Does everyone have a glucose tolerance test?

Charlie5

Reaction score
I have read posts about this and just wondered does everyone have this test as routine or only if you are deemed high risk/there are reasons to request it?

The reason I ask is that my mw has been off long term sick - which I know canot be helped. Anyway for various medical reasons I have been regsitered with the mw since 3 weeks (due to an emergency trip to hospital at this point with pains - very early I know) and due to high BP I have been under an obstetrician since who I see 4 weekly and mw who I have been seeing fortnightly and now see weekly. Its always a different midwife, think I have seen the same one possibly same two twice which seeing how frequently I go thats a lot of different mw's I have seen (am 30 weeks).

Probably being OTT but so far I have to explain everytime why I am there, what I am being monitored for and have had to ask for everything, MAT forms, pregnancy grant forms, I had to say I didn't want the triple test as no one had mentioned it to me and I knew from here I had 3 days left in the time window for it to be done etc etc. The only thing that has happened are the scans which may be down the the ob rather than the mw. Last appointment mw told me the obstetrician was being ott with me and I didn't need to see her to be monitored as frequently and was fine (I haven't listened and will continue to be checked weekly as It'll be a different mw anyway and am doing whatever obstetrician says despite mw telling me to ignore his instructions!).

Anyway is the glucose tolerance test something I should be having or not?

Ooops just realised this has sort of turned into a mini-rant - sorry!! :blush:

I think I had this at 8 weeks and 28 weeks just as routine. They'll be done along with other tests as far as I know. It is worth mentioning to your midwife, although she should have this type of info stored on the computer

I have read posts about this and just wondered does everyone have this test as routine or only if you are deemed high risk/there are reasons to request it?

The reason I ask is that my mw has been off long term sick - which I know canot be helped. Anyway for various medical reasons I have been regsitered with the mw since 3 weeks (due to an emergency trip to hospital at this point with pains - very early I know) and due to high BP I have been under an obstetrician since who I see 4 weekly and mw who I have been seeing fortnightly and now see weekly. Its always a different midwife, think I have seen the same one possibly same two twice which seeing how frequently I go thats a lot of different mw's I have seen (am 30 weeks).

Probably being OTT but so far I have to explain everytime why I am there, what I am being monitored for and have had to ask for everything, MAT forms, pregnancy grant forms, I had to say I didn't want the triple test as no one had mentioned it to me and I knew from here I had 3 days left in the time window for it to be done etc etc. The only thing that has happened are the scans which may be down the the ob rather than the mw. Last appointment mw told me the obstetrician was being ott with me and I didn't need to see her to be monitored as frequently and was fine (I haven't listened and will continue to be checked weekly as It'll be a different mw anyway and am doing whatever obstetrician says despite mw telling me to ignore his instructions!).

Anyway is the glucose tolerance test something I should be having or not?

Ooops just realised this has sort of turned into a mini-rant - sorry!! :blush:

Hi Hun

You have probably been referred for a GTT because of your blood pressure - I was too. I have had exactly the same treatment as you throughout my pregnancy (I'm 37 weeks), i.e hospital-consultant appt every month (now every week) and a midwife appointment every fortnight.

I wouldn't worry about the GTT - they just want to make sure you can digest sugars properly and that you're not at risk of gestational diabetes (it's just a blood test, a drink, then another blood test). It doesn't hurt and it's in your best interest.

Hope this helps

Ang
xx

I just had mine done last week, I'm pretty sure everyone is supposed to get it. :hugs:

Sorry got too carried away ranting :blush: - no one has mentioned to me about the test and I was just checking if it was something I should have and have to ask for like everything else or only some have it and its ok for me not to have one/no one to mention it to me. :blush:

Sorry got too carried away ranting :blush: - no one has mentioned to me about the test and I was just checking if it was something I should have and have to ask for like everything else or only some have it and its ok for me not to have one/no one to mention it to me. :blush:

My friend who is 34 weeks PG (and she doesn't have a high BMI or high BP, unlike me!) doesn't have to have the GTT so if it hasn't been mentioned to you, it may not be necessary. That said, if you have had to ask about everything else (which is a flippin disgrace!) it may be worth asking if they think you are at any risk. High BP and/or high BMI normally means you should have one.

iv got mine next week because my bmi is a little over than average :) xx

In my notes it says reasons for aranging GTT at 24-28:
PCOS,Maternal weight 85kg+,Age 35+,Indo-asian origins,Previous gestational diabetes,
1st degree relative with diabetes,Previous unexplained stillbirth and previous unexplained miscarriages.

I had this test yesterday because I have PCOS.

Maybe will mention it then - considering dad has type 2 diabeties which is in my notes - better pipe up and say something - again!

Thanks ladies.

I believe you mainly need to have it if you have a close relative with Type 1 diabetes, or have a BMI over a certain level (I think it's 30?) - My mum has Type 1, so I had mine today and also with DD, most people I've talked to have never even heard of it. Worth mentioning though, it's not the nicest test in the world but better to rule out GD :)

i've been offered this test and i asked y and was told its offered to anyone thats in a high risk catagory for getsation diabeties- if u have anything like high bmi, PCOS, history of diabeties in mothers family and some other stuff but i can't remember them now. i'm guessing if u've been offered a GTT then u fall into one of those catagories. The test doesn't sound like a big deal- tis just two blood test: one before and one after drinking a sugary drink. it can't hurt to have it. i'd go 4 it if i was u.

Here it is customary for everyone to get it, not sure about where you are from though :)

I haven't been offered it and I was told I had PCOS when I was 16 (though never confirmed. Hmm) and I have a high BMI.

I assumed I'd be offered it if it was needed, but I'm not too worried that they haven't offered me it.

Did that even make sense? It's late and my brain doesn't work :rofl:

last m/w appointment I had a trace of sugar in my urine so she said if it's still there next time (wednesday coming) then i'll have to go for a diabetes check. :(
But no, they dont just send everyone - you know the NHS, they prioritise to keep the costs down xx

I had one at about 28 weeks. They never even told me why and I have no history of diabetics in the family, my blood pressure has always been normal (at least that's what they've told me), so I really thought that it was a normal pregnancy routine. They had me drink something that can only be described as an orange soda, then they make you wait an hour (some have warned me you'll feel light headed, but I never did) and then they drew my blood. Luckily I passed it, otherwise they make you take the 3 hour test and I don't think I'd be able to sit in that waiting room for 3 hours.

Yeah I was confused by this because in my pregnancy book it says that it is routine for all pregnant women to have it in the UK because it can be symptomless, yet it was never mentioned to me. Oh well!

I had this test done on Tuesday. Mine was due to higher BMI and PCOS.

can i jsut ask , the bloods ur mw takes are these the gloucose test ? like in with everything eles? cos my mw never mentioned it either, but i had bloods at 10wk and next wk also ....... sry to interrupt x

oohh no ive defo not had these either then cos ive never drank anything then had blood taken etc :?

can i jsut ask , the bloods ur mw takes are these the gloucose test ? like in with everything eles? cos my mw never mentioned it either, but i had bloods at 10wk and next wk also ....... sry to interrupt x

oohh no ive defo not had these either then cos ive never drank anything then had blood taken etc :?

Nope they are just routine bloods.

The GTT is only offered to women deemed as high risk as the gov is now running an investigation into Gestational Diabetes and it carrying on after the baby is born. So only certain people will get it. Think yourself lucky if you haven't been sent for it it's one less thing to worry about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->