Doc said blood test can tell gender now at 10 weeks?!

SteffieLee

Mommy of 3
Reaction score
Hey all. My doc is wanting me to do a screening blood test which tests for downs among other defects, as well as tells you the baby's gender?! It's called panorama blood test.
Anyone done this?

It can be done as early as 8 weeks an takes approximately 2 weeks for the results to come back. Most insurances in the US do not cover the cost of the test unless you have a genetic problem or reason to think your child could so before you have he test done, make sure you call and see if your insurance will lay for it.
My cousin had it done and she knew the gender at 9weeks. Since it was a chromosome test it was 100% accurate which is so crazy! Don't even have to wait for an u/s these days!

That's insane! Am I the only one that actually prefers an exciting gender ultrasound as opposed to finding out via a phone call? Lol. Finding out early would be nice and all but I always loved the suspense of watching the baby on the screen and waiting for the ultrasound tech to show the goods, lol.

Yes, I had my blood drawn at my 12 week appointment for panorama and we knew the gender at 13.5 weeks.

I haven't heard of this. Can it be done in uk? I think I'd like to be in a situation of with the person telling me, seeing it and being with OH tho so probably not for me even if was available

I haven't heard of this. Can it be done in uk? I think I'd like to be in a situation of with the person telling me, seeing it and being with OH tho so probably not for me even if was available

just looked it up and apparently its only done at the harley medical in london and costs £600.

just looked it up and apparently its only done at the harley medical in london and costs £600.

Wow 600 pounds is a lot of money. I think il wait until 16 weeks and book a private scan, that way you can see baby at the same time :)

I have been told about it. I didn't think doctors wanted people to know. I really disagree with it from an ethical standpoint. Abortion rates are going to go through the roof! Kind of sad really :(

Oh this would be so awesome I wonder if it would work with twins? But anyways in Korea your not allowed to know the sex until you enter the 7 month of pregnancy. Everyone finds out earlier but they would never do it through a blood test. Its more like the tech telling you oh it looks like you will be seeing a lot of pink or this baby looks a lot like its dad.

Oh this would be so awesome I wonder if it would work with twins? But anyways in Korea your not allowed to know the sex until you enter the 7 month of pregnancy. Everyone finds out earlier but they would never do it through a blood test. Its more like the tech telling you oh it looks like you will be seeing a lot of pink or this baby looks a lot like its dad.

This test doesn't tell you the gender if having twins I'm afraid to say X

I had mine at 12+2. It's called Verifi here and they only do it for high risk pregnancies. High risk being 35 or older at time of delivery, or previous genetic problems in the family or previous pregnancies. Verifi can be done as early as 10 weeks. They cannot tell gender for twins, though they can tell you whether or not they've detected a Y chromosome, which would mean at least one is a boy, if no Y, then you've got 2 girls. My results were negative, meaning everything looked great and I am having my 3rd boy. I loved finding out as soon as possible and preferred the phone call over the scan personally.
I was told this test is 99% accurate and it is also covered by my insurance because I am high risk. Just an FYI, Verifi is only offered to high risk women and will likely one day be the standard type of First Tri screening in future. These tests are also marketed under Harmony, Panorama, MaterniT21. They are said to reduce the risk of miscarriage due to their much more accurate testing compared to the NT scan and blood test. Reducing the false positive rate will reduce the need for CVS or Amnio, therefore reducing the miscarriage risks. The abortion issue due to gender have been questioned, but I really hope that is not going to be an issue at all. Would be a shame to not get to use this brilliant technology for what it's meant for. I can only assume that if that should happen they will no longer tell you the gender, just do the chromosome testing.

Yes just an fyi ladies that this is not a test to find out the gender. This is a test to check for trisomy 13, 18, 21 and turners syndrome. Definitely nothing unethical about it as it is saving women from having to do amnios which come with a risk of miscarriage. My Dr said he hasn't had one patient do an amnio in the past 16 months thanks to this test! And yes, it can also tell you gender if you ask for it. For me the Dr's were wrong with my first and for 2 months I thought I was having a boy and then at 20 weeks they told me it was a girl. No biggie, but I'd rather have better accuracy so I can start planning! But more importantly I'd like yo know if there are issues so I can plan for that if I need to!

I'm still up in the air about doing the test. I'd like to be prepared if positive, but I don't want to stress during the rest of my pregnancy if it is indeed positive, dh said he thinks its a good idea. So i looked up the percentages and one doctor said there's a 99.75% chance of NOT having a baby with downs. So I feel like a .25 is pretty small percentage.

I'm still up in the air about doing the test. I'd like to be prepared if positive, but I don't want to stress during the rest of my pregnancy if it is indeed positive, dh said he thinks its a good idea. So i looked up the percentages and one doctor said there's a 99.75% chance of NOT having a baby with downs. So I feel like a .25 is pretty small percentage.

It's definitely a personal choice! For me I will be almost 40 when baby is born, so I will probably stress regardless. Chances are it will be fine, and if I know that I will be able to relax more in pregnancy. It can be a tough decision!!

I'll be 35 in a couple weeks. And I guess by law the doctors have to offer the test. I did set an appointment, I think I'll keep it and go. Just nerve wrecking.

I had this test at 11 weeks because I was 36 when we finally became pregnant and most private insurance companies in the US cover a version of this test in the US if you are over 35. My insurance covered the Panorama version and we got the results in 10 business days right before Christmas...I was impressed! It was nice to make my 12 week announcement knowing that the chances the pregnancy was healthy were great and a bonus was announcing the gender with 100% accuracy :thumbup:

The year prior my older sister wasn't even offered the test as insurance companies were still pushing amnio and CVS. She got CVS and it caused her to lose enough amniotic fluid she was on bedrest for some time :nope: I felt very fortunate to have been able to know the baby didn't have one of the syndromes that they check for in scans going on soft markers. So many of my friends and family walked around gut sick for weeks because of nuchal scan results and various soft marker test that they tested positive for and their baby ended up being fine.

I think this will become a standard test one day and also will be available in various places in the world. There are companies in the UK currently working to work with Sequenome (creator of Maternity21) so they can offer this test on a larger scale for a more affordable price. It actually cost significantly less than amnio or cvs so I would imagine all health care systems in various countries would go this direction eventually:shrug:

Yes just an fyi ladies that this is not a test to find out the gender. This is a test to check for trisomy 13, 18, 21 and turners syndrome. Definitely nothing unethical about it as it is saving women from having to do amnios which come with a risk of miscarriage. My Dr said he hasn't had one patient do an amnio in the past 16 months thanks to this test! And yes, it can also tell you gender if you ask for it. For me the Dr's were wrong with my first and for 2 months I thought I was having a boy and then at 20 weeks they told me it was a girl. No biggie, but I'd rather have better accuracy so I can start planning! But more importantly I'd like yo know if there are issues so I can plan for that if I need to!

I know the test is designed to test for a lot of different chromosomal abnormalities I just don't agree in also letting people know the sex as well with it. The main concern is some people will want the test with the main concern to find out the gender and that is a bit worrying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->