Does size/weight have anything to do with...

I don't know if this is a coinsidence, but when Caitlyn was on the 91st percentile she slept through, now she doesn't sleep through she is on the 25th.

Lola is a tiny baby and doesn't eat much. Never slept through as you know...:shrug:
I guess it doesn't have much to do with it considering all the replies.

Maybe not, I also can remember who bf's, ffs, co-sleeps etc ;) Still the majority seem to be a certain approximate size when thy start sleeping through...

FF, don't co sleep, 90th percentile for length, 75 percentile for weight and no sleeping through for us :)

Ewan was bf till 9 months and then went on to formula, never slept through even after weaning. He has always been a big lad.

Babies will sleep through when they are ready to, i think they consider sleeping through to be 5 hours of solid sleep. Not what i'd call sleeping through lol!

yer wat is actually classed as sleeping thru i wonder..12 hours wud be lush...imagine lol...i cant wait for that day if it evn exsists lol xx

Jas has slept 8.5 hours, but I consider 6-7 pretty good, I usually get it too now.

I have read a few books on infant and toddler sleeping and they all say that size doesn't matter. Infants and toddlers just don't sleep like adults, they wake up for many different reasons and its hard to put themsleves back to sleep. For infants 5-6 hours straight is considered sleeping through the night, not 8 hours like us. My son is 18 months, 21 lbs and does not sleep through the night, and thats normal. The book I am currently reading says that a child will start sleeping through the night around age 5. Some kids and infants do sleep through the night, but it is rare. Its normal for them to wake up several times in the night.

I don't know if this is a coinsidence, but when Caitlyn was on the 91st percentile she slept through, now she doesn't sleep through she is on the 25th.

Savannah has always been on or under the 50th percentile... She sleeps through now

I have read a few books on infant and toddler sleeping and they all say that size doesn't matter. Infants and toddlers just don't sleep like adults, they wake up for many different reasons and its hard to put themsleves back to sleep. For infants 5-6 hours straight is considered sleeping through the night, not 8 hours like us. My son is 18 months, 21 lbs and does not sleep through the night, and thats normal. The book I am currently reading says that a child will start sleeping through the night around age 5. Some kids and infants do sleep through the night, but it is rare. Its normal for them to wake up several times in the night.

Books are cah cah..

most people I know have babies who sleep through the night... I used to work at a foster home and even the little year old guys slept through 12 hours. However this type of environment is really routine based and the foster mom has been through raising tons of babies.

From what my pediatrician told me, generally babies under 11lbs dont have enough body weight to sustain themselves long enough to sleep through the night. Other than that generalization, I think that it can vary a lot. Erica has slept through (most nights) from about 4 months. We co-sleep some nights, and she always sleeps wonderfully those nights. :D

Glad my boy isnt the only one who is up alot!
I agree, we get about 11 hours now but he still wakes maybe once or twice a week for various reasons.
A top paediatrician was commenting on a program a while ago that there seems to be all this pressure for people to get their babies to sleep through the night when 5 hours is considered that, and it is causing many mums to get distressed or upset because they think they are failing because their baby doesnt sleep through like 'others' as he said they are babies they will wake, let them sleep through when they are ready.

I got terribly upset (isnt the word i am looking for) when Ewan was about 12 months thinking he should be sleeping through because 'every one elses baby sleeps through' but I should have just listened to my self and my own instincts, Ewan was a big and hungry baby and needed that extra bottle during the night.
I tried crying it out, controlled crying but to me it seemed unnatural babies cry or wake for a reason, they dont know spite or anything like that. so i have been getting up through the night for the past 3 yrs!! once or twice, and i will be doing it again with this one.

jack used to sleep through the night until teething and a few poorly bugs hit him. now he averages around 5 hours staight in the night although last night was awful. (think teeth are iminent if not :hissy:) now last time i had jack weighed a month ago he was over 17lbs so i dont thnk weight has anything to do with it x

but he was sleeping through clairebear... obviously teething messes it up again, but im sure he will sleep through again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrsA3000
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->