

I work and pay my taxes, and what do you get in return? Cameron taking £545 baby element off us, I'm pretty sure my baby deserves a few bottles of formula off the government!!!

I also think it should be provided on the basis that babies are patients who require feeding while within the hospital just like any other child, adult, or elderly patient. It should be there should the baby require it.

There would be outrage if any toher patient had to provide their own food. Can you imagine if an elderly patient had to rely on relatives to bring food in - I know the situation is a bit different but it strikes some parallels.

edit - I work in my local hospital - there is a HELL of a lot of waste in the catering department - I mean a serious amount - that money could be better spent elsewhere.

And for any one saying 'they should feed the baby because it's a patient and they feed the mothers'.. I didn't get fed. I had an emergency c section so stayed in for 3 days in all, I'm a vegetarian, they didn't have any vegetarian food. They once offered me a jacket potato and tuna.. they said, and I quote 'I know you're vegetarian, but I could just pick the fish off it'.. I declined.

I hope you complained! I'm pretty sure that's not common.

I personally think that as a mother can make baby milk, which is free, why should the NHS have to pay, just because the mother decides sheo doesnt want to use this free milk?

did i hear someone say this wasnt a BF FF debate
Comments like that will def kick one off!!!! however i would have no prob with taking your own as you'd stock up at home, however.... like somone said in cases like mine where baby is in neo natal and i cannot move i think that would be a struggle... im not sure they could pump me unconscious! is it actually legal. :shrug:

Bit off topic but there was actually a woman who had this done! She was in a Coma and her husband knew she wanted to Breastfeed, so thats what he and the Nurses did :thumbup:

I work and pay my taxes, and what do you get in return? Cameron taking £545 baby element off us, I'm pretty sure my baby deserves a few bottles of formula off the government!!!

I'm sure hiring all those nurses and midwives through a 40 week pregnancy and a delivery costs more than £545.. Free health care is more important in my eyes.

If I was paying for it all (like they do in the states), then yeah I'd probably want something chucked in for free if I wasn't going to BF.

I hope you complained! I'm pretty sure that's not common.

I didn't complain. The nurses and midwives were lovely to me. I had a traumatic birth that ended badly. Food seemed like the last thing on my mind. Plus there was a mcdonalds just over the road :haha:

What i was dished up wasnt food-it was gruel. I asked for the lasagne and was told it was shephards pie:shrug:

Just a quickie-the last hospital i worked at, the budget for three meals a day per patient was under £1. Iluminous peas and carrots galore!

Secondly, most of their formula milk was obtained free-marketing!

:haha: I didn't say enjoyable food! :sick:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->