does the midwife.......

emzlouize

mum 2 Aidan & Angel Mason
Reaction score
take urine samples on ur 1st antinatal visit? and if so wot i she looking for?

Infections. I get a urine test every appointment. I go with a bottle with my first morning pee.

Infections. I get a urine test every appointment. I go with a bottle with my first morning pee.

good im glad coz i was worried that i wud have to do the asking for the tests! :)

Same here iv been twice and both times shes given me a bottle for the next appointment :)

You should take a pee sample with you to every antenatal app you have as they check for protein too. They usually give you back ya bottle so you don't have to keep asking. Well mine does anyway :)

I went with a bottle of FMU at my first scan appt, just like my letter told me then they told me they don't need FMU because we come in with a full bladder they just get us to pee in a cup after the scan....wish they had let me know that before I had sqatted messily over a narrow coke bottle opening!! :dohh:
I was checked for protein and infections and that sort of thing.

:hug:

At the first appointment she does a urine sample test. Or she might take it away, im not sure cant remember but she defo does one..then you have to do one every antenatal appointment after that, im still doing them now..they are to check protien levels, infection etc..You will probably be given a bottle at the end of your app ready to bring a urine sample in for your next app.

On your first app she will also take some blood, test what blood group you are, and abnormalities etc..then she does this again at 28 weeks.. I think thats all :)

From what it says it is to keep track of infections and also to check for risk of Diabeties - thats why it has to be BEFORE u eat anything in the morning that u do your sample.

Or if you have ate anthing before doing the urine test, u need to inform the midwife, for the glucose levels in the urine..

At my first midwife appointment she took my urine sample and tested there and then to see if any protein was present. She then gave me a urine bottle so I could take a sample to my first scan.
X

You'll have your urine chcked at every appointment from now on, whether it be midwife, doctor or for a scan so it's a good idea to be prepared and have one ready before you go. As the others have said it's for protine to check for infection but most of all to check for glucose as a sign of gestational diabetes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->