Does anyone work in a restaurant?

lau86

Reaction score
We went out to eat today and I found a date label (deep fried) in my chips, the date said 26/7/14. I mentioned it to the waitress and she got the manager over who said that's the date that we make it not the use by date. Hubby was really sceptical though!
They took the meal off the bill which I thought was a nice gesture, but does anyone know if this is what restaurants do with food date stickers? Just seems a strange thing to do and an easy way for mistakes to be made eg with some months having 30 and 31 days

Hi, I work in a restaurant. Our date labels have the date it was made and the date it is to be used by, I guess it depends on which part of the label you got?

Also, we can only put a max of 3 days on food labels. I'm pretty sure a lot of the food would be fine after that time, I.e. Olives, butter etc but by law it all needs a date label on it.

I work in a food store, we label stuff with the date it was made and the day it goes out. As chilled food can get 48/72 etc hours sheld life dependant on product

I've worked in a restaurant and we put the date to use by. But for a lot of things I always felt that they were way too soon. It's usually just to cover themselves to prevent any food poisoning but also could be pretty wasteful in my opinion.

It's also possible that who ever put that sticker is getting the date wrong. It's happened many times where I worked. Or maybe they do mark when they make it.

Either way I wouldn't be too worried about it.

It looked exactly like a price label but had the date on instead. I guess there was another sticker on it that said the date to be throw away? That would make me feel a bit better anyway!
Eta it was a printed not hand written date

You're talking about it being one day off possibly right? Doesn't seem like a huge deal… I'd be more concerned about why there was a label in my food. Seems careless overall, but then again I've never worked in a restaurant.

Well tbh I was concerned about it all! I don't think a restaurant should be serving 'out of date' food. I think its irrelevant whether the food was fine to eat or not. But
It seems, from peoples replies that it probably wasn't out of date so that's fine

I dont work in a restaurant but i know some people that do. Its the date it is made

when i worked with food it was date it was made x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->