Do you think that hospitals should provide formula milk?

As soon as a baby is born in a hospital it becomes a patient like everyone else in there. They all get fed, so why cant a baby?:shrug: There are many reasons that a baby may need formula... even if a mother has decided beforehand to ff then I dont see an issue.... the NHS isnt free we have all paid towards it! :flower:

As soon as a baby is born in a hospital it becomes a patient like everyone else in there. They all get fed, so why cant a baby?:shrug: There are many reasons that a baby may need formula... even if a mother has decided beforehand to ff then I dont see an issue.... the NHS isnt free we have all paid towards it! :flower:

Exactly this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbup: x

They should provide it. Babies are patients the same as the mums and they'd be an outcry if mums or any other patients had to provide their own food!

I agree with this ^^ They provide patients with food, I guess they should provide baby with milk.

Totally get that Mums make milk for free (I breastfeed BTW), but don't see how they could not provide formula for babies. You could apply the same principal to ladies in labour "Sorry,well you knew you were having a baby, you should have packed a lunch and bought in milk for your baby" :shrug:

What i was dished up wasnt food-it was gruel. I asked for the lasagne and was told it was shephards pie:shrug:

Just a quickie-the last hospital i worked at, the budget for three meals a day per patient was under £1. Iluminous peas and carrots galore!

Secondly, most of their formula milk was obtained free-marketing!

:haha: I didn't say enjoyable food! :sick:

Woah! :shock:

I loved our hospital food :blush: 3 courses, big portions, bloody lovely and best of all...no washing up , I didnt want to go home :haha:

Once again the same debate coming up again and again, even though it wasn't meant to be a bf v ff debate. I think that milk should be provided free of charge for the same reasons given above, babies are patients as are other people in the hospital who are getting meals delivered to them.

To say though that people who decide to FF from the off should have to bring their own but mums who don't successfully BF can get it free is, to me, ridiculous. Whatever happened to freedom of choice...................

Mine was lora luckily as i was in twice and the second time more than a week it was actually v v nice and the puds were scrummy!!! x

They should provide it. Babies are patients the same as the mums and they'd be an outcry if mums or any other patients had to provide their own food!

I agree with this ^^ They provide patients with food, I guess they should provide baby with milk.

Totally get that Mums make milk for free (I breastfeed BTW), but don't see how they could not provide formula for babies. You could apply the same principal to ladies in labour "Sorry,well you knew you were having a baby, you should have packed a lunch and bought in milk for your baby" :shrug:

What i was dished up wasnt food-it was gruel. I asked for the lasagne and was told it was shephards pie:shrug:

Just a quickie-the last hospital i worked at, the budget for three meals a day per patient was under £1. Iluminous peas and carrots galore!

Secondly, most of their formula milk was obtained free-marketing!

:haha: I didn't say enjoyable food! :sick:

Woah! :shock:

I think that is why it all looks the same!

I got into serious trouble a few times for secretly handing out more food to some patients. I didnt see how a 17st rugby player could manage on the same one scoop of mash potato that an old biddy was expected to eat:dohh:

It is my bugbare. If they spent more money on good nutrition they would spend less money on longer hospital stays, secondary infections, expensive dressings as wounds wont heal, less on drugs to treat infections, less on drugs in general, etc, etc. I could go on so i'l shut up now!

Once again the same debate coming up again and again, even though it wasn't meant to be a bf v ff debate. I think that milk should be provided free of charge for the same reasons given above, babies are patients as are other people in the hospital who are getting meals delivered to them.

To say though that people who decide to FF from the off should have to bring their own but mums who don't successfully BF can get it free is, to me, ridiculous. Whatever happened to freedom of choice...................

:thumbup: Agreed!!!

I cant fault the food in my hospital and i ate 6 days of it. What i got served on the ward was the same food OH was getting in the cantein.

Its the same as if your baby gets admited to hospital. BF monthers get fed for free and FF mothers only get breakfast.

The food in our hosp was fantastic though, I have to say!!

I was in hospital for 5 days and refused to eat the awful food, so hubby would bring sandwiches in for me.

The food in our hosp was fantastic though, I have to say!!

My DP is working at the hospital this week, so having his lunch in the Canteen (same food as what patients get) I was saying to my Mum I feel a bit jealous lol, cos it really is that nice, and she said workmen actually go to the canteen if they are working nearby, and its true :haha:

Totally agree :thumbup:

My hospital provided it. If they hadn't I would have been in a complete state, in the middle of the night, my baby screaming his little heart out, my nipples (both) sore, bleeding and me in tears myself. I asked for a bit of formula and they were very happy to get me some. They could see what a state we were both in. I did battle on with the BFing for another 10 days but that one night before the lansinoh kicked in and helped my nipples, it was a godsend for me and I'm so happy they had it there. xx

I agree it should be provided, whether you chose to FF from the start or not. The baby is a patient - if the hospital provides food for their patients, then why should a baby be any different?

you should be able to purchase it from the hospital, along with any mother/baby essentials. I dont think it should be free.

I loved hospital food... maybe it was the fact that i didnt have to make it myself. i can tell you the luton and dunstable hospital do a mean veggie flan.

My mum said that in her day they provided nappies, cotton wool, lotions and potions to clean baby up AND even a wee hat and mitts...Also if im not mistaken a blanket too!

Ah the good old days :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->