Does anyone else get really annoyed with some peoples attitude of the rich should pay

The prices in London are mad. I find it shocking. We're in Swindon which is commutable. Maybe 2 hrs drive from London. We got a 4 bed for £170k. Every room needed work but still, a 4 bed for that price is pretty good. I'd be surprised if you even got a 1 bed apartment fo that in London lol xx

I dont think I could be with someone who was away all the time no disrespect to those who do it but me personaly i couldnt

Same.

It is not always an option though. DH's job is just like that- if he is designing a building in Qatar then he may well need to go there, often on 1 day's notice, to sort out problems. He has always worked away, since we graduated. Often it was 5 days away, home at weekends and then away again. You need to put a lot of work into making sure that you make the most of the time you do have together.....

I agree its not always an option, and no one was saying there was anything wrong with it. just saying higher earners tend to have more hours like that or working away, and for me id rather my husband earn less and be home more (or at least in the area) then work away more for more money.

But nothing wrong with that either, i wouldnt say im a very independant person, im not one of these super women who puts the furniture together, OH does that, lol, so i would struggle with him away. He helps out loads with my son and the house, even though im a SAHM.

But that is what works for us, and I know it wouldnt work for other people. Thankfully, otherwise there would be some jobs one one would do. its good we are all different :flower:

I wasn't having a go, just saying that there is not always an option. My hubby couldn't do the job he does if he wouldn't travel. It wouldn't just be the case of earning less money but giving up a career that he loves. Not saying I love it (not saying I even like it a lot of the time!!!) but it is just how it is. I am a SAHM too but I like tinkering with bits and pieces so that doesn't bother me. :flower:

Everyone should pay tax proportionate to their earnings. Unfortunately, the cold hard reality is that the tax receipts the gvt get to fill their coffers come from the wealthiest in the country...so, if you start narking these people off and disincentivising people from earning, not only do you harm the general growth of the economy, but you reduce the amount of money the gvt has to spend on healthcare services etc - as people will just turn round and say 'why bother working hard'. It's akin to tiling a student that getting a C is no better than gutting an A - why would you bother trying to get an A?

There always has to be a reward for something, and those at every level at every sector must be rewarded for their progression and hard wark I,e, consultants, head teachers, snr civil servants, executives etc.

We are classified as 'high earners', and I have no issue with paying taxes proportionate to our earnings.*

Everyone is in a position to choose their lifestyle, we are lucky at the moment that my husband is home at around 7pm, due to the client he is working with. I am fully aware that may / will change with future clients. My privilege for this is to stay at home with the kids, in a nice home, and for us to be able to provide them with every opportunity we can I.e. Education, travel, hobbies, health cover, help buying houses in the future etc. We have our evenings, and we always have fun weekends. I guess everyone has different things that work for them, and this is what we want. We want to give them the best family life, and our ambition is to give them as much as possible. Especially when you consider how much harder life will be for them, fiscally.

I'm a SAHM to 4 and my hubby works fulltime. We started off in the UK for a little time after he graduated ( he's 24 and UK/US citizen) then moved to the states and its the best thing we did. We get 4x the salary and apart from paying towards social security and medicare we essentially dont get taxed :shock:

We do get charged through the nose for health insurance, I think like 10k this year alone including the new baby and co pays but its great and fast care:thumbup: We are eligible for absolutely no assistance.

However we are in a strange position in that although our income should lend us to being able to pay more (100k+) we are young and saving for new house etc, building savings. 2k a month rent and 4 kids are not cheap here esp when 2 are special needs!

Hubby does travel for work, of to LA again in a fortnight but generally he leaves at 7 30am and home for 4 30pm mon-fri so not bad, travel does seem to go hand in hand with advancement here.

by the way just thought id add we got taxed $30,000..earnt just over $100,000(AUD by the way)so realistically we only earnt $70,000..and people who ACTUALLY earn $70,000 would be taxed in the lower bracket so not nearly as much so really even though oh has a high risk job with lots of overtime he is not THAT far ahead of others!!i dont really think thats entirely fair..and just to clarify on weeks he is not oncall he is home by 2-3pm in the arvo every day and has sundays off..he always works saturday til 3 cos thats where most of our money comes from..its only on the oncall weeks he has the possibility of being out at work all night but if he is he also gets standown the next day BUT obviously needs to sleep..so hes not away persay and cos his job is very good if something happens with the kids or me he can just drop everything and leave cos there are lots of lineworkers in his crew..but he does on average clock up 70hours work in a week which is why he earns the money he does!

Personally i think that if you work your arse off earning it your should get to keep it (not lose more than every other bugger anyway) there are far to many people who just presume they will be taken care of if they choose not to work -and that's just wrong

If it where me there would only be a very small minority who would actually qualify for benefits, the elderly, disabled and those with dependents.

I think its a sad reflection on society that people think they have a right a living without working for it

Hey ho tho, that's why we emigrated!

Personally i think that if you work your arse off earning it your should get to keep it (not lose more than every other bugger anyway) there are far to many people who just presume they will be taken care of if they choose not to work -and that's just wrong

If it where me there would only be a very small minority who would actually qualify for benefits, the elderly, disabled and those with dependents.

I think its a sad reflection on society that people think they have a right a living without working for it

What about people who work damn bloody hard but get paid pennys, not every hard worker is rich! :coffee:

I dont think that the high earners should pay the same tax of that of a low income household but I dont agree with wanting them to pay even more than they already do.

They have lost CTC, WTC, CB what else? Its unfair.

What about people who work damn bloody hard but get paid pennys, not every hard worker is rich! :coffee:

I agree. I am a low earner but I work all hours of the day. If my boss needs me at 2am to talk him through something he will wake me up from my sleep! Believe me I work. Sometimes harder than those who earn mega bucks! The bloke who owns the corner shop next to work said his wife only works one day a week and takes home £100,000 a year!!! :dohh: she had her sone 5 days after I had my girls.

Its amazing that people think low income earners dont work hard :shrug:

There are millions of families with dependants at the moment those high earners dont get that but if they did then I am sure we would be worse off state than we are now.

The prices in London are mad. I find it shocking. We're in Swindon which is commutable. Maybe 2 hrs drive from London. We got a 4 bed for £170k. Every room needed work but still, a 4 bed for that price is pretty good. I'd be surprised if you even got a 1 bed apartment fo that in London lol xx

We live in a London borough, even my 2 bed flat is worth £170,000 My aunty paid £173,000 for her 2 bedroom flat.

London is so expensive. My mum and dad have a 5 bedroom house, standard 3 bedroom and loft conversion with 2 bedrooms and thats valued at £300,000

My Oh rides his push bike to work every day he works at 4:30am, he works hands on all day and he is not a high earner! He is not anything less than hard working though!

No-one said or implied that those that earn less do not work hard, just that those that do earn higher incomes have mostly had to work hard to get to where they are so it is unfair to be taxed a higher % of income as a result of earning more xx

I never said low earners don't work hard, I just said why should a hard working high earner get penalized more than a hard working low earner.

By your logic a hard working low earner some how 'deserves' to keep their money more ... and that's crap

**Ps - KittyVentura - my comments not directed at you!**

yes no one said low income earners dont work hard at all..in my oh's case he works with live electrical powerlines, attends accidents where cars have hit poles, climbs through thick bush and swamps to get to lines, climbs metres and metres in the air to work on the poles, AND works a lot of extra hours to earn his money..his job is very dangerous and he is paid as such (by the government by the way its a government job!) and the government then takes a bunch of it away again!

Also a lot of higher income earners tend to have higher student debt to pay off. In a lot of cases it could end up being pay the loan, pay the goverernment extra tax and be left in a position where you may as well not have bothered:coffee:

I dont really know where I stand on this. I know its selfish but I only care what we pay, I dont know hat high earners have to pay and as selfish as it is,I dont have a huge opinion on it as it does not affect me. Bad?

well as someone whos OH is in the "low income" bracket and on a low tax rate we still scrape for pennys when the bills come in and we dont have any "perks" at all , OH works 40 hrs a week plus overtime when its avalible and we rent in south west london, our rent and council tax is some of the highest for comparable property in the country but moving would be worth it caus of the commute costs would outwiegh the benefits of it.

i dont think those earning more should pay a higher pecentage of their wages in tax they pay more anyway caus they spend more! my FIL is weathly enough to retire at 50 comfortably with a child yet to go through school ( who will be going to a private school with high fees ) and FIL worked hard for his money he did long long hours and has dragged his family around the world for the last 5 years living in different places to make the best money. but he paid the price he missed out on his eldest sons childhood even when they were living with him then he barely saw them.

id rather struggle on one income than give up alot of family time for a bit more money, and unless OH jumps to earn £35k+ anyway then anything we gain in income we will loose in benefit leaving us in the same situation!

I think that a lot of %50 tax bracket earners actually don't pay nearly that much as they can all afford tax advisors who can help them to write off expenses etc. The same goes for all these companies that successfully avoid paying corporation tax. If people and companies paid what they actually owe, things would be a lot fairer. IMO

My oh isn't quite in 50% bracket BUT in the coming years he will move into to that bracket.he works in a government job and this year he paid $30000 tax and only got a $3000 return.he will never be able to write off tax here there and everywhere because of his close proximity to the government.the only way we can battle the 50% bracket is to salary sacrifice when he gets to it and put the excess in our super which u aren't taxed on and actually get extra money from te government for doing so..but even still that's not money in our pocket we can touch until wer old!!wer just lucky I am going to UNi to do nursing and will be earning a good wage so if it comes to oh earning that much he may as well just back off a bit with work to make sure he earns less and we will have my job for all the extras

I can't help but think this whole thread is aimed at me! :lol: This is a hugely complex issue and I don't claim by any means to fully understand it all but here is my understanding of it.

VAT - this is an unfair tax for low earners. Whilst well off people may buy more stuff overall these tend to be luxury items and as a proportion of their income low earners have much more of their spending subject to VAT on essentials. For example, those at the border of fuel poverty will be paying a considerable portion of their income simply on heating (and thus the VAT) whereas for a rich person the VAT on heating will be relatively inconsequential out of their income.

NI - I know I've said I'd rather have seen NI raised than VAT but I've never seem anyone suggest there should be a higher earner rate. I certainly haven't. Raising NI protects the poor compared to VAT as there is a lower earning limit at which no NI is paid thus it only affects those earning above a certain amount.

Who is rich and who is poor - there are different ways of calculating average income but the one generally used is about £23k gross (a fairer way comes in at £21k but that debate is for another thread). See all the rich/poor divide thread for details of wealth distribution. Remember that earning an 'average' salary doesn't necessarily mean that amount is sufficient to live on, it is just a measure of how earnings are averaged out by population.

CB was mentioned - I think it is wrong that there is no longer a universal benefit. Just because a family has wealth it doesn't always follow that it is shared with women/children. As a woman's benefit CB historically was the only income many women had and meant they could care for their children regardless what their husbands did. Whilst this is most likely much less the case (though only 40% of women with children under 5 are in work) it was still an important benefit for uniting the rights of women and children universally. It created buy in to the welfare system for higher earners. The notion that a single parent earning over £35k wil lose it but a family earning almost twice that (plus the benefit of two tax free personal allowances) get to keep it is ludicrous.

I do think it is ok and indeed right for the rich to be taxed more. The reason I believe this is down to wealth distribution, social mobility and social responsibility. It is well recognised that children born in wealth are way more likely to die there whereas those born in poverty are more likely to die so. It is extremely difficult for people born at the low end to raise their prospects, and will be even harder now that university fees are so high. Being born rich opens up enormous opportunity that poorer people simply cannot benefit from. I'm not going to go into them all unless I have to as it'll take me all day to respond!

When considering pay there is considerable inequality. Women continue to earn less than men for the same job. The essential jobs such as caring and food provision are disgustingly low paid whereas jobs that make money (like financiers) earn ludicrously high amounts. In the middle there are jobs for which the pay better reflects the level of training and responsibility but they are pretty much all jobs requiring a degree and as such confer an advantage on those who are born more wealthy.

I think the wealthy have a responsibility to take care of their society and fellow man. Let us also bear in mind that benefit fraud costs about £1bn and tax evasion about £50bn...

No, I don't think it is a particularly fair system right now for anyone but I also don't think it is possible to make it totally fair as the relative opportunities and responsibilities are individual could never be calculated.

And for my own part I do understand the grievances people have about the current system. My husband and I are in that middle bit that lost money when the 10p tax was scrapped (bad move by Labour). I got a pay rise last year after negotiating more responsibilities for myself in lieu of not having any job to apply for because my sector almost universally employs in London and the south. That pay rise has knocked our household income over the tax credit boundary which means no support for the £13,500 childcare we face next year which is more than my husband's net salary therefore we have to find a way to live on one income. Neither of us earns as much as the average salary despite both holding high degrees. My brother's family are single earners. He works in finance and gets about £50k. He's just lost all his credits and benefits. The catch is they have 5 children aged 1-12, my sil is a sahm (as if anyone could afford the childcare) and is studying a degree part time.

The system is far from perfect but it could be less fair I suppose. Sorry for the mammoth post!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->