Does It Normally Take This Long at 38?

KatherineA

Reaction score
Hi

Iam relatively new to this forum, so forgive the ignorance.

I have been ttc since June 2011. I had AMH and FSH tests done in January of this year by a fertility specalist. The results came back as AHM of 3.1 and FSH of 11.6. At this point I was considering IVF due to my age (37) however in April this year I got PG natuarly on what would have been the 9th cycle of ttc. It sadly ended in MC in May.

I started ttc again in June and to date have had no luck. Iam just about to start my 9th cycle post MC and was curious to know if it is normal for ttc to take this length of time at 38.

Iam due to start IVF in January but am worried I might be jumping the gun a bit and would like to spare the expense and the inconvenice if maybe being patient is an easier way.

Any advice would be much appreciated!!!

Im 38 and we started trying in November 2011, suffered 3 miscarriages before this pregnancy. Hang in there, it does take a little time. Just do everything you can to maximise your chances. Temp, OPK's and everything else.

Your results arent great, not going to lie, but I have seen lots of women get pregnant on here with worse, but up to you really on ready you are ready to tackle IVF. Im with Kismet, I would be doing CD3 bloods including AMH, AFC and 7 day after ovulation progestrone check first before IVF, just to make sure thats all working correct.

i think the protocol is to do those tests before ivf however I'm very much in your shoes. Tests or not, I want children. I'm not getting younger, I'm getting older and bitter with having no children. At least if they do IVF you'll have a shot (without waiting another 7 months for a bfp) to get pregnant AND get frosties. Once you have some frosties, then you can go about ttc after your first (hoping the IVF was successful) or if something bad happens, because you'd be what, 40? Then you have frosties to fall back on. It's a very nice cushion to set up for yourself.

If you're in UK though, the waitlist is long. I'm guessing you're in Canada/USA where the price is horrendous but you can start in as little as 2 months. I too tried for 15 months only to have our Sept bfp to end in m/c. Sucks and I'm ready for IVF.

Thanks everyone for your very helpful replies.

I saw a FS in January of this year. All the CD 3 and 21 tests were carried out, so was my DH's SA. I had swabs, AHM, a scan of my uterus and ovaries and in March the fallopian tube dye test.

All came back clear except the FS was concerned about my ovarian reserve which he said was low. I was to go back in 6 months to discuss being put on the list for IUI and maybe IVF.

I then got PG and had an MC. Re-visited FS in Nov as we had been trying for 6 months post MC. I saw his junior who said IUI wasnt an option due to my age, reserve and something about not having been trying for 4 years! and that IVF would be better

I have now self referred to a private consultant and have my first consult on 7 Jan. I will certainly be asking about the possibility of IUI first and maybe repeating some tests before moving to IVF.

Iam in the UK and yes, NHS waiting list are horrendous!! The cost per cycle is about £5000.

That's good to know about getting some "frosties" going during IVF. I wasnt fully aware of that!!

Thanks again and good luck to everyone!!

Hello and welcome!

Hmm where to start ;) I started ttc at 37, it took 7 months to conceive our wonderful son, born when I was 38. But he was very premature, required a classic c section which means no ttc for 1.5 years.

Fast forward to me being 39.5 and ttc again. Went to a FS after 6 months, went through all of the tests. The FS said I essentially have the fertility of a 30 year old... I did two IUIs while on the IVF waiting list, which I felt were a bit of a waste of time... finally did the long antagonist IVF protocol, which lasts 2 months. They retrieved 22 eggs! Average is 7-8 for a 35 year old... in fact I was hyper stimulated and borderline sick. but only 6 made it to day 3 embryos. They transferred 2 and froze 4.

Good news is it worked, I got my precious bfp. Bad news is the pregnancy stopped developing at 5.5 weeks. That was two weeks ago, it was horrendous, on top of the horrible news you have to go through all of the hoops - heavy bleeding and cramps for two weeks, spending 3 days in hospitals for tests xyz, etc.

Now we`re just waiting for my next period to start a FET cycle - frozen embryo transfer. It`s a lot more simple than a 'fresh' cycle. 41 is creeping closer and I`m starting to freak out. Having lots of eggs doesn`t mean much if they`re poor quality, the one factor they can`t test for.

I'm lucky that I'm in Quebec, IVF is free for 3 cycles. The FETs are part of the first IVF cycle so I have 2 more transfers before I start my second one.

IVf is now free because the government imposes limits on how many embryos can be transferred. Before 40 you can only have one. The idea is to reduce the amounts of twins and triplets, which often require premature births and so expensive nicu stays. Paying for a few IVF cycles is actually far less expensive than even a 10 day stay in a nicu. I should know, my son was in the nicu for 105 days and (had I had to pay) would have cost 200k$+.

So the program is supposed to pay for itself. Already in its first year the number of multiple births from IVF has dropped drastically. People get a single baby, and can try 3 times for free. Win-win. :flower:

aaanyway I am rambling - good luck!! Keep up the acupuncture, COQ10 and living healthy! I think (after dozens of hours of reading) that those are the key to us ladies having a bfp.

:hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"