Don't you think this is mad?

L

Laura--x

Oh's little brother ( hes 2 and a half) has no routine whatsoever. He sleeps when he wants in the day, and is up untill how late he wants at night. His mum is up till 1ish in the morning anyway, and most nights hes up with her till that time too playing and all sorts.

He hasn't had a routine at all, they've never done a nighttime routine of bath/bottle/bed ect or anything to wind him down.

This is just pure crazy to me?

I was just speaking to oh about it, and he said ' so is our baby going to have a routine then' and i said yeah she bloody well is, atleast we'll try anyway, she will have a nightime routine and be put to bed the same time everynight so she learns to know when its nighttime and when it's time for bed. He kinda laughed and said, yeah thats going to be pretty hard to keep at and i said yeah it proberly will, but if you persist and do the same thing she will soon learn and get used to it. Then he said ' Well, they sleep in the day so they arn't always going to be tired that time everynight'

Am i dreaming when i say about the routine? It just amazes me how they have no routine for him, even ohs neice ( shes one ) is still up now, i said,has she not got a bedtime either? and he said well she obviously just isn't tired.

Hmmmm?!?!

I agree children need a schedule in their life. It helps with the parents also. I know that the first few months parents on the childrens schedule, but that needs to switch sometime.

my baby is in a routine at 6 weeks old, the only time she adjusts her sleep for what she needs is in the morning, sometimes she wakes up at 6am sometimes at 7/8am but she has her lunchtime nap for 1-2hours about 1.30-3.30 and goes to bed at 7.30/8pm! sometimes it can go wrong if for some reason the routine is disturbed and she gets cranky but every day about 6pm she starts yawning and i give her a bath bottle cuddle and bed. i think its important for the routine to be established, its hardwork but i think in the long run it will make life alot easier! xxx

archies had a routine since 2.5 months....it is very hard at first as yer a they wana do is sleep in day and be away at night but once they establish the differenc they soon start to get in their own routines and help them along rather then prevent it xx

Yes I think that is mad...:rofl:
I don't have a set routine that we follow everyday, but we wake up at 7 am every day and generally go to bed around the same time every night.

Noway i couldnt be without my routine its what keeps the family going! My two are really grumpy when we dont stick to the routine. I think kids need routine so they know where they are at!

Daisy doesnt have a routine cos she changes it herself. But she does go to bed at night at a reasonable time.
My 1st daughter had a perfect routine and that worked for her but Daisy is a completely different baby and it has been alot harder this time.

I am now finding that if we just "go with it" it makes life alot easier for us all, I was constantly stressing about how she wan't sticking to routines.

but i do agree that there should be a bedtime routine, like you said, Bath, bottle, bed.

Elyse has sort of gotten herself into a routine, she's up about the same time during the morning, then in the late afternoon, in the evening, and during the night.

I want to do bath-bottle-bed, but Elyse seems to get so excited by her bath already lol it wakes her up! Everytime I give her a bath she takes a bottle after then wants to be awake for an hour or so! So, I think she's going to be a morning bather..

Elyse has sort of gotten herself into a routine, she's up about the same time during the morning, then in the late afternoon, in the evening, and during the night.

I want to do bath-bottle-bed, but Elyse seems to get so excited by her bath already lol it wakes her up! Everytime I give her a bath she takes a bottle after then wants to be awake for an hour or so! So, I think she's going to be a morning bather..

Yup, some baby's get excited in the bath so it doesn't work at night. I was doing the bath - bottle - story time - bed but that went out the window when I started going out and her falling asleep at someones house and having no time for bath or story before bed.

for me, i think its soooooo important! maddi's had a routine from a few weeks, once we were actually sorted! and as soon as we came home from the hospital she went to bed early, we both went with her, and obviously she was confused, but i felt it was important that we all got our sleep.

imo babies like routine, we have followed maddi, but we have always stuck to a routine, she doesn't necessarily take naps at the same time, but always around the same time, and always has bath, wind down, bottle and bed, at between 7 and 8pm. she has slept through since 6 weeks, and now actually likes a lay in :rofl: over the bank holiday we didn't get up till after 9:30am both days :blush:

Gabbi has a flexible routine. It all depends on how the day before went. E.g. if she didn't sleep well, I will let her have a lie in, but then all the feeds change through the day ( but I make sure it's not a huge change or we would have hell!). Also, Gabbi is changing, she doesn't nap as much in the day anymore, she's eating more, so the routine needs to be adapted slightly. I think a routine is good for a baby/child, but flexible, after all, we adapt our day to suit our needs, we have good days and bad, but yes, routine is good.

Yeah it does sound a bit mad!

And is the mum not absolutely cream crackered? Looking after my 9 month old until 7pm tires me out, 1am sounds awful to me!

Hi Ya. I definately believe in creating a routine early on. Toby was in a routine from when he was little. He always went to bed at the same time and gradually it has got earlier and earlier. He slept through from around 4-6 weeks. He is now in bed by half six and gets up around 7am. We do the same thing every night, low lights with his lullaby on and he has his bottle then bed. We bath him every other night as he has slight eczema on his tummy and back xx

yeh a child definetly needs some type of routine...!! courtney is a bit crap with her bed time but she eats at the same time each day and we try and settle her at the same time each evening... and its been that way since she was very little!

some people find having their kids in a routine works some find it doesn't, personally everyone laughed at us and said a routine was stupid but now they can see the results for themselves, Lilly goes to bed easily and without fuss, she sometimes plays up but thats what kids do.

I couldnt do it without a routine

I am finding a routine very hard with on demand breast feeding I must say, he is different day to day...

I am finding a routine very hard with on demand breast feeding I must say, he is different day to day...

oh my i didnt have a routine until courtney was like 3 months or something... then when she weaned it was a lot easier!!

Becky has kind of got a routine give or take an hour each day!!! We bath her in the morning after breakfast as it is easier in our house in the day time!!!I think once babies get a bit older routine helps them feel more secure...They know how their day will go and when Dan was younger he was much easier to look after when we stuck to his routine, if we got out of routine he wouldn't settle and he would cry more.

I definately believe a schedule is very important. Children need structure in their lives and I believe that is the first tool. I'm a person of organization and having all my ducks in a row. If I wing it, I feel out of sorts. Being on a schedule with your LO is so much easier. When Peyton fusses, I usually know if he's just hungry, tired etc.... I will say that on the weekends we are a bit lax on the schedule but stick to it as much as possible. We tend to be out and about doing things and during the week we pretty much stay at home and take it easy.

Eugh, I need sleep at night, couldn't handle having a kid hanging off my ankles till god knows what time. Kids need a routine, they need to know night is for sleeping

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->