Does anyone have a golden retriever? x

B

becks

Hi everyone :wave: After 15 long weeks in a womans refuge I have finally been offered a lovely 3 bedroom house for me and my 2 girls :) it has a huge back garden and because i've always been brought up with a pet dog... I want to get my own to make my new home complete :happydance: I really really love Golden retrievers but would like as much info as I can get. What are they like as puppies ( do they chew? ) are they good with children? ( my daughters are 2 and 7 ) I want a boy... the son I never had :haha: and he is going to be spoilt rotten!!!

Any info good or bad would be greatly appreciated x

Thanks in advance xXx

we had one when i was a baby, omg he was amazing, my dad showed him at crufts. I used to ride him like a horse :D i wanted one this time, but we chose a chocolate lab x

Beautiful choice of dog! I don't have one but I love retrievers. I'm after one one day, a boy and call him Lennie :D Have you thought of a name for the one you'll get?

I have one. A boy called Duke. We have had him since a puppy and he is now 8! I have heard that they can be bad chewers as pups, like any pup I guess, but we were really lucky with Duke and he didn't really chew anything. We just made sure he had a few toys he was allowed to chew. He was also very quick at house training and training in general. Our DS is 3 now and they get on really well together and Duke bless him puts up with a lot.

I was going to put up a pic but I'm at work and the pic I have here is an invalid file. :wacko: I'll try remember when I get home.

aaww thanks everyone :) I am going to call him Ben. Kaybee I would love to see a pic of Duke xxx

Not now but we had one when I was a child / teenager. She did chew a lot, and most people I know with Goldies have experienced a lot of this. Obviously chew toys are a big help and not leaving anything dangerous to chew lying around. She was very energetic and needed a lot of exercise. She was brilliant with kids, my mum did childminding and she was very good with young children. They are fabulous dogs so long as you are prepared to exercise them properly. They do moult a lot though and require some grooming as they have quite a long thick coat.

Bad chewers is an understatment.
My husbands gran has one and it ate the frying pan on tuesday, im not kidding there was little left of it.
Nothing is safe, cushions, handbags, garden orniments, rose bushes, egg whisks, the lot.
They have her at the vets at least twice a month to have things removed from her stomach or to have xrays to check somthing she atw isnt harming her.
On a plus note though she is the most laid back tollerable dog iv ever known (when she isnt pushing you over to steal the shoes off your feet)

Brian is with her about twice a week and she will submit to him and just lays there letting brian get on with pretty much anything he wants to do, she is so good with him.
Of course id never trust any dog alone with my son bur I always get the felling shes trying to make a consious effert to be carfull or calmer when around him where as any other time she is a garbage compressing tazmanian devil that will steal the food off your plate in the blink of any eye

Bad chewers is an understatment.
My husbands gran has one and it ate the frying pan on tuesday, im not kidding there was little left of it.
Nothing is safe, cushions, handbags, garden orniments, rose bushes, egg whisks, the lot.
They have her at the vets at least twice a month to have things removed from her stomach or to have xrays to check somthing she atw isnt harming her.
On a plus note though she is the most laid back tollerable dog iv ever known (when she isnt pushing you over to steal the shoes off your feet)

Brian is with her about twice a week and she will submit to him and just lays there letting brian get on with pretty much anything he wants to do, she is so good with him.
Of course id never trust any dog alone with my son bur I always get the felling shes trying to make a consious effert to be carfull or calmer when around him where as any other time she is a garbage compressing tazmanian devil that will steal the food off your plate in the blink of any eye
This is my experience of goldies and that they need lots of exercise. If u have time for lots of walks that will help x

We must be really lucky with Duke cause he hasn't chewed anything. My mum has had a few bull mastiffs and they have all been chewers and one of them had to go to the vet to get operated on to remove a blockage. They found a potato :wacko:

Here is a pic of Duke :cloud9:

Attachments

• 26430_1347229334631_4945237_n.jpg
    26430_1347229334631_4945237_n.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 4
My father and step-mom had a Golden and she was the sweetest most well behaved dog ever. Sadly passed away before Christmas last year at 13. She didn't chew anything except her toys. I think you can train them not to chew furniture etc. She was very active though! And even at her old age still acted like a puppy with people. She was a very gentle dog though.

Attachments

• DSCF0540.jpg
    DSCF0540.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 3
Our golden retriever is 11 today! She was quite a bad chewer as a puppy-even the bottom of a kitchen cabinet! She was a dream to train though bless her. Although she prefers older children she has been brilliant with the 3 of ours that have been babies/toddlers in her lifetime. The biggest downside to a golden for me has been the hair! It doesn't matter how well or often we groom her she still seems to shed all the time!

Aaaww thankyou for showing me your photos... they are gorgeous!!!! I think the good thing about my situation is that he will never be in the house alone apart from when I go to take my daughter to school and to pick her back up again ( i'll be out for 30 mins each time ) I want to spoil him rotten and he will be my baby boy :) x

Remember to think about how ur planning for your life to pan out over the next few years though too, eg are u planning on working? If so what will u do with him all day if u do decide to go back to work x

Remember to think about how ur planning for your life to pan out over the next few years though too, eg are u planning on working? If so what will u do with him all day if u do decide to go back to work . They can live for up to 20 odd years remember x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->