does anyone use a sling for hands free BF?

callmedan

Reaction score
Im way off this at the min but it is something I would be interested in doing in the future, it seems a really discreet way of BF in public

does anyone have any recommendations? preferably in the UK but you can buy anything on amazon nowadays :)

I bought an Ergo carrier with infant insert for my 2nd baby so I could do stuff with my toddler while carrying baby. You CAN bf with the Ergo but it's not perfect unless you're one of those very coordinated people who can loosen and tighten straps on your back with no problem. I am not, haha. So I leave the straps alone and try to lift my boob up to my baby when he fusses in the carrier. It DOES work but if he's really hungry then I'll take it off for a longer feed as I'm not convinced he can suckle the same way in the carrier as out of it.

There is a YouTube video that shows you how to loosen one strap to bring baby down to the level of your boob. I cannot do it.

I have worn him in the Ergo for long stretches of time, though, and he seems to like it most of the time. It is VERY comfortable to wear, which is what I love. A bit tricky to put on but you get used to it.

Do you have a sling library nearby? They'd be able to tell you which ones are designed for bf on the go and give you a demo. You could then try out a few different types before committing to buying

You can extract your milk with the use of manual breast pumps. There is no need of using batteries or electric. Afterward, you can feed your baby whenever you want.

I breastfed my 17 month old in the sling yesterday :)
Not in order to be discreet (that goes out the window when they start looking around during feeds from about 4 months) but because I'm on the go.

When in the baby carrier I feed my baby upright, no need to lie the baby down. They are usually carried at about boob height.

Chocolate, if you are struggling doing up the back of your carrier, check if you can cross the straps at the back. I use an Action Baby Carrier and a Rose & Rebellion and you can do it with both. I just flip the strap over my shoulder and catch and attach on the other side with my other hand. This creates an X on my back, which is a lot more comfortable on the shoulders, too.

Felecia, I don't find your suggestion helpful, tbh. The OP was asking about breastfeeding in a sling. If you can, it is always better to feed right from the breast and I would never discourage someone from doing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->