Does anyone have a labradoodle or goldendoodle?

We have labradoodle. Just to note, ours sheds because he is an F1, the more generation of poodle in them, the less likely they will shed. Loads of people really don't understand that, and then assume any doodle cross won't shed, and then when they do, they are given up.

There are labradoodle rehoming charities especially because of this, so you might find one there?

Anyway, ours is lovely. Everyone(neighbours, other dog owners, trainer, dog sitter) always comments on his sweet temperament, and i've seen this in many other labradoodles too. He's gentle and loves kids, he is exactly the type of family dog i always imagined having. I've had other lovely dogs before, but his temperament is much sweeter. He is so affectionate and i've had comments that people wish their dog was as affectionate as he is. He is big though, taller than a labrador. I walk him an hour a day and more in summer and he plays with his toys and sleeps the rest of the time. This suits him.

Re: some of the pp posts, Jumping, biting, barking is what dogs do, the owners have to teach them what you want/don't want them to do. our labradoodle doesn't bite, doesn't jump, can be hyper but what dog doesn't when it isn't getting enough exercise?

I know of some labradoodles that need much more exercise than ours, but that's because they are bigger and have more energy. You could look into getting one of the smaller sizes.

Really decide on how much time you can give to walking and get a breed that has similar needs, it makes a world of difference to a dogs behavior when they are walked enough. It's a shame when people get dogs and don't exercise them and wonder why they won't behave and then get rid of them when it's such a simple thing to fix.

Good luck.

I have a 10 year old Labradoodle, and she is the smartest, friendliest and most intuitive dog we've ever had. She excelled at both competitive obedience and agility, and is also a certified Delta Therapy dog, and visits the elderly at our local hospital.

I very much agree with the people who've said that training is the key with any dog. Labradoodles are a cross between Poodles and Labradors, and both breeds had their origins as working dogs, so you need to keep their minds and bodies active. Also, the size of Poodle crosses will of course depend on the breed of Poodle they have in their backgrounds ie toy, miniature or standard. My girl's dad was a Miniature Poodle, and she weighs about 20 kilos. She doesn't shed, but bear in mind that means she has to be brushed regularly, and also clipped every couple of months.

And please ignore the anti-crossbred snobs and sceptics. I guess everybody thinks their dog is the greatest, but crossbred dogs do make absolutely fantastic family pets, which is why they are now so popular. All the studies show they live longer and are healthier than the average purebred, so you'll have them for longer, and save on vet bills too.

Good luck finding your perfect puppy :)

Best wishes
Gem

There's nothing wrong with cross breeds! I love mine, just don't like the prices that some breeders charge! People are willing to pay that though, so each to their own :shrug:

Thanks everyone for your replies. I think I will have a look around out local rehoming place and see what they say xx

the Labradoodle Trust have info on dogs that need rehoming and more, but i can't get the page working right now, and also, the labradoodle association.

https://www.labradoodle.org.uk/

I would say that all these dogs are working dogs ? so I would imagine any resulting cross would be an active dog, which isn't to say untrainable or likely to bite etc etc, I have two Dalmatians, IMO a VERY hard dog to train and my life would have been easier if I had of picked a calmer breed to start with, but you can totally train working dogs :) Just be aware of the extra effort. My bitch is smarter and better trained then my dog and she is 1 and he is 3! so that might be something to think about.

My only issue with this dog really is the price, because it is a crossbread. You don't get a pedigree etc etc. I'm no pure breed snob! not at all, I just wouldn't want to pay breed prices for a mix :)

Regarding cross-breeds (and designer breeds, which are reall cross-breeds) and purebred dogs, I think the big difference is that with purebred dogs, you can more easily predict what the dog will be like in terms of temperament, size, shedding, etc. Of course there is some variation, but not nearly as much as with cross-breed dogs.

When a dog is a mix of two breeds, they can end up with the appearance, temperament, size, etc. of either breed or any combination of them. So if for example you mix a hyper breed with a calm breed, the resulting puppies would not necessarily be medium-energy dogs. They could be anywhere from hyper to calm.
That's why it can be difficult to predict the temperament of a labradoodle or goldendoodle. It might be easier to research labs (or golden retrievers) and poodles separately. Make sure you are happy with the characteristics of both breeds, especially if you get a puppy. Don't assume the dog will have the best of both breeds.
With an adult dog, you can more easily see the personality. Some personality traits do not show as well in a shelter environment, but it's still easier than with a puppy.

I am not saying that purebred dogs are better. I have never had a purebred dog myself. I much prefer mutts. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->