Does anyone else get really annoyed with some peoples attitude of the rich should pay

I'd say 0-£25k - low earner. £25k-£60k - Middle earner & above £60k as a high earner xx

Also where would this extra money that is needed come from if not from taxing the highest earners that extra percentage, surely no one thinks it'd be best for some people to go without food or heat in order to make it 'fair' and no one lose any of their luxuries?

Oh absolutely not. I'd never expect people to go without essentials. I don't really know what the ideal solution would be, all I know is that it's categorically unfair at the moment. It's going to really hit the UK hard in the long run I think because most of the people we know in a similar situation are all or have all considered taking their skills abroad. That could have a lot to do with the industry he works in though (kindof a smallish industry of people that work with & develop the software Ian does so once you're skilled you're constantly getting job offers from other companies and many of which are abroad).

I don't know logistically how it would work but part of me feels that those with an EXCESSICVE amount of wealth (We're not talking middle to high earners, we're talking CEOS of massive corporations who earn more than the prime minister etc) should be encouranged to plough some of their profits and wealth back into the governement or economy. If it was done right it could work well for both.

It doesn't need to be obligatory.

Could you imagine Tescos annoucing that they are funding the salaries of 150 nurses in the UK for the next year. What kind of positive publicity that would bring. The government could come up with all manner of ways to get these big corporations to give MORE back to the UK government and economy AND it being a positive publicity builder for the company as well. Win win.

There's quite a good sense of commraderie in teh UK at the moment. Everyone pulling together to stand up to things they don't agree with. If the governement were to announce that they would like to encourage companies to do these kind of things... and then name those that do... AND those that don't... like a name and shame. I'm sure the population would make a stand as such to try and help encourage other companies to do the same. Mild boycotts etc.

That might all be a load of crap but I was challenged to think of a solution and that's where my mind has gone. Not thought it all through fully though lol xx

Big companies already have to contribute, its quite a bit too. i worked in the voluntery sector and there is lots of money avaliable if you know where to find it.

Tesco conrtibute a lot more than 150 nurses saleries.

Lloyds TSB are a major contributor to the olympics.

but yeah i understand what your saying.

The problem is things like the NHS are never ever going to work out! there is always going to be more coming out of it then into it even if you spikes incomes rates my 10% accross the board.

Cutting costs within would help, like all the middle management, but then your talking huge job losses.

So what do people consider a high earner?

Thats a really good question and one I find impossible too answer because again it is hard too put a single money figure of 'high' income as I think it depends on so much, if you are a single person living on say £50,000 then you would be in a very good position, but if you were a family of 5 on £50,000 then you certainly wouldn't have as much disposable income because of essentials, your mortgage payments would generally be alot higher because you would need a bigger house ......

...... it's just a tough question lol

KITTYVENTURA thanks for your post Hun it's reassuring to know there are others who feel the same xx oh works weekends too he works every Saturday but if he's oncall he can be out 24 hours on weekends(not that he usually is intact he gets more time at home being oncall cos during the week if he's out all night at work he gets ten hours paid stand down the next day)but it means he could be out every night of the week.he doesn't mind he does it for us and it looks good on him for his career opportunities.it just sucks so much is taken away in tax! =(

I'd say a low earner is on under 20k. Don't know where I'd put the middle or high bracket though!

Id say Low income is under 20k, Middle income 21k-50k Higher earner 50k-100k Bloody loaded earner 100k+ However as said by someone else 50k for a family of say 5 would not be loads it would be 10k per person per year

what about joint incomes? if there is one person earning £40,000, and a couple earning £40,000 the couple could be classed as low earners but the single person as a medium?

If my husband earnt £40k and i earnt £21 then we are medium earners but then is that not a high income?

Should we be taxed on out joint incomes or single?

Id say Low income is under 20k, Middle income 21k-50k Higher earner 50k-100k Bloody loaded earner 100k+ However as said by someone else 50k for a family of say 5 would not be loads it would be 10k per person per year

interesting right now the 50% bracket is for those over £150,000, so if 100k is bloody loaded lol!

I do think its a lot of money, but knowing people who earn those figures they dont seem to be rich, comfortable maybe

what about joint incomes? if there is one person earning £40,000, and a couple earning £40,000 the couple could be classed as low earners but the single person as a medium?

If my husband earnt £40k and i earnt £21 then we are medium earners but then is that not a high income?

Should we be taxed on out joint incomes or single?

Oh I dunno, so many couples I know don't 'pool' their money so that would be grossly unfair on the lower earner there!
You can certainly have a high household income without both being high earners though.

interesting right now the 50% bracket is for those over £150,000, so if 100k is bloody loaded lol!

I do think its a lot of money, but knowing people who earn those figures they dont seem to be rich, comfortable maybe

Oh yeah i know that haha but to me if my Oh was bringing home even 50k I think id feel rich haha! Only because we are in the low income bracket anyways where as I guess someone earning 50K may see it as low and think 100k is just right but you never know untill you have lived that life although I do think those who start in a low income and work up to a bloody loaded figure maybe realise how much money they have asposed to those who (lucky gits) manage to walk straight into their first job at a great wage :shrug:

Oh yeah i know that haha but to me if my Oh was bringing home even 50k I think id feel rich haha! Only because we are in the low income bracket anyways where as I guess someone earning 50K may see it as low and think 100k is just right but you never know untill you have lived that life although I do think those who start in a low income and work up to a bloody loaded figure maybe realise how much money they have asposed to those who (lucky gits) manage to walk straight into their first job at a great wage :shrug:

I do agree, i would love my husband to be earning £150,000! hehe even at 50% tax right now, but if he was he wouldnt be doing the job he does now. i wouldnt see him much im sure :wacko:

Where i used to live almost all our neighbors worked on rigs, we felt very poor lol! but good on them, they earn more yep but they are away for weeks on end or months!

We will never earn big money as we prefer to spend time as a family. my husband works 4 days a week in the summer (much more on the winter) and i love it!

I do agree, i would love my husband to be earning £150,000! hehe even at 50% tax right now, but if he was he wouldnt be doing the job he does now. i wouldnt see him much im sure :wacko:

Where i used to live almost all our neighbors worked on rigs, we felt very poor lol! but good on them, they earn more yep but they are away for weeks on end or months!

We will never earn big money as we prefer to spend time as a family. my husband works 4 days a week in the summer (much more on the winter) and i love it!

With Oh's new job he has the prospects to end up a high earner but it will take along time! Thankfully his not in a job that requires time away he works mon-fri 8am-5pm and has overtime here and there like his going in for a few hours tomorrow and pretty much would have the same working days/times however high up he went.. I dont think I could be with someone who was away all the time no disrespect to those who do it but me personaly i couldnt

I dont think I could be with someone who was away all the time no disrespect to those who do it but me personaly i couldnt

Same.

It's hard. Trust me it's hard. Worst when, like this week, I'm ill and there's no Ian about to help with Fin. Or when Fin is ill and Ian's not there for me to get a second opinion about my concerns with.

It makes our relationship so strong though because we HAVE to trust each other 100% else we'd likely go insane... and it makes us enjoy the times he is home even more.

It's been better since Fin was born really. Ian used to be away Mon-Fri standard but now, even with him being in Bournemouth & London etc a lot he'll typically only stay away 1-2 nights, then home a night, then away a night etc. Helps to break things up and means Ian at least gets to see Fin... even if he's sleeping lol. He gets to see him loads at the weekend though and they have a really strong bond... and he's been in the office 1-2 days a week for a while.

For us though, it's worth it. My childhood has made me want desperately to give Fin a very financially secure upbringing. I didn't have much growing up, I even got second hand knickers which is just grimey. I want to be able to give my kids the secure childhood I never had... and while our marriage is as strong as can be and Fin & Ian have a fab relationship then it's worth the hard times. If Fin ever gave me reason to believe he was affected by Ian's job or our marriage suffered then we'd have to reassess

xx

I dont think I could be with someone who was away all the time no disrespect to those who do it but me personaly i couldnt

Same.

totally agree.

one of my neighbors and i were really close (still am even though im 600 miles away lol) but teh amount if times she was ill, in hospital or something and he wasnt there was terrible.

she even bought their new house without him, as he was off shore.

its def not for me

Same.

It is not always an option though. DH's job is just like that- if he is designing a building in Qatar then he may well need to go there, often on 1 day's notice, to sort out problems. He has always worked away, since we graduated. Often it was 5 days away, home at weekends and then away again. You need to put a lot of work into making sure that you make the most of the time you do have together.....

Same.

It is not always an option though. DH's job is just like that- if he is designing a building in Qatar then he may well need to go there, often on 1 day's notice, to sort out problems. He has always worked away, since we graduated. Often it was 5 days away, home at weekends and then away again. You need to put a lot of work into making sure that you make the most of the time you do have together.....

I agree its not always an option, and no one was saying there was anything wrong with it. just saying higher earners tend to have more hours like that or working away, and for me id rather my husband earn less and be home more (or at least in the area) then work away more for more money.

But nothing wrong with that either, i wouldnt say im a very independant person, im not one of these super women who puts the furniture together, OH does that, lol, so i would struggle with him away. He helps out loads with my son and the house, even though im a SAHM.

But that is what works for us, and I know it wouldnt work for other people. Thankfully, otherwise there would be some jobs one one would do. its good we are all different :flower:

Same.

I agree its not always an option, and no one was saying there was anything wrong with it. just saying higher earners tend to have more hours like that or working away, and for me id rather my husband earn less and be home more (or at least in the area) then work away more for more money.

But nothing wrong with that either, i wouldnt say im a very independant person, im not one of these super women who puts the furniture together, OH does that, lol, so i would struggle with him away. He helps out loads with my son and the house, even though im a SAHM.

But that is what works for us, and I know it wouldnt work for other people. Thankfully, otherwise there would be some jobs one one would do. its good we are all different :flower:

Agreed :thumbup:

However I can do all the DIY etc so am independant in sence however I get bored very fast and could see myself becoming very depressed in an evening! Plus I guess im to jealous and insecure to have an Oh who works away I hated it when he went with work to london for the day he left at 9am and was home at 8pm :dohh:

This will sound ridiculous to some, but we earn over £100,000 a year and we most certainly aren't anywhere near bloody loaded!!!

We own a modest 3 bed semi, have two average cars, I buy clothes from primark, matalan, tescos anything above that is a luxury. We shop conservatively from tescos (certainly can't afford or justify waitrose prices) and we take one 1 weeks holiday a year, if that.

Hubby works 6 days a week full time and I work part time.

Maybe it's all relative to where you live.... Perhaps a taxing system based on that would be fairer? But right now, for London/ Essex living we most certainly aren't loaded.... I'd say comfortable but living without frills or extravagances.... No expensive meals, clothes etc etc and neither hubby or I smoke or drink.

My parents live more central to London and they are in the 50% tax bracket (earn above £150,000) and they are comfortable too.... My dad drives a fancy car, but their house is nothing out of the ordinary again, a few holidays a year perhaps but thats it. No designer clothes, no expensive furniture or what not.... Just general day to day costs and a nice big tax bill at the end :winkwink:

Plain and simple answer....

No

I am far from being rich, often times living off of pay check to pay check. And even though would qualify for benefits I don't. Just because I believe that they are for people who physically cannot work at all, while I am very much physically able. I think there are too many people in this world who expect things and feel they are entitled, and too many people that are more than able but are just too lazy to go out and get a job or get educated, and much rather be a freeloader and just in general abusing the system. I have seen it first hand. Someone who was on full government benefits and would drive around in a porsche or benz, but then would complain if they had to pay $1 for thier medicine prescription of cough syrup or something along those lines. They would expect it and want it to be free. It's disgusting really.

And even being of lower income, I think that people who get paid more than me work for that pay check. I have a cousin who is a big CEO of a corporation and would never think that he should have to pay more in taxes and have to pay just because he went to school, worked his butt off and still does, went up the ranks to get to where he is now that he should have to pay just because he is better off that some others.

Same goes for even people who make 100K+ a year being a doctor or pharmacist or scientist because those people are getting paid for their brain. It is a select few people in the world who are smart enough for these jobs and I don't think they should be penalized.

we're in the 40% tax bracket and we're living okay but still struggle with some things, anymore tax and it would become a struggle, we used to live in a tiny box house in west-minister when my dad was still working in the force and combined they earned over 150k but we were never living it up in luxury, we weren't living in designer clothes or living it up or shopping in amazing places, they both worked 60+ hours and we could just about afford our school fees, a mortgage of 600k odd and the ridiculous parking costs, my parents moved to surrey and my dad quit the force out of stress and work hours and they earn less but its not as expensive to live in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->