Doctor's refusing to help me.

xKaa

Reaction score
I had sex on the 7th of December, the condom decided to break so I took the MAP a few hours (under 12) after.

My period didn't come on the 20th, took a test: negative. A test agai nthe week after: negative.

Went down the GP and she told me I have to wait and do another test cause the MAP can cause this.

So, I did. Took another test last week (and if I AM pregnant I'd be around 8 weeks last week) and it was negative again. So I went down the GP and asked/begged even for a blood test. I dont care if Im pregnant or not, I just want to know whats up with me! Told her I feel ill and throwing up too. So I got a blood test the day after at the hospital.

They told me they would ring up if the results were bad, they rung me up two days later (!!) to tell me i needed an URGENT appointment.

I went down the GP the next day in the morning and she just told me "The lab refuses to test your blood because you are NOT pregnant according to the tests and you appear fine" I am sooo angry..Just because I appear fine does NOT mean I am indeed fine! She even told me that "Sometimes your body does not fancy a period and the vomiting is simple anxiety" oh p off..:growlmad:

Right now, I feel terrible going to work and whatnot, I have to throw up nearly every day and I felt a small lump above my belly button. But the GP refuses to help me cause you know "I APPEAR FINE"

Any thoughts, am I overreacting or is this REALLY out off order? I mean, I didnt know the lab can refuse to test blood cause you "appear fine"?

i don't see how a lab can refuse to test your bloods because you appear fine and aren't pregnant according to tests. they won't know this information unless they check your medical records which they don't need to do because the information for bloods to be tested is on the original form that get sent with the blood.

I will demand to see another doctor as something is not right with this.

a lab can refuse to do tests but only on certain grounds but also they have to have a legitimate reason as to why. just because 'clinically' you seem fine does not mean internally you are and this is not a legitimate reason.

See another doctor honey. This one sounds useless.

I'm not sure what you expect the doctor to do

You are not pregnant so what do you want a test for

To be honest, I had no idea a lab could even question a lab order if the doctor ordered it? :shrug:

Perhaps the practice has a sort of internal checking system for tests that have been ordered, where one doctor has to agree the ones that have been ordered... or something similar anyway? Was it a junior doctor who may need approval from a supervisor? It's in nobody's interests to send off loads of unnecessary tests so I can see why they might do something like that. It sounds like maybe your doctor agreed to the blood test to calm you down but with no medical need. Another doctor may well think that is unnecessary and refuse it. Hard as it is to accept when you want a test, your test may delay results on an important test for somebody else.

That is just HORRIFYING. How on earth can either the doc or lab act this way towards you at all?????!

Is this how NHS works??? That they can just tell you you're not worthy of a test because of the way you look to them??????

Where I'm at not only would I have had the blood test upon request as soon as my period was late but if I still didn't have it several weeks later I'd have requested and had a pelvic ultrasound promptly as well.

How can they do this to someone???

Can you switch doctors/clinics by chance?????

How on earth do you or anyone know whether she's pregnant or not??

I was going by the information given? Generally in the uk the doctors trust home pregnancy tests. They don't redo tests to confirm pregnancy neither do they order blood tests for someone who has had negative home pregnancy tests after a few days.

I was going by the information given? Generally in the uk the doctors trust home pregnancy tests. They don't redo tests to confirm pregnancy neither do they order blood tests for someone who has had negative home pregnancy tests after a few days.

Home tests are frequently inaccurate though, hence the entire forum dedicated to them here.

Despite being pregnant and carrying to term twice I never once got a positive home test, it took bloodwork to confirm both. And the same has happened to many women here, you read it all the time how they end up weeks or even months late still testing negative at home only to finally get their pregnancies confirmed via bloods or ultrasound. HPT's are not always accurate.

Not to mention, MAP does not prevent conception or implantation.

The OP absolutely could be pregnant.

Not that that would matter to me personally either way, but bottom line is if I went in and requested a simple blood test you bet my doctor would give me one to ease my mind, and there's no way the lab could ignore the order to run it. That way I could either begin proper prenatal care and monitoring, or move on with using birth control again. For all anyone knows the MAP caused her to develop a cyst that needs treatment.....that she's not going to get until it becomes problematic enough to cause her real trouble.

All because she wasn't determined to be worthy enough to receive a simply blood draw........

I just cannot imagine living somewhere where a doctor or a lab could decline me receiving a simple test like that...........it absolutely blows my mind and I am terrified of the United States health care system ever coming to that :(

xKaa have you tested since?

My doctors surgery won't even take my bloods in suspect or pregnancy or even pregnant

Home tests are frequently inaccurate though, hence the entire forum dedicated to them here.

Despite being pregnant and carrying to term twice I never once got a positive home test, it took bloodwork to confirm both. And the same has happened to many women here, you read it all the time how they end up weeks or even months late still testing negative at home only to finally get their pregnancies confirmed via bloods or ultrasound. HPT's are not always accurate.

Not that that would matter to me personally either way, but bottom line is if I went in and requested a simple blood test you bet my doctor would give me one to ease my mind, and there's no way the lab could ignore the order to run it. That way I could either begin proper prenatal care and monitoring, or move on with using birth control again. For all anyone knows the MAP caused her to develop a cyst that needs treatment.....that she's not going to get until it becomes problematic enough to cause her real trouble.

All because she wasn't determined to be worthy enough to receive a simply blood draw........

I just cannot imagine living somewhere where a doctor or a lab could decline me receiving a simple test like that...........it absolutely blows my mind and I am terrified of the United States health care system ever coming to that :(

You know our NHS Is actually bloody fantastic, but that's another thread altogether. No need to slate our healthcare over a blood test.

And thank you for the wonderful insight into home pregnancy tests.

You know our NHS Is actually bloody fantastic, but that's another thread altogether. No need to slate our healthcare over a blood test.

And thank you for the wonderful insight into home pregnancy tests.

No, actually I don't know that.

But if that's how it is you bet I would be concerned.

How do they save women who end up with ectopics? To go that long without conformation to a thriving fetus seems so dangerous to a womans health me :(

That's how some doctors are in my state.they trust home pregnancy tests so they rarely ask for blood test. they won't see you until you are 8 weeks pregnant anyhow (by your own calculation) from what I understand, around here, lab are separate from doctors...just like pharmacy (I on the other hand had prescription refused before..but mainly because of insurance wanted us to try something else)

deafgal - I have definitely heard of a first prenatal visit for a healthy woman being scheduled at 8 weeks as long as she's fine with that, but have never once heard of a women with concerns involving her reproductive health being *denied* care completely.

That's what shocks me.

I think you've said before but what state are you in?

Nope but i have heard of blood work just for pregnancy test being denied by doctors themselves (not sure about labs or even insurance refusing to cover labs). If the doctor really wanted to, she could do vaginal ultrasounds.

Nope but i have heard of blood work just for pregnancy test being denied by doctors themselves (not sure about labs or even insurance refusing to cover labs). If the doctor really wanted to, she could do vaginal ultrasounds.

I'm sorry, but I just don't buy that. And maybe that's where knowing you really can (and sometimes *need* to) advocate for yourself comes in. If I walk into a clinic and say I need a quant blood test to confirm pregnancy I guarantee I could get it just about anywhere. If your regular doc for some very odd and strange reason wouldn't order it, federally funded "free" clinics most definitely would. A woman, in this country, is ENTITLED to services like that. Save for if you were a legitimate psych patient....and really male....I cannot see a woman ever being denied.

Bloodwork is incredibly standard and while private insurance can refuse to pay for it (although again, I've never once heard of that either), I can't believe any doctor would refuse to order it. If they did, and something was wrong, they'd have to assume full responsibility for that.

The risk in doing so would be staggering for such a very inexpensive test.

Think about it like this - if OP is indeed pregnant, and is left wondering whether she is or not with no resolve, and goes on another month, or two, or who knows how much longer without prenatal vitamins because her doctor told her she is not pregnant because a very inaccurate home pee test told her she wasn't - who's going to be responsible if a baby she is carrying ends up born with a neural tube defect?? If she goes on birth control because her doctor simply glanced at her and said she wasn't pregnant without confirmation - who's going to be responsible if a baby she is carrying ends up with birth defects?

Denying that early confirmation could be denying an unborn child a chance at a normal/healthy life kwim?

Again - speaking directly to OP - if you think you may be pregnant because your body is telling you something is different or wrong, please listen to it. Go elsewhere to get your bloodwork so you can take other steps if pregnancy is either confirmed or not.

Those hpt's are not accurate for all women by a long shot. There is a reason why it says right on the box that you should follow up with your doc as they are not the end all be all.

Since this a GP *I am assuming this means general practice* , can you request to see someone who specialize women's health (like a gynecologist)

Since this a GP *I am assuming this means general practice* , can you request to see someone who specialize women's health (like a gynecologist)

If they won't grant the poor girl a simple blood test I'd be willing to bet they won't let her see a gyn.....although I do hope I'm wrong there :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->