Don't know what to do

LDC

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been to the Drs tonight who has signed me off for three weeks due to spd, I'm currently 23 weeks pregnant.

The pain is bad (oh had to help me get dressed this morning) and I've not been sleeping properly, it came on Friday.

My worry is work and money. I'm only entitled to ssp which is like £17 a day which we can't afford to live off. My oh works full time and has a decent job but it wouldn't cover our bills.

I currently work three days a week but am community based so travel to work places all day so am in and out the car, lifting my carry case and going up and down stairs, which is why the dr signed me off.

I'm also in my probationary period at work and they e already extended it due to "not hitting my targets" but if I'm off sick then I'm not going to hit my targets so am worried this will be how they dismiss me. I hope I'd be protected as I'm off sick (and pregnancy related) but I have a feeling they'll try another tactic.

I know I shouldn't be going to work (next due in Wednesday) but I'm so worried about money and dismissal :cry:

Currently 23 weeks pregnant and only entitled to maternity allowance - will that be affected by sick? Xx

It would depend on a few factors such as how much you have earned per week in the previous 66 weeks. Have a look at this link for further information on eligibility https://www.gov.uk/maternity-allowance/eligibility

How long have you been with your employer? You are correct in that they may try another tactic to dismiss but a lot of employers would be very cautious dismissing a pregnant employee.

I have an HR background - pm me if you want any further information :)

messaged :) thank you x

The issue is that pregnancy related illness has to be treated the same as any other illness so as not to discriminate.
So they can unfortunately use the fact that you (currently, so temporarily) cannot do your job and thus cannot fulfill your side of the employment contract. It would be the same for anyone with any illness in the probationary period. If the targets were set before you revealed you were pregnant then its not that they have unrealistic expectations. I have lost a job (via redundancy) due to being off with the children being ill, as an absence is an absence.

I think you need to be very upfront with them. Is it a job you really enjoy? Do they have anything else you could do, or a way you could do your job that doesnt involve the physical aspect?

The issue is that pregnancy related illness has to be treated the same as any other illness so as not to discriminate.
So they can unfortunately use the fact that you (currently, so temporarily) cannot do your job and thus cannot fulfill your side of the employment contract. It would be the same for anyone with any illness in the probationary period. If the targets were set before you revealed you were pregnant then its not that they have unrealistic expectations. I have lost a job (via redundancy) due to being off with the children being ill, as an absence is an absence.

I think you need to be very upfront with them. Is it a job you really enjoy? Do they have anything else you could do, or a way you could do your job that doesnt involve the physical aspect?

Thanks for the reply.

I was given my targets during my probationary review (they knew I was pregnant at this point) where I was told I wasn't meeting them, which is where I told them I'd never been told these before this meeting.

I have found this on the CAB website;
Your employer mustn’t take into account any periods of pregnancy-related sickness absence when making a decision about your employment. Otherwise it will be pregnancy and maternity discrimination.In particular, employers must ignore pregnancy-related absences:

when calculating employment rights to do with length of service - for example, when choosing staff for redundancy
if they take action against you for a poor attendance record.
Example: You’ve been off sick with pregnancy complications for several weeks. Your employer has now dismissed you in accordance with their sickness policy.

This is unlawful pregnancy and maternity discrimination. You’ve been dismissed because of a pregnancy-related illness. It doesn’t matter that your employer would have dismissed someone else who’d been off sick for the same amount of time.

So I'm guessing that this type of absence is excluded from dismissal reasons; my employer has since said they will extend my probationary period again, which I'm ok with.

I just feel really stressed with the whole thing...I don't want to appear like a poor employee but then I don't want to jeopardise me or the baby, especially after my recent loss.

I called my employer and told him about my sick note and have taken this week off (I'm part time). I'm due to see the dr next week so think I'll reassess and start back again then if things pick up.

X

I was signed off pretty much for my entire pregnancy - 17 weeks on.

Maternity was not affected - They can't use it against you. Nor can they dismiss you for ANYTHING related to pregnancy as you fall under the disability act. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->